Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 large trees

Options
  • 08-11-2016 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Looking to get two of these cut down to the height of the cottage beside them. Not looking to spend 2K though. Lots of wood in the tree's so hoping to get someone in to cut and use the wood as part payment?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but are they your trees to cut as they seem to be in a public area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but are they your trees to cut as they seem to be in a public area?

Doesn't look public to me?

Seems to be behind gates on private property

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

That's a big tree. I'd be worried about an amateur cutting it down. It's close to a residential road and the branches are touching the roof of the house. If someone doesn't know what they're doing there's potential to cause a lot of damage or injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Doesn't look public to me?

Seems to be behind gates on private property

Sorry, looked like roadway looking in to me. I get it now. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I rather think that 2k and the insurance it implies would be well worth it. If I lived in the house beside it I would be asking for something to be done about it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one question i would have if the OP owns the property the tree is overhanging.
    if not, get a tree surgeon insured up the wazoo.

second, you asked about getting it cut back to the height of the cottage. you just want it taken down to a 12 or 15 foot stump?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

Ye the wife doesnt want it gone...cut it down to the stump but she wants it to about that height.

2K is a lot of cash to burn just for getting a tree cut down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a fair whack of that will be paying for insurance.

or put it another way, this is what you are paying for to not happen:

Chaos wrote: »
    is that the cheapest quote you've received?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

So the OP is looking to butcher two trees and wants someone to do it cheap, I'd laugh if it wasn't so daft.

2k is a bit steep but thats a lot of brash to get rid of for not much timber and just how much are green logs you can't burn for another year worth?

I used to work in TS many moons ago and I'd price the job high as its just a pain in the ass. A climber hasn't got much to attach to and there are masses of small long branches awkward to work and a lot of clearing up. I doubt there is too much chance of damaging the neighbors house as you'd have to be really stupid to do damage with branches like that but you still can't just drop then on the neighbors roof and then pull them off (some might). Normally you'd rope off the branches over the house but the tree doesn't have any good high anchor points to do that so more hand work in a tree thats awkward to work in.

I used to hate using them for tree work but may even be a job for a cherry picker so there is that to figure into the price.

Actually the more I think about it the more I think that for properly insured work and a site left clean 2K isn't that bad a price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Ye the wife doesnt want it gone...cut it down to the stump but she wants it to about that height.

How do you know it'll cost 2k, have you gotten any quotes?.
    Also bare in mind, if you get it done on the cheap (relatively speaking), you can kiss goodbye to any amenity or aesthetic value the tree may have after getting the work done, also any "cheap" option will not come with the expertise or skill required to carry out the work safely or competently and almost certainly will not have the required insurance to cover any eventuality with regard the house under the tree.
    If however you value the pleasing aesthetic nature of the tree, and the skill and expertise involved by the professionals in carrying out the work, then get it done professionally.
    Something tells me though that you will go with the former as if you already valued the latter you wouldn't need to pose the question in the first place, I may be wrong but that's the impression I get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Hi all.

Looking to get two of these cut down to the height of the cottage beside them. Not looking to spend 2K though. Lots of wood in the tree's so hoping to get someone in to cut and use the wood as part payment?

The type of person who will take the wood as partial payment either won't be an experienced tree-climber or won't have the required insurance. For a tree with so many branches overhanging the roof of a house, you want the person who is cutting to be an experienced tree climber and have the required insurance. Tree surgeons won't take wood as payment unless it is a valuable tree and that one isn't.

Best bet is to get a few quotes. Sending some cowboy up into a tree like that is a recipe for disaster.

Bad idea imo. It's so big that it will look crap when cut down by more than half. You'll end up with the same expensive problem in a few years. It's very close to the foundations of the wall and house.

What tree is it OP? Looks like it could be a very big field maple?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

a fair whack of that will be paying for insurance.

or put it another way, this is what you are paying for to not happen

The first one, no.3, was the worst...

It's somewhat crazy that anyone over 18 can buy a chainsaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Put an ad in a free paper, see who turns up to do the job.
    You'll quickly find out why tree surgery costs money, roofing is a bit more expensive than good tree surgery.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Put an ad in a free paper, see who turns up to do the job.
    You'll quickly find out why tree surgery costs money, roofing is a bit more expensive than good tree surgery.

Reminds me of the mistake I made offering a free oil tank with 500 litres of oil. Some guy claims he knows what he's doing then two Jokers turn up with a load of plastic drums. It could have ended worse but inevitably there was some diesel spillage.

bloody hell, i managed to sell an empty oil tank for 50 quid. i'd have charged five times that for a half full one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Amazed whoever is living in the bungalow hasn't cut back the tree to the boundary wall, they must like living in the dark ! Only a matter of time before your tarmac and or wall is going to be damaged by roots. Personally would take the trees out of it and I'd be doing it myself and using a cherry picker for access.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Squiggle wrote: »
    Amazed whoever is living in the bungalow hasn't cut back the tree to the boundary wall, they must like living in the dark ! Only a matter of time before your tarmac and or wall is going to be damaged by roots. Personally would take the trees out of it and I'd be doing it myself and using a cherry picker for access.

