Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountain Biking

Options
  • 08-11-2016 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi, I would love to start taking my mountain bike out on trails again but don't know anyone with similar interests, and would love to find like minded people . I live in north'side Dublin but drive so could easily get to Dublin mountains or wicklow. Is there anyone out there who can help? Thanks, Mark

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

There seems to be a few boardsies recently (including myself) who have got into mountain biking. How about a boards spin some (this?) weekend? I'm in Stoneybatter, maybe Ticknock might suit people?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

for details of spins for beginners go to
    www.epicmtb.com

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

colm18 wrote: »
    There seems to be a few boardsies recently (including myself) who have got into mountain biking. How about a boards spin some (this?) weekend? I'm in Stoneybatter, maybe Ticknock might suit people?

Not a bad shout

• Registered Users Posts: 35 MarkyBoi30

I'm actually busy with family commitments this weekend and next weekend, but would be free weekend of 26th. I'm north side of city but could drive to Ticknock if people wanted to go for a spin there

Cool - I should be free both mornings that weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 MarkyBoi30

Cool - I should be free both mornings that weekend.

We should def arrange something, has been a while since I did off road biking, have been only doing road cycling recently.

Maybe P_1 will want to join us too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I should be free the Sunday of the 26th if anyone wants to try a far bike for size

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭OldPeculier

I'm interested too and should be free on the 26th!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I'd be up for that on the 26th count me in. :)

btw I'll be bringing my canyon spectral size medium if anyone is looking at buying and interested in sizing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ogmaestro

I'd also be interested in a spin out to Ticknock......Sunday afternoon this weekend would work for me if anyone wanted a spin before the 26th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

for details of spins for beginners go to
    www.epicmtb.com
    MAD also do beginners spins, and Ticknock are their "home" trails. Mountain biking wasn't ultimately for me, but couldn't fault the club for the welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Any of youse lights and the want to do a few night time loops?? My usual crew are in some stage of injury or recovery.....:)

I could be interested - where would you usually go? Bought a cree light last week and want to give it a run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

I would be interested in joining some fellow boardsies for something like this. Will follow this :) 26th I am away in Edinburgh but most other weekends I am free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

I could be interested - where would you usually go? Bought a cree light last week and want to give it a run out.

Ticknock usually....
    I'm fairly new to the trail scene but would suggest a 2nd light...
    One for the head and one for the bike.
    I've a spare to get you round if needs be.
    I'm alternating nights between road and mtb at the minute so I'm on the road tomorrow night as it stands..not too sure about Friday yet.
    Worth it for the view alone...once there's no mist :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I'd be up for that on the 26th count me in. :)

btw I'll be bringing my canyon spectral size medium if anyone is looking at buying and interested in sizing.

Sorry for high jacking here but I'm trying to decide between a strive and spectral, is there any reason that you picked the spectral over strive?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

What's the story with tyres?
    Schwalbe have them from 13 up to 50 euros, and they look the same to me apart from a wire bead vs folding from 22 euros up

What should I be looking for for basic Balinastoe xc hard tail level?

ec18 wrote: »
    Sorry for high jacking here but I'm trying to decide between a strive and spectral, is there any reason that you picked the spectral over strive?

which particular models are you comparing?

It was a toss up between the nerve and the spectral when I was looking with the spectral having better spec and more travel and a dropper post

It looks as though the strive is a higher spec and price tag for 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

What's the story with tyres?
    Schwalbe have them from 13 up to 50 euros, and they look the same to me apart from a wire bead vs folding from 22 euros up

What should I be looking for for basic Balinastoe xc hard tail level?

Far and away the best/first upgrade to make is to convert to tubeless - nothing spoils a mountain bike spin like a couple of punctures! Most wheels can be converted with a kit!
    If you intend to stay on the Coillte trails then a Schwalbe Rocket Ron would be ideal - if you plan on venturing into more natural terrain then a Nobby Nic would be better.

They both look the same to me, small square knobbly grips.
    Way back in the day the cool kids had different front and rear tyres like the panaracer smoke on the back and dart on the front

http://adrenalinsportsimports.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/smoke_dart.jpg

So a more knobbly grip is where it's at these days?

Re Tubeless, the main advantage is stopping snakebites punctures? It does nothing for nails, thorns or barbed wire style punctures?

• Advertisement

Way back in the day the cool kids had different front and rear tyres like the panaracer smoke on the back and dart on the front

Re Tubeless, the main advantage is stopping snakebites punctures? It does nothing for nails, thorns or barbed wire style punctures?

No need for big "knobblies" if you're riding on Coillte type trails, they will just slow you down and make climbing harder work! However once you venture onto muddy or sloppy terrain they come into their own! I use 2.25 Schwalbe Rocket Rons with Snakeskin protection run tubeless all year round on my hardtail mountain bikes but rarely venture onto very technical trails!

The sealing fluid that you put into your tyres when running tubeless will seal most small punctures including nails, thorns etc! In the last 5 years I think I've had to put a tube in just once because the hole was to big for the fluid to seal!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Biopace

With the right latex sealant in the tyre you should get practically zero punctures. Only the big rips and holes cause the problems, but they will cause problems tubed or tubeless anyway.

You can also run lower pressures on tubeless which I've found makes a world of difference on some trails.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    You can also run lower pressures on tubeless which I've found makes a world of difference on some trails.

Yep - now running 23-24psi front and back and it really smooths out the ride and increases grip on my 29er hardtails!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Unless you're racing cross country, I would go with the widest tyres with the most grip you can fit on your bike. Really helps with confidence. I have Specialized Butchers on my trail bike and a Butcher front, Purgatory rear on my HT (2.3s). I run about 18psi front, 19 rear unless the trails are dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

They're different classes of bike; trail bike vs enduro/all mountain. Strive has more suspension travel and capable of taking bigger hits. The Spectral will be a bit lighter and arguably a better all rounder, although the shapeshifter on the Strive means it's actually a really good climber so the lines are blurred a bit.

Regarding tyres, even if the tread pattern looks very similar, other things that could be different are the compound and the strength and weight. Tyres designed for gnarlier stuff will have stronger sidewalls and sometimes softer compounds, which are grippier but draggier.

Biopace wrote: »
    With the right latex sealant in the tyre you should get practically zero punctures. Only the big rips and holes cause the problems, but they will cause problems tubed or tubeless anyway.

So if I put a tube of sealant in my tubes I get the same effect, with a risk of snakebites, and some extra weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Biopace

So if I put a tube of sealant in my tubes I get the same effect, with a risk of snakebites, and some extra weight?

Nope, rubber used in tubes is too flexible the sealant just won't work. As cheap upgrades go, converting to tubeless is probably the best bang for buck out there. Being able to run tyres at 15-22lbs on the right trail with no fear of punctures is one of life's little MTB pleasures :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

The Strive is an enduro bike, it's a lot of bike designed for racing rough technical trails and would be capable of riding most downhill tracks. It will excel at descending but has enough gears to winch yourself to the top. The Spectral is a very capable bike also with less suspension and would probably suit the vast majority of Irish trails. Be honest with yourself about the kind of riding you intend to do, if you aim to race a few enduros and prefer descending then the Strive is probably the bike for you. If you just want it for all day general ripping trails, the spectral is more than capable and will climb much better.

Advertisement