Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

223 fox round?

• 08-11-2016 8:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

hi all.just got my rem 700 223 up and running,getting great groupings,with hornady 55 grain,would like to try other ammo too,or should i stick to the 55s?mate of a mate says he uses the hornady 40 grain on fox,as they are faster and flatter,anyone else use them?also does poi change with different ammo?thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

sniperman wrote: »
    hi all.just got my rem 700 223 up and running,getting great groupings,with hornady 55 grain,would like to try other ammo too,or should i stick to the 55s?mate of a mate says he uses the hornady 40 grain on fox,as they are faster and flatter,anyone else use them?also does poi change with different ammo?thanks

I bought a few boxes of those Hornsby 55 grain hollow point steel match.

They are dirty rotten horrible filthy smoky rounds. They do shoot great groups but you'll want to give the barrel a serious cleaning after them.

Stick with Hornady Vmax if you can get them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

sniperman wrote: »
    ............ should i stick to the 55s?
    No harm to try other stuff. See what it can do.

I'd look at:
    • American Eagle - 50gr - JHP
    • American Eagle - 55gr - FMJ
    • Remington UMC - 50gr - JHP
    • Remington UMC - 45gr - JHP
    • Hornady V-Max - 53gr - BT
    • Hornady V-max - 40gr - BT
    • Hornady Steel Match - 55gr - HP
    • Norma V-Max - 40gr - BT
    • Norma V-Max - 50gr - BT
    • Fiocchi V-Max - 50gr - BT

I know it's a lot of ammo, and there is no need to try it all, but it's fun and gives good trigger time.

One thing i would recommend. Stay clear of the Fiocchi 50gr HP. They come in boxes of 50 and are cheap at around €30. They are muck, imo. Worse even than the TulAmmo but without the price saving. I've tried it in three 223 rifles (semi auto, factory bolt, custom 223) and none of them could group less than an 1" at 100 yards.

It was so bad i fired three rounds out of a box given to me, and gave the box to another lad. He got the same results and passed the box. I think i went to about 4 people before just being used to break a barrel in.

Lastly take note of the different types. Some are FMJ or match and not suitable for game.
    mate of a mate says he uses the hornady 40 grain on fox, as they are faster and flatter,anyone else use them?
    They are lethal. Excellent round.

With a 100 yard zero there is pretty much no drop out to 200 yards. Scary fast and seriously flat round. A real point and shoot type of round giving you great PBR.
    also does poi change with different ammo?thanks
    I can zero my rifle for 100 yards with 55gr v-max. Now if i use a 55gr, 53gr, 50gr, 45gr, etc. whether it be v-max, Hornady, Fiocchi, American Eagle or whatever the 100 yard zero remains pretty much the same. IOW any difference is so small as to not cause a problem.

The only difference you'll notice is when you start to push the various rounds out the distances (200 yards plus). At this point the POI will change for the different rounds.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭sniperman

thanks a bunch lads, much appreciated,ive a bit to learn yet,but i guess thats all part of the fun,gonna try those 40 grains next,they sound good

I've found the Hornady hard to get. I mean really hard, but if you're stuck i see Patrick Carley has Norma 40gr V-Max. Same difference. :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭sniperman

was out this morning for a few shots,and to try out some 55 gr hornady sp a mate gave me,im bang on with 55gr bt,but the sp were about 2"high,i clicked down 8 clicks,and bang on,one keyholed,then tried the 55 bt,was 2"under,poi changed,is that normal?great accuracy with both rounds,just had to click a bit,,thanks lads

• Advertisement

Yup, its normal.

You'll find some rounds will group the same at 100 yards and only spread the POI at longer distances. IOW they'll have the same zero. Some will be off by so little that you might as well call it the same 100 yard as the others. Then you'll have some rounds that will have their own zero and will require adjustment.

The 40gr stuff will do this. Lighter, faster round. So makes sense it'll have a different POI. However some similar rounds will be different. The Fiocchi 50gr HP have a different zero to the American Eagle 50gr HP. Same bullet but due to different propellant, primer, case neck tension, or seating depth the zeros were not the same when i tried them.

Check out this post of mine. Not too many different rounds and i tested with ammo i got with the guns rather than what i chose, but gives you an idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Don't use fmj. They'll go straight through the fox. And then you've to search for him.
    I use Remington 55gr hp. Drops em every time and does the damage aswell. Exit hole is a good whack

Advertisement