Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone have info on Canyon Headset bearings?

Options
  • 08-11-2016 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a Canyon ultimate SLX 8.0. Love the look and spec of the bike. The only thing that worries me is that I can't find anywhere that sell replacement headset bearings. I would hope this bike would last for years so may end up going through several sets of headset bearings.

I know they use an acros headset but the 2016/2017 models do not use the ai-70 like the older frame.
    Does anyone know which bearing they now use? Ideally I'd like to buy a few sets just to have in case they become difficult to source in the future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

tuxy wrote: »
    I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a Canyon ultimate SLX 8.0. Love the look and spec of the bike. The only thing that worries me is that I can't find anywhere that sell replacement headset bearings. I would hope this bike would last for years so may end up going through several sets of headset bearings.

I know they use an acros headset but the 2016/2017 models do not use the ai-70 like the older frame.
    Does anyone know which bearing they now use? Ideally I'd like to buy a few sets just to have in case they become difficult to source in the future.

Your best bet is to order a set/headset with the bike (via email, as well as a rear hanger)

Once you have it and the bearings etc, you would be in a better position to get more.

Info is very scarce on them tbh. A head set from Canyon is about 69 euro, but it includes the Acros thingymebob.

The alternative is to buy the bike and take measurements after that? Or maybe email ACROS directly?

All that aside I am not sure if canyon have actually changed the Acros setup, but perhaps just renamed it.

Sorry, I'm not much help really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

No worries any help is appreciated.
    I found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CNf6bUrW7g . Takes your man all day to explain a very basic concept but it's defiantly a very different bearing from the 2015 model. The new model does not use the i-lock clamp system so the bearings are compressed by the stem like in most bikes but of course it still uses unusual bearings. I keep my bikes for a long time, my current one is 8 years old and it was a pain in the arse finding bearing for the specialized headset that it has so don't want to have to deal with that ever again.
    If I could find a source for the bearings alone I'd probably just buy 2 or 3 sets but paying for a full headset that many times would be far too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Eamonnator wrote: »

Both threads from before the 2016 model was released unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I still think the ACROS system is flawed... deliberately so, as its a proprietary system and you have to go back to Canyon for replacements at a high premium.

My question for other Canyon owners. When changing a stem or simply loosing it for travel etc. do you fiddle with the tiny Acros screw or leave the system as it is while removing the stem?

I ask this because it takes some force to remove the stem from the steerer tube and I feel like I'm upsetting the Acros bearing unit and that it needs some adjusting. However, adjusting the unit more than once wears it out as the little bolt eats through the plastic housing thus ultimately rendering it useless.

Is it simply a 'one and done' system and you don't need to adjust the tiny bolt unless changing a fork?

Hope that makes sense...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

I'd be surprised if the bearings in that system are any different from the bearings for a standard headset from the same manufacturer. I was chatting to a chap with a canyon a few months back, and noticed his top cap, he had the across system, looked a bit strange, but you can see their thinking behind it.

Some of the german online stores have their gear, and the spares for it

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Acros/The-Clamp-Steuersatz-Einsteller-p28298/

But if you go to this point in the video I posted
    https://youtu.be/_CNf6bUrW7g?t=250
    It's very clear that the bearing cartridges are very different in size.

Advertisement