Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IKEA furniture is not same as show room

Options
  • 08-11-2016 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭

So I bought a large piece of furniture from IKEA €350 and assembled, all was grand till my partner had a look in the drawer and said "This isn't right, it's supposed to be wood effect inside the drawer".

I took photos of the what the unit was like in the show room and compared and sure enough in the show room the base of the drawer has a dark wood effect whereas the piece of furniture I assembled has like stripes instead. I feel it cheapens the unit and I probably wouldn't have bought it if it had been presented like htat.

I went back to IKEA at the weekend but the queue for talking to someone in customer service was over 30 minutes so I've emailed them in the meantime. I don't live in Dublin so it's not a trip I can do every weekend.

Obviously the unit is fully assembled now and I don't intend to dismantle so I can't really "package up and bring back". I went to check if the unit on display was still showing the wood effect inside the drawer and it still is.

What would be a reasonable resolution to this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

What does the catalogue show?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Here is a picture of the item

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/storage-furniture/cabinets-sideboards/hemnes-glass-door-cabinet-with-3-drawers-black-brown-art-50213589/

There is a picture (4th pic) that shows the inside of the draw but it's completely full so you can't see what is beneath.

Surely the expectation is that what you see in a show room is representative of what you will get. I mean if I bought a car in a garage and wanted a particular interior and what I received was different there is reason for complaint.

I've attached the picture I took from show room versus what I have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

The show room pic looks like its got a stray part of unpainted wood when you open the drawer that isnt in your pic?

Its certainly worth saying it to them - they might be able to just replace the drawers.

If not - would you be able to get dark drawer liners?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Xcellor wrote: »
    Here is a picture of the item

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/storage-furniture/cabinets-sideboards/hemnes-glass-door-cabinet-with-3-drawers-black-brown-art-50213589/

There is a picture (4th pic) that shows the inside of the draw but it's completely full so you can't see what is beneath.

Surely the expectation is that what you see in a show room is representative of what you will get. I mean if I bought a car in a garage and wanted a particular interior and what I received was different there is reason for complaint.

I've attached the picture I took from show room versus what I have.
    It clearly states..
    Drawer bottom/ Back panel: Pattern printed fibreboard

• Advertisement

It clearly states..

OK well then what I got is not as described:

The back panel is the wood effect but the draw is not, it is printed with stripes but not wood effect.

The show room pic looks like its got a stray part of unpainted wood when you open the drawer that isnt in your pic?

Its certainly worth saying it to them - they might be able to just replace the drawers.

If not - would you be able to get dark drawer liners?

I've sent them an email about it will see what they suggest.

All three drawers in the show room had black wood effect bases, but all my drawers have the stripes.

I wouldn't be in favor of disassembly since it's very easy to damage but if they sent me the full drawers with correct bases that would be fine.

Concerning dark drawer liners, if that is something they sold I wouldn't mind. I'm not going to spend more money though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

You're much better off going into them, take the queue on the chin and sort it out.

I had an issue with two wardrobes recently (one didn't have a door mirror panel), the second didn't have a correct middle piece for connection (had an additional end piece).

I went back and they offered a partial refund on the mirror panel that I accepted as it looks fine and I just bought a standalone mirror. I made a song and dance about the wrong piece of wood for the other wardrobe, as it's a 2 man job and I now would have to sort the build again. They stated that they would send someone around to build it free of charge.

I probably wouldn't have been offered either over an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

I've bought quite a bit of stuff in IKEA...occasionally I've had to bring it back for one reason or another....however, in fairness to IKEA, I've always found their customer service to be very good. You need to go there in person....allow for a bit of waiting. You'll have less of a wait first thing in the morning so perhaps an early start would be worth it?
    I'd suggest you bring at least one (or all) of the drawers and the receipt with you. They will generally do their best to resolve an issue no matter how trivial.....or significant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd be more unhappy about the colour of the wood on the inside of the drawer vs the rest of the unit than the bottom which looks like it has a liner in it. Certainly doesn't ruin it IMO.

I'd imagine they'd offer you a refund. If the design has changed there's probably not a lot else they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

Xcellor wrote: »
    OK well then what I got is not as described:

The back panel is the wood effect but the draw is not, it is printed with stripes but not wood effect.

In my opinion you have received exactly what they say as the drawer bottom "Pattern printed fibreboard" it does not say wood effect.
    The reason I say this is we have a Hermes chest of drawers and that pattern is exactly what we have in the drawer bottom in our unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,227 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

It looks like you got what is on the website although I would still go back to them and say the items in the store are misleading

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Really silly question - it probably wouldn't fit, but there's no chance the drawer base was inserted upside down during assembly?

MOH wrote: »
    Really silly question - it probably wouldn't fit, but there's no chance the drawer base was inserted upside down during assembly?

Exactly what I was gonna post.

I'd say, OP, the base is double-sided, so you can choose which you want. Open the drawer on the one you have and get down and look under it. It's possibly wood effect on the underside.

Exactly what I was gonna post.

I'd say, OP, the base is double-sided, so you can choose which you want. Open the drawer on the one you have and get down and look under it. It's possibly wood effect on the underside.

lol. I went and checked just in case but no it's just chipboard looking the other side. The only printed side has the lines.

IKEA phoned me to say they would dispatch replacement part for it. Originally when I emailed they said to bring it back for full refund but fitting an assembled wardrobe into the back of a car was never going to happen!

At the end of the day I bought something based on what I saw in the show room. If the items in show room don't represent what you get this is misleading. Fair play though IKEA were quick to react so can't fault them.

OK just to update the thread (because i hate threads with no ending).

IKEA dispatched replacements but they ended up being exactly the same as I already had...

I spoke to a lady called Jacqueline and asked if the bases in the show piece could be removed and updated with the correct bases and I could get what was removed. She arranged this. I received the parts today.

Attaching a picture to show the big difference. I think very significant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Thumbs up for IKEA then, really good customer service shown there.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's further than I'd ever have expected them to go - but it'll prevent the same thing occurring in future by having the display unit match the supplied product.

Advertisement