Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I choose Visa or Visa Waiver (ESTA) for 3 days in New York?

Options
  • 08-11-2016 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm taking a short 3 day holiday in New York at the end of the year and have no idea if I should be applying for a holiday visa or for Visa Waiver (ESTA)?

From what I can see a holiday visa application costs €160 whereas Visa Waiver application is only €14 so my preference would be the Waiver option.

But is that a given? (I've no health or legal issues which would cause travel restrictions and am Irish citizen etc).

Is there any reason someone wouldn't choose to apply for ESTA rather than a standard holiday Visa...Looking at the USA website there doesn't seem to be a reason.

Basically what I'm wondering is what is the usual choice people make when travelling to USA?

And are there any pros and cons to either I should be considering before making my application.

Any and all information on this would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

ESTA lasts for two years which means that you can use it again if you travel back over. Go with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

ESTA is the norm. Only reason you would need a full visa application is if there are issues that may prevent an ESTA approval like a criminal record etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

After a few trips on ESTA, they start changing what queue you go through in the Customs Border Protection area in the airport - it's far easier

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I would think the holiday visa is there for those who do not qualify under the ESTA scheme. I've never paid for a holiday visa to the US despite travelling there at least once a year for the past 6 years. Always just went with the ESTA and never had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭DrFroggies

Thanks guys.

I'll go for the ESTA so - from what I can see it's just an online application process - pay the €14 fee and they ask you in for an interview.

Have I got that right.

If so I'm gonna fill the online application in right now (have a current electronic passport etc...which I only realised coming back from a holiday last month...so all good there).

Am I right in all I'm thinking there?

Thanks again.:)

• Advertisement

I've never been asked in for an interview and don't know anyone who has for the ESTA. You get it either granted immediately online or within a few hours you know if it's been accepted or rejected for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

There's no interview with the ESTA. Apply online and pay the fee and the only questions they will ask will be at the airport. Things like why you're going, how long, when was your last trip. Nothing too scary.

The Raptor wrote: »
    There's no interview with the ESTA. Apply online and pay the fee and the only questions they will ask will be at the airport. Things like why you're going, how long, when was your last trip. Nothing too scary.
    Do they still ask the in-airport questions if you check in online? As my memory is always of being approached in the queue for checkin at the desks byt the anonymous black coated people

Ah!!

Okay that's great. But is there anything sent in the post or anything to prove you've been cleared for visa waiver (or something to print out etc?) or are you just trusting that the system is updated and it's all coming up online/on their system at the airport?

Take a printout of the screen after paying?

It is somewhat vague as I recall...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Dardania wrote: »
    Take a printout of the screen after paying?

It is somewhat vague as I recall...

No need for a print out. Once its confirmed it's linked to your passport

Exactly - it's linked to your passport. I've always printed out the page after paying but that's more to remind me that I've done it.

Dardania - if you check in online you'll still get the questions if you're dropping your bags off. You'll also get them either in the pre-clearance in Dublin or in America when you go through their border security. No picking people out for this - everyone has to do it whether you have checked bags or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

Also be careful to go to the right website. There are some websites that apply a charge on top of the ESTA cost.

That's great folks it clarifies a lot...thanks a million for all of your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

cml387 wrote: »
    Also be careful to go to the right website. There are some websites that apply a charge on top of the ESTA cost.

+1 OP, have your passport and credit card at the ready. This is the official site and it's $14 i.e. fourteen dollars.....

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Munstermissy

You only need apply for it 72 hours before you travel

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You only need apply for it 72 hours before you travel

I wouldn't leave it that late, people have been refused for unknown reasons which could put the OP in a state of panic coming up to Christmas. Do it at least two weeks before you travel.

If you are refused an ESTA online, you have to contact the embassy to try to get it sorted, it's usually something simple and you probably won't be forced to apply for an actual visa but it's not an obstacle you want to hit less than three days before you travel.

All good folks!

Applied and Approved.

Thanks for all the advice and feedback!

Advertisement