Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Useless Postmaster

Options
  • 08-11-2016 6:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭

I live in a small village, the local post office is at the postmasters house. On the signage outside her house/post office it states opening hours, 9:30 -17:30 and lunch from 12-14.
    Problem is I have gone down so many times during opening hours and she's closed or gone away. She is sometimes closed by 11:30.

Today I've had enough, raced home from work to make the post office and got there at 16:35. She was closed so I knocked into the house and she tells me "Sorry, I've it all locked up now and I have to go away". No bother to her like closing a full 55mins before shes suppose to.

Reason I've never done anything about it before is that I'm afraid she'd get closed down then we would have no post office. I don't care anymore she needs to get a warning or something, so who could I report this too and would I need any evidence? Im sure if they payed a visit to her any day they would see for themselves.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭joeysoap

you dont say where the village is. afaik every post office has an area office and this is where you should direct your complaint to. I would imagine they would inform her to stick to opening hours if she wanted to retain the office. You may be correct on the other part of your post, unless the office is viable it is unlikely anyone would take on the work, unless there is a decent shop in the village and they would appreciate the footfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Head Wreck wrote: »
    Reason I've never done anything about it before is that I'm afraid she'd get closed down then we would have no post office. I don't care anymore she needs to get a warning or something, so who could I report this too and would I need any evidence? Im sure if they payed a visit to her any day they would see for themselves.

She probably doesn't want the job but doesn't want the area left with no post office either. have you the number that you could ring beforehand and see if she is open for business?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

foggy_lad wrote: »
    She probably doesn't want the job but doesn't want the area left with no post office either.

She's still being paid as if she did the full time. If you or I only turned up for half the working day we'd soon be told where to go.

If the village has a shop its likely they'd be happy to take over the business.

Keep a log of when its closed during opening hours. When you've a few incidents logged email their customer care address and CC any local TDs/councillors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Pm me if you want retail director address

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭joeysoap

ED E wrote: »
    She's still being paid as if she did the full time. If you or I only turned up for half the working day we'd soon be told where to go.

If the village has a shop its likely they'd be happy to take over the business.

Keep a log of when its closed during opening hours. When you've a few incidents logged email their customer care address and CC any local TDs/councillors.

Afaik post offices are paid for what they business they do with a heavy dependence on SW. That's why it's almost impossible to get a viable post office in a small village. But if this office is still open it means it was considered viable at some stage, most smaller offices are now closed. Local TD's are more concerned about keeping offices open, so I think they will be loath to get involved about dispute over opening times, in case it would mean closing an office completely. Is the village a reasonable size, does it have a reasonably busy shop, and how far to the next office?

• Advertisement
Advertisement