Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Fischer Legacy

• 08-11-2016 12:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭

Many of today's chessplayers are too young to remember the phenomenal effect that the Fischer v Spassky world championship match had on the world of chess. This week's Carlsen Karjakin encounter will largely go unnoticed by the general public but the 1972 match made front page headlines and was avidly followed by millions with no prior knowledge of chess. Chess boards sold out and anything to do with chess became relatively big business. The main benefit was the huge amount of people who actually took up chess and began to play in tournaments. I was probably, indirectly, one of these myself.
    This was a golden age and managed properly the chess world now would be a lot bigger than it actually is but over the years numbers receded and chess again became very much a minority passtime.
    The Fischer Generation are now all over fifty years old and many are no longer active in chess BUT as the huge amount of entries for the Senior World Chess Championships shows http://www.wscc2016.net/ the oldies have not yet quite lost interest and are willing to come out of (semi)retirement to compete with their peers.
    I have often made the case that senior players do not enjoy playing kids and invariably I have been abused and held up to ridicule for this view while others have accused me of being anti- children (completely ignoring the fact that I have coached over a hundred of them).
    There are very real reasons that "we" (the oldies) don't like playing kids.
    Firstly, they have all been coached, an advantage we never had at their age.
    Secondly, they are all booked up to the nines so often we feel that instead of playing them we are playing theory that we are too busy or old or too lazy to bother with. many oldies still play the same lines that Fischer did.
    Many youngsters are allowed to play in tournaments that they would otherwise not be qualified for.
    There isn't any social side to a tournament infested with kids and one can hardly have a pint with one;s opponent after the game.
    Finally no adult enjoys getting mashed by someone young enough to be his grandkid.
    I am not saying that children should be banned from tournaments or kept apart from adults but children should be encouraged to play with their peers more than they do . For example weekenders could have a "junior" section based on age rather than rating. More importantly there should be more senior tournaments or at least senior sections in tournaments. The oldies all play all that was held in Dublin this year was a fantastic innovation and long may it continue. The Irish Senior Championship is another tournament that I shall very much look forward to. There is definitely a cohort of senior players who could easily be tempted back into chess and never again will this group be as big as it is now because of the Fischer legacy.This resource should be tapped.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

All stuff and nonsense.

I'm actually tempted to close this thread as the "arguments" have been done so often at this stage, and I don't think it's ever been shown how such blatant discrimination against one cohort of players can serve any real purpose for the game. (Maybe a moany aul fella section instead of a junior section in tournaments?)

But let's give this thread a chance and see if anything new arises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭sodacat11

cdeb wrote: »
    All stuff and nonsense.

I'm actually tempted to close this thread as the "arguments" have been done so often at this stage, and I don't think it's ever been shown how such blatant discrimination against one cohort of players can serve any real purpose for the game. (Maybe a moany aul fella section instead of a junior section in tournaments?)

But let's give this thread a chance and see if anything new arises.

My post isn't meant to be "moany". There are over 500 players entered for the world seniors next week. Does this not show that there if the conditions are right that oldies will support tournaments? I don't see that many doing so in Ireland now. Instead of dismissing my points why not think of ways to tempt lapsed members back into chess?

There may well be lapsed players out there who could be brought back into the game.

Banning a large subset of players is not the way to do it though.

The game is thriving here in the past decade, and is all the better for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

Personally, as one of the "auld fellas" going to the World Seniors next week, I would be happy to play against the new generation in a specially formatted event that could assist them, e.g., maybe:

a) Clock simuls by three or four of us against groups of the best Under-12s with analysis of the games afterwards; this could easily be done during the junior championships after Christmas?

and/or:

b) a rapid tournament along Scheveningen lines, say, eight seniors (50+) against the same number of juniors (up to perhaps 14-year-olds), where each of the old guys plays each of the young ones over a weekend or 2-day holiday period, supplemented by a couple of lectures beneficial to the juniors, maybe by Alex Baburin and Sam Collins? Especially on endings where the juniors still tend to be weak.

The Senior players to get their expenses paid and lunches provided. Prizes for the best juniors.

No ratings at stake but some interesting games and beneficial to the juniors.

Would you be up for that sodacat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ComDubh

I've no problem playing juniors. It's one of the positive aspects of chess that we can all compete together. Junior players have certain advantages, but as Tim points out older players have other advantages. Actually, I much rather play a strong Junior I've never played before than another old fogey I've played twenty times already.

• Advertisement

There may well be lapsed players out there who could be brought back into the game.

Banning a large subset of players is not the way to do it though.

The game is thriving here in the past decade, and is all the better for it.

I said nothing about "banning" anyone

Personally, as one of the "auld fellas" going to the World Seniors next week, I would be happy to play against the new generation in a specially formatted event that could assist them, e.g., maybe:

a) Clock simuls by three or four of us against groups of the best Under-12s with analysis of the games afterwards; this could easily be done during the junior championships after Christmas?

and/or:

b) a rapid tournament along Scheveningen lines, say, eight seniors (50+) against the same number of juniors (up to perhaps 14-year-olds), where each of the old guys plays each of the young ones over a weekend or 2-day holiday period, supplemented by a couple of lectures beneficial to the juniors, maybe by Alex Baburin and Sam Collins? Especially on endings where the juniors still tend to be weak.

The Senior players to get their expenses paid and lunches provided. Prizes for the best juniors.

No ratings at stake but some interesting games and beneficial to the juniors.

Would you be up for that sodacat?

I would be happy to participate, especially with the expenses being thrown in.

sodacat11 wrote: »
    I said nothing about "banning" anyone
    You said "For example weekenders could have a "junior" section based on age rather than rating."

That's effectively banning juniors from weekenders. And it's utterly daft

Juniors, IMO, actually play too many junior tournaments.

Juniors, IMO, actually play too many junior tournaments.

And horses run in too many horse races? Perhaps they would be better off entering the greyhound derby?

Thread locked so, as it's clear this is just an attack on a large enough group of players, and it's clear nothing constructive can come out of it, particularly given this "debate" has been facilitated here too many times before, and no new points are forthcoming here.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement