Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virgin media price increasing yet again

• 08-11-2016 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Just received an email from Virgin Media with yet another increase, another €4 per month. It's €112 a month at the moment with no sports or films package. Thanks VM, I'll now be bidding you farewell. There are a number of cheaper offers out there and I've just got Lazy and stayed with VM so thanks for the wake up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Be interested in hearing the justification they're using for price increases this year after the Eir Sport debacle. What did they say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Be interested in hearing the justification they're using for price increases this year after the Eir Sport debacle. What did they say?

"this year" - was the last increase not this year too?

L1011 wrote: »
    "this year" - was the last increase not this year too?

I don't know. I can't remember. Maybe they announce them around now but they don't kick in until January?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dasherdoyle

I don't know. I can't remember. Maybe they announce them around now but they don't kick in until January?

It's an increase of €1.50 for tv and €2.50 for broadband because we're getting a better service ????

It's an increase of €1.50 for tv and €2.50 for broadband because we're getting a better service ????

Better service, seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

You'd think it would be going down at this stage with Sterling going down the pan relative to the Euro, since most of the content is bought in the UK.

1.50 "fewer channels convenience fee"; 2.50 "wifi frustration fee" I presume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

They are loosing subscribers by the thousands and yet they are increasing prices ? Unbelievable.

Doesn't really make much sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

In an environment of zero inflation, these constant price increases by Virgin Media for their legacy TV bundles of crap are not justified. Hopefully, yet more consumers walk via switching to free-to-air or go broadband only.

For those that don't pay for premium sports, how can one justify 360 euro+ per year to Virgin for channels that are nearly all free-to-air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Absolutely crazy move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Just received an email from Virgin Media with yet another increase, another €4 per month. It's €112 a month at the moment with no sports or films package. Thanks VM, I'll now be bidding you farewell. There are a number of cheaper offers out there and I've just got Lazy and stayed with VM so thanks for the wake up.

How is it €112?

BB+phone is €50.
    Max TV €40.

Am I missing something?

2x multiroom I guess

Maybe they have too many customers and feel they need to get rid of some?

Or I suppose it could be that problem many companies face : too much income.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Have a look at the Eir offers and the Sky offers and see if you can get a better deal.
    I got the same email and I suspect I will leave them too as the TV is slow as anything to change channel, rarely records when it should and the BB is great when it works but can be hit and miss. The WIFI is a joke too which is a pity as the new generation of routers are supposed to be good. (they only offer them with a 360mb package)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭Thomas

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Have a look at the Eir offers and the Sky offers and see if you can get a better deal.
    I got the same email and I suspect I will leave them too as the TV is slow as anything to change channel, rarely records when it should and the BB is great when it works but can be hit and miss. The WIFI is a joke too which is a pity as the new generation of routers are supposed to be good. (they only offer them with a 360mb package)

Just been on to cancel and got renewed for 6 month half price. I'd just finished a 6 month promo term when the email issued so happy enough.

Hilarious when she told me I shouldn't leave because eircom's network has been hacked and all Virgin's competitors are susceptible!!! 😂

Thomas wrote: »
    Just been on to cancel and got renewed for 6 month half price. I'd just finished a 6 month promo term when the email issued so happy enough.

Hilarious when she told me I shouldn't leave because eircom's network has been hacked and all Virgin's competitors are susceptible!!! 😂

Misrepresenting your competitors is pretty low!

Also, eir's network was not hacked. There was a weak security issue in a ADSL router model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭Thomas

Misrepresenting your competitors is pretty low!

Also, eir's network was not hacked. There was a weak security issue in a ADSL router model.

I know that and you know that but I can assure you that many of the people I know would accept the statement verbatim.

Thomas wrote: »
    I know that and you know that but I can assure you that many of the people I know would accept the statement verbatim.

Which is why it's highly unprofessional for a sales person to do that.

Usually you just don't talk about your competitors at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Has anyone with a consession attempted to renegotiate contract with them?

My bill is sky high even with the consession, which is telling us alot about there pricing. If I had my way I would be dropping the TV side of things but the oul lad likes the recording and I am not sure what free to air box will be up to the same task.

• Advertisement

You'd think their prices would be falling though given that the majority of the content they're buying for TV is priced in £ sterling and we are paying bills in €.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Got reduced to 65 for 6 months, and 84 after that. Gonna cancel in June anyway when I move so happy enough.

I got 6 months half price, a price freeze for the last 6 months, ie no price increase and a 12 month contract rather than the 18 the offered at the start.
    I also blagged a new router as my old one was rubbish and they admitted that it was a poor router. I asked why their tech team had told me it was fine and had refused my request for the new compal router without paying for an upgrade.
    They also told me on a different call that I shouldnt move to SKY or EIR as their BB speed was very low. They didnt run down the competition but they did mention them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Which is why it's highly unprofessional for a sales person to do that.

Usually you just don't talk about your competitors at all.

Sure aren't they all at it, let's hope they get a "stern warning" ;)

23kdmiu.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Hi All,

Just off the phone to VM

I'm currently on the "240Mb Anytime World + Horizon Max TV" package at €85 per month

They offered me half price for 6 months (€42.50) and a price freeze for the remaining 6 months (€85) which overall I am happy with.

The girl mentioned something about sending me a New Router as the WiFi will now be split form the Horizon TV Box for all new customers? .. to be honest though she was a little bit hard to understand so I'm not sure I fully grasped this.

Can anyone possibly clarify?

ION08 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just off the phone to VM

I'm currently on the "240Mb Anytime World + Horizon Max TV" package at €85 per month

They offered me half price for 6 months (€42.50) and a price freeze for the remaining 6 months (€85) which overall I am happy with.

The girl mentioned something about sending me a New Router as the WiFi will now be split form the Horizon TV Box for all new customers? .. to be honest though she was a little bit hard to understand so I'm not sure I fully grasped this.

Can anyone possibly clarify?

Good stuff

The wifi from the horizon box is dire, beyond dire in fact. They will install a router, probably beside your box and it will give you much stronger wi fi in your home.
    Good job.
    Pick a spot to put it and let them cable it to there, or they will just put it beside the tv out of lazyness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,501 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The wifi from the horizon box is dire, beyond dire in fact.

Only if you listen to the moaners who make a lot of noise on boards complaining about the wi-fi on the Horizon box. Believe it or not, there are satisfied customers out there. This is what I'm getting upstairs, connected via wi-fi to a Horizon box downstairs....

5858651347.png

coylemj wrote: »
    Only if you listen to the moaners. This is what I'm getting upstairs, connected via wi-fi to a Horizon box downstairs....

5858651347.png

Nice
    your doing better than 99% of the moaners so.
    go you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Good stuff

The wifi from the horizon box is dire, beyond dire in fact. They will install a router, probably beside your box and it will give you much stronger wi fi in your home.
    Good job.
    Pick a spot to put it and let them cable it to there, or they will just put it beside the tv out of lazyness.

I haven't had any issues with WiFi through the Horizon box (the TV user interface is dire imo but thats a whole other subject)

I liked having the wifi come from the Horizon box as it was a much neater set up.

Just wondering why they are providing me with a separate router now :confused:

Wondering if it is some sort of "downgrade" or if its across the board to all VM customers?

• Advertisement

Wondering if it is some sort of "downgrade" or if its across the board to all VM customers?

Possibly to handle bigger bandwidth and/or to support Gbe Ethernet. The network ports on the Horizon box only do up to 100 Gb/sec so on a wired connection you can often get slower speeds than over 5Ghz wi-fi.

I haven't had any issues with WiFi through the Horizon box (the TV user interface is dire imo but thats a whole other subject)

I liked having the wifi come from the Horizon box as it was a much neater set up.

