Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone fancy a project?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Let me at it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

It doesnt look too bad for some thing that went BOOM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Were I in Scotland I'd use it as a donor boat - the cracks/fissures in the 'glass would be a nightmare to treat/fix, seams parted, bulkheads sprung, drip, drip, drip.
    (@Sogood, hope you're paying attention to what can happen with gas, seeing as you are planning some plumbing of that variety!:);) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Were I in Scotland I'd use it as a donor boat - the cracks/fissures in the 'glass would be a nightmare to treat/fix, seams parted, bulkheads sprung, drip, drip, drip.
    (@Sogood, hope you're paying attention to what can happen with gas, seeing as you are planning some plumbing of that variety!:);) )

Thank you for that vote of confidence pedro. And there I was, thinking I was being very responsible, siting the gas cylinder outside on the deck, in a ventilated cabinet, up off the deck floor. Ah well, so be it. At least the explosion should negate the need to launch any flares.

But on a related topic, and more seriously, does anybody ever have any concerns about having gallons of petrol sloshing about on the deck, in a plastic container/tank?

Just wondering...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

sogood wrote: »
    Thank you for that vote of confidence pedro. And there I was, thinking I was being very responsible, siting the gas cylinder outside on the deck, in a ventilated cabinet, up off the deck floor. Ah well, so be it. At least the explosion should negate the need to launch any flares.........
    Hi Sogood,
    I wasn’t being smart, just raising the warning flag.;) Butane gas is twice as heavy as air, so if there is any leak it sinks and builds up in the bilge. If it is in the open and there is wind it might be dispersed, but it’s playing poker unless you do things properly. If there has been a leak, you come aboard, turn on the electrics or a key in the ignition and then boom, because the electrical ‘stuff’ (masterswitch/solenoid/whatever) is low down in the boat, in the bilge.

I know of three explosions, the first was on a quarter-tonner in Dun Laoghaire, the second was in your neck of the woods where a guy was lucky to be blown overboard with nothing more than burns and a bruise or two (PM sent) and the third was down the Med. with a fatality. Be rigid in the system – copper piping, minimum of joints (best none), have a valve on the cylinder, have a valve at the cooker. Turn off at the cylinder first, let the flame on the cooker burn out, then turn off at the valve before the cooker and then turn off the cooker.

As a kid our gas was in a locker up on the deck, in front of the wheelhouse and we still had the above valve system. Woe betide anyone who took the lazy option in turning off the cooker.

• Advertisement

Hi Sogood,
    I wasn’t being smart, just raising the warning flag.;) Butane gas is twice as heavy as air, so if there is any leak it sinks and builds up in the bilge. If it is in the open and there is wind it might be dispersed, but it’s playing poker unless you do things properly. If there has been a leak, you come aboard, turn on the electrics or a key in the ignition and then boom, because the electrical ‘stuff’ (masterswitch/solenoid/whatever) is low down in the boat, in the bilge.

I know of three explosions, the first was on a quarter-tonner in Dun Laoghaire, the second was in your neck of the woods where a guy was lucky to be blown overboard with nothing more than burns and a bruise or two (PM sent) and the third was down the Med. with a fatality. Be rigid in the system – copper piping, minimum of joints (best none), have a valve on the cylinder, have a valve at the cooker. Turn off at the cylinder first, let the flame on the cooker burn out, then turn off at the valve before the cooker and then turn off the cooker.

As a kid our gas was in a locker up on the deck, in front of the wheelhouse and we still had the above valve system. Woe betide anyone who took the lazy option in turning off the cooker.
    Nor was I being smart, just my odd sense of humour. Thanks for the suggestions and yes, I intend using microbore copper to the cylinder, with valves as suggested.

The cabin is sealed from the hull (moulded fibreglass floor, no joints) and is down a few steps. The cylinder, up on deck, will have plenty of ventilation and I'm considering putting a vent in the hull, at the base of the cylinder, so any leakage would have a good chance to disperse overboard. I realise that you can't be too careful, nor can you legislate for every eventuality, but you can shorten the odds. I got the PM thanks, sobering stuff.

PS I enjoyed the bank holiday also, working in the kitchen! See you about and thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

On the German boat licence test I just took it says that tanks should be housed above deck with an opening in the housing leading overboard at deck level as the gases are heavier than air and should be able to "pour" out overboard in the event of a leak. Over here the equivalent of an RGII must install such equipment on a boat and sign off on it, in the interests of public safety.

murphaph wrote: »
    On the German boat licence test I just took it says that tanks should be housed above deck with an opening in the housing leading overboard at deck level as the gases are heavier than air and should be able to "pour" out overboard in the event of a leak. Over here the equivalent of an RGII must install such equipment on a boat and sign off on it, in the interests of public safety.
    That's the problem here in Ireland. What is actually legislated for is usually done to death. And then on the flip side, too many things are left at the individuals discretion. My OH is German and she can't understand the relaxed attitude we have to so many things.
    Anyway, the set up your described is pretty much exactly how I intend to go, with the cylinder up on deck, in a cabinet and ventilated overboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

I have a boat where the gas locker is outside with the lid 14" above deck with the rest of the locker below deck.

The floor of the locker is below the waterline and there is a hole through the hull at the water line (a little below, and a little above) allowing the locker take on a couple of inches of water. The bottles sit on a rack above the water level.

If a leak did occur the gas would drop to the bottom and the wave motion of the water pushes any trapped gas out the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭connel42

I hear she's sold and coming to Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Nice collection of projects on DD the Bounty 34 sedan would have been the perfect boat for me. https://www.donedeal.ie/boats-for-sale/projects-projects-projects/13914013

fergal.b wrote: »
    Nice collection of projects on DD the Bounty 34 sedan would have been the perfect boat for me. https://www.donedeal.ie/boats-for-sale/projects-projects-projects/13914013

So many boats and so little time! I take it they are all inland waterways boats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

sogood wrote: »
    So many boats and so little time! I take it they are all inland waterways boats?

Yep. All ex hire boats by the look of it. The bounty is a great boat for the Shannon alright, they've got a midships double cabin which few boats of their type and size can fit.

Ex hire means it needs a fergal style refurb, I think I'd rather buy a good one.

Advertisement