Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recently finished a CELTA, looking for work in Dublin. What's the best approach?

Options
  • 08-11-2016 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I completed a CELTA course on Friday and am awaiting my final grade. Having no intention to move abroad just yet, I've sent my CV around to a few local schools and have received a few responses telling me that they're not hiring at the moment. It seems that this is considered the quietest period of the year for almost all of them. I'd imagine the next logical step is to pop in to other language schools in person, introduce myself, and hand in a CV, but I wonder if it'd be a waste of time.

In lieu of getting some work at a school, I'd love to get a few private lessons done. I understand that getting heaps of one-on-one work right away is not exactly the likeliest thing in the world, but I'd love to know about the best and most effective ways of putting myself out there. So far I've put an ad up on Gumtree and I'm going to put up a few posters in some cafes. Anything else I should do? I don't intend to charge as much as an experienced teacher would (so I'm thinking €15-20 an hour? Is that reasonable?), and my flat is not really suitable for lessons so I'd prefer to meet them either at their place or at a cafe. Beyond this I'm not really sure what I should be doing/thinking about.

Is there anything else I should be doing? What's the best way to get some work at this time of the year straight after finishing the CELTA? Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Meek

A good thing to do would be to ring the EL schools around the country and ask them for advice. They might have some vacancies themselves too. I've rang some for advice about doing the CELTA course and they have been encouraging.

Can I ask how you found the course? Did you stay in town during it? Was it FT or PT? If you'd like to PM me responses to those questions so the thread doesn't go off-topic for you, please do :-)

Advertisement