From chatting to the customer service 2 weeks ago, they had had a number of complaints and issues with the wifi on the horizon boxes and the were rolling out seperate routers to anyone who complained or who went to 360mb speed.

From my pov, its a massive upgrade as I went from dire wifi to great wifi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

coylemj wrote: »
    Possibly to handle bigger bandwidth and/or to support Gbe Ethernet. The network ports on the Horizon box only do up to 100 Gb/sec so on a wired connection you can often get slower speeds than over 5Ghz wi-fi.

Network ports on horizon are Gig ports, not 100 base.

Horizon only has enough tuners built in to do 240 meg, the new ones can do a lot more plus the wifi is better on the externals.

Network ports on horizon are Gig ports, not 100 base.

I'm pretty sure they're 100 Mb, I have a laptop with a Gbe port, when I wire it up to the Horizon box it tells me the speed is 100 Mb/sec. When I disconnected the cable and enable wi-fi, it connects to the 5 Ghz SSID and says the speed is 135 Mb/sec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

They are gigabit ports. If you are only seeing 100 meg you're not using a gigabit capable cable, your duplex settings are wrong or your adapter isnt actually a gigabit adapter (So many times its the adapter not actually being a gigabit adapter)

They are gigabit ports. If you are only seeing 100 meg you're not using a gigabit capable cable, your duplex settings are wrong or your adapter isnt actually a gigabit adapter (So many times its the adapter not actually being a gigabit adapter)

+1 It's not a gigabit adapter. I bought a premium laptop in November direct from a well known manufacturer, the webpage for that specific model said it was a Gigabit Ethernet port and I now realise that the long list of specs. in the order confirmation e-mail omitted any mention of the adapter speed (i.e. it never said 10/100 Mb) so they tried to pull a fast one. Won't be taking this lying down.

• Advertisement

Is there number you can call to speak to an Irish customer agent? I called 1908, pressed '1' to confirm that I was calling from my own mobile number which they recognised, then I pressed '1' for 'accounts and billing', then '2' to 'speak to someone about your bill' at which point I got someone in the Asian helpdesk but I had a serious problem understanding some of the stuff he was saying.

He denied that there was any problems with the network, despite the fact that we were down on the southside for several hours on an evening last week and I have had to switch the Horizon box off and on once a day for the past few days when it froze up. It also did nothing for about 5 minutes there this afternoon. I was clearly getting nowhere with him so I said I'd call back on Monday, I have until Dec 29th to close my account. How do you get talking to the loyalty people?

The e-mail I got about the price increase said that I could call 1908 option 1 to cancel my account, all I got was a virtual dead end with a guy who stonewalled me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I presume the purchase of UTV Ireland has something to do with the price increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DerekM1974

I've cancelled. TV box etc is being collected in early January. Went round the houses discussing the details of my account but invariably came back to the issue of me not paying €91 a month. Was essentially informed I won't get a better offer with higher broadband speed from any competitors. I'm willing to sacrifice that if it means a lower monthly tariff. Anyone moved elsewhere? Currently looking at bundle offers from Vodafone at half the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Sorry for this completely dumbass question...

I've always been pretty happy with the UPC/Virgin broadband but like many here am non-plussed with the TV hike; especially when i don't really watch too much TV. Was thinking of cancelling the TV and just getting broadband.

Now, I have a Samsung digital TV. I assume I can use the TV aerial cable that UPC installed many years ago to hook up to the back of my TV and use this to get the SAOR TV stations? I'm a bit of a Luddite so if i am way off base, i would appreciate some direction!

Many thanks!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Not Saorview, no. It's not connected to any aerial. If your TV still has an analogue tuner (it might) you should be able to pick up about 14 analogue stations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

icdg wrote: »
    Not Saorview, no. It's not connected to any aerial. If your TV still has an analogue tuner (it might) you should be able to pick up about 14 analogue stations.

cheers, so if i want to have a decent selection (i'm based in Dublin) i'm looking at a freetv/saor TV combo job. Thanks

Advertisement