Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major interior rebuild costs

Options
  • 08-11-2016 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, if anyone can help with this I'd be really grateful. For reasons I won't go into I have found myself under pressure to relocate a business premises. The Munster town in which the business is located does not have any suitable commercial premises available, and so I am looking at repurposing a derelict residential building. I will be getting a builder on site ASAP to have a look and give an estimate, but I have a meeting in the next 24 hours during which I really need a ballpark figure to hand.
    The house is stone built, and appears structurally sound as far as exterior and interior walls go- all straight lines, no cracks, very thick construction. It is a two storey building, approx 2000 sq ft, and will need the upstairs floor timbers replaced. I would guess the roof may need replacing. Obviously the entire interior will need replastering, rewiring, and plumbing work. The exterior will also need to be refinished, there was some sort of render over the stone which needs to be redone. All windows need to be replaced with double glazing.
    The house needs to be finished to a pretty basic standard, with a standard kitchen and one WC with shower. Other rooms will be pretty bare apart from office furnishings. I will also need to install oil-fired central heating.
    I realise this is a very vague spec from which to work, but assuming the structure is sound, can anyone give me an idea whether I am likely to be looking at 75/150/200k for bulding work? This really isn't my field and I'm going to be on the back foot unless I have a vague idea.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 163 ✭✭hannible the cannible

150 to 200 grand I'd be thinking depending on spec and fees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

You'll need a planning application, fire cert and disability access certificate for this work as it's change of use from residential to commercial. While you mightn't require a lift you'll require a fire stairs, disabled size WC, all fire doors and escape routes and whatever conditions the planners throw at you. I'd definitely be looking at the higher end of those figures. It's an architect/engineer you need to meet to see what's required first before you get a builder to cost it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 drdoolittle

Good to know- thanks for that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Dudda wrote: »
    You'll need a planning application, fire cert and disability access certificate for this work as it's change of use from residential to commercial. While you mightn't require a lift you'll require a fire stairs, disabled size WC, all fire doors and escape routes and whatever conditions the planners throw at you. I'd definitely be looking at the higher end of those figures. It's an architect/engineer you need to meet to see what's required first before you get a builder to cost it.

And then after all this and Assigned Certifier has to be engaged.

Advertisement