Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountain Biking

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Biopace wrote: »
    Nope, rubber used in tubes is too flexible the sealant just won't work.

I mean the sealant used in Road tubes

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Ticknock usually....
    I'm fairly new to the trail scene but would suggest a 2nd light...
    One for the head and one for the bike.
    I've a spare to get you round if needs be.
    I'm alternating nights between road and mtb at the minute so I'm on the road tomorrow night as it stands..not too sure about Friday yet.
    Worth it for the view alone...once there's no mist :D

Sorry, forgot to reply to this. Have a second light(cateye volt 700) on the bars but will order a helmet mount for this then I'll be ready to go :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

Thanks for all the replies I was looking at the bottom spec in spectral/Strive.... i'd think I'd like to get into some racing towards the end of next year so might go with the Strive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I would say if you go for a strive then it is also worth having a decent all-round bike like a hardtail in your shed also. Unless every spin you go on involves winching yourself slowly to the top followed by a balls out descent then that is a lot of bike and suspension to be lugging round for day to day trail-riding. I have a 160mm enduro bike and being honest it spends most of the time in the shed unless I'm heading for bikepark Ireland or a downhill smashey smashey type strava spin. I spend 80% of my time between my trail bike and my hardtail (I have a bike addiction problem)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

xxyyzz wrote: »
    winching yourself slowly to the top
    I take it you've never ridden a strive? I went from a 100mm XC hardtail to the strive and I was dreading what the climbs were gonna be like. Turns out I couldn't have been more wrong. On my first couple of spins on it I set several PRs on climbs! Ok, it's not as fast on fireroads, but on technical climbs it's as quick or quicker than my XC bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

I would say if you go for a strive then it is also worth having a decent all-round bike like a hardtail in your shed also. Unless every spin you go on involves winching yourself slowly to the top followed by a balls out descent then that is a lot of bike and suspension to be lugging round for day to day trail-riding. I have a 160mm enduro bike and being honest it spends most of the time in the shed unless I'm heading for bikepark Ireland or a downhill smashey smashey type strava spin. I spend 80% of my time between my trail bike and my hardtail (I have a bike addiction problem)

Yeah I have a decent hardtail in the shed already :cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

colm18 wrote: »
    Sorry, forgot to reply to this. Have a second light(cateye volt 700) on the bars but will order a helmet mount for this then I'll be ready to go :cool:

Grand Colm let me know when you get kitted out for night time...

I take it you've never ridden a strive? I went from a 100mm XC hardtail to the strive and I was dreading what the climbs were gonna be like. Turns out I couldn't have been more wrong. On my first couple of spins on it I set several PRs on climbs! Ok, it's not as fast on fireroads, but on technical climbs it's as quick or quicker than my XC bike.

Nope I haven't but if you have a 160mm bike, the fork and shock will soak up a lot more pedalling effort than an hardtail will regardless of the geometry making them a less efficient climber than a hardtail. That was the point I was making.

It's nice to have a hardtail in your armoury, particularly in the winter when you tend to go for more pedally spins. They keep your skills sharp too because they don't let you get away with sloppy technique.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Tomred13

MarkyBoi30 wrote: »
    I'm actually busy with family commitments this weekend and next weekend, but would be free weekend of 26th. I'm north side of city but could drive to Ticknock if people wanted to go for a spin there

Hi

Id be up for a mtb spin in ticknock on 26th aswell depending on family commitments.

Dermot

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Tomred13 wrote: »
    Hi

Id be up for a mtb spin in ticknock on 26th aswell depending on family commitments.

Dermot

Good stuff; looks like we'll have a few on the 26th so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Nope I haven't but if you have a 160mm bike, the fork and shock will soak up a lot more pedalling effort than an hardtail will regardless of the geometry making them a less efficient climber than a hardtail. That was the point I was making.

It's nice to have a hardtail in your armoury, particularly in the winter when you tend to go for more pedally spins. They keep your skills sharp too because they don't let you get away with sloppy technique.

+1 to this, hardtails are a lot easier to maintain in the winter weather too. My full suss will be serviced and apart from one trip to bike park Ireland over the Christmas it's staying in the shed until the weather picks up, the hardtail hones my skills over the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

However, on technical ground a full suspenion will track the bumps much more effortlessly, so you'll be able to apply more power and spend less effort manouvering the bike.

Enduro wrote: »
    However, on technical ground a full suspenion will track the bumps much more effortlessly, so you'll be able to apply more power and spend less effort manouvering the bike.

Yeah but you still don't need 160mm travel for that, that's why Jesus gave us anthems :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

The Shapeshifter on the Strive reduces travel on the rear to 130mm, raises the bottom bracket and steepens the head angle by 1.5 degrees. They call it XC mode, although trail mode might be a more accurate description. In any case it actually works. Climbing is noticeably easier vs DH mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

The Shapeshifter on the Strive reduces travel on the rear to 130mm, raises the bottom bracket and steepens the head angle by 1.5 degrees. They call it XC mode, although trail mode might be a more accurate description. In any case it actually works. Climbing is noticeably easier vs DH mode.

I'd love to show them the pinkbike thread on our bikes :):)

Advertisement