I agree. Id tackle this myself.

Trimming the tree back with a cherry picker seems like the way to go.
    You would be able to take off the branches in small, non damaging chunks on the house side starting from the top and working your way in. Gradually bring the tree down to a reasonable height before taking out the base.

Ive cut down similar trees by myself before but they were in wide open fields but i used the same approach (minus the cherry picker) and climbing the tree. They were a bit more structured. I definitely wouldn't try climbing this tree.

OP, Id wait a little longer until the tree has lost all of its leaves. It will just make life a little bit easier.

• Advertisement

You would be able to take off the branches in small, non damaging chunks on the house side starting from the top and working your way in. Gradually bring the tree down to a reasonable height before taking out the base.

Ive cut down similar trees by myself before but they were in wide open fields but i used the same approach (minus the cherry picker) and climbing the tree. They were a bit more structured. I definitely wouldn't try climbing this tree.

OP, Id wait a little longer until the tree has lost all of its leaves. It will just make life a little bit easier.

How do you suggest the OP get rid of all the brash?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Personally would take the trees out of it and I'd be doing it myself and using a cherry picker for access.

and how do you propose that an amateur tree fella swinging around in a cherry picker, with a chainsaw, would hold on to said non damaging chunks while leaning over his/her neighbour's roof.

Save us from the DIY experts or in this case the done it meself (DIM) expert :rolleyes:

raw

OP, Id wait a little longer until the tree has died and fallen over naturally. It will just make life a little bit easier.
    FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Oldtree wrote: »
    and how do you propose that an amateur tree fella swinging around in a cherry picker, with a chainsaw, would hold on to said non damaging chunks while leaning over his/her neighbour's roof.

Save us from the DIY experts or in this case the done it meself (DIM) expert :rolleyes:

raw

As far as im aware you cant rent a cherry picker without training.
    Most of the companies that i googled make you do some training with them.

I should hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭shane b

My mother got 4 large trees cut around the house about last year by a tree surgeon. He was insured and had all the safety gear. worked out about 200 a tree and he left us with the rings for firewood. We did get another gut who wanted almost double the price for the same job.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭shane b

My mother got 4 large trees cut around the house about last year by a tree surgeon. He was insured and had all the safety gear. worked out about 200 a tree and he left us with the rings for firewood. We did get another gut who wanted almost double the price for the same job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Oldtree wrote: »

Extraordinary condescension given you know nothing about my experience of felling trees :rolleyes:. Many of the branches on this tree look very light ( zooming in ) and could easily be dealt with by one person using a top handled saw. Two people in a cherry picker could certainly manage taking the boughs down in sections, though basic cop on would be a requirement, something which is not that evident in you tube videos of chainsaw mishaps.The only difference between this tree and the poplars, ash and evergreens I have taken down, roughly as described, is that they were taller with much heavier boughs. As I said I would be confident tackling this tree, but each to their own.

Ahhh google is your friend so......

The training provided must be comprehensive. Do they also provide the training necessary to dismantle a tree into non damaging chunks over a neighbour's roof over a public roadway while in said cherry picker, along with the necessary 3rd party insurance?

I think you are missing the point. There is no comparison between an open field and an eejet with a chainsaw who thinks he is Tarzan, and an urban environment and an eejet with a chainsaw who thinks he is Tarzan. :D

• Advertisement

Extraordinary condescension given you know nothing about my experience of felling trees :rolleyes:. Many of the branches on this tree look very light ( zooming in ) and could easily be dealt with by one person using a top handled saw. Two people in a cherry picker could certainly manage taking the boughs down in sections, though basic cop on would be a requirement, something which is not that evident in you tube videos of chainsaw mishaps.The only difference between this tree and the poplars, ash and evergreens I have taken down, roughly as described, is that they were taller with much heavier boughs. As I said I would be confident tackling this tree, but each to their own.

Not extraordinary at all. Your DIM post implied to the OP that they could do it themselves, not much more to know from that statement really. Your ignorance of working with large trees in an urban environment is obviousm otherwise you would be aware of the problems working in a tree with a chainsaw, over a roof and over a public roadway would be obvious, have a closer zoom in on the picture to see the hazards.

Your assessment of works/experience needed to reduce/fell the Op's tree is also severely lacking.

PS You forgot to mention the man on the ground ensuring no one went underneath works and the man on the road ensuring no traffic, etc, etc.....

Advertisement