Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Membership Cork

Options
  • 08-11-2016 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭

Anything new from clubs in Cork area??

Any news on Castlemartyr since the new owners took over?
    Is the hello money still there?

Fota, Cork, Douglas still the top priced clubs?

Lee Valley, Muskerry, Monkstown as you were?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Hopefully theres a turn in the club side of things soon. It's up there with Blarney as being a ghosttown for a clubhouse. Love the track, but genuinely no club atmosphere any time I play there. If I was local and there was an upturn in numbers I'd seriously consider it though. No more than 1200.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭whizbang

I believe Castlemartyr is 2k hello money, Douglas is 7K!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Dbu

Joined Douglas myself a while back, price above is correct. New membership round closing this week I believe
    Best decision I ever made, great club atmosphere and really close to where I live, so 9 holes in the evenings is great during the summer
    I believe Monkstown are reintroducing a joining fee this year but I cant confirm that

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Southern Comfort

Yes, the closing date for the current round of applications for Douglas G.C. is Tuesday next, Nov. 15th.

You can pay the €7k over 5 years. The annual sub is around €1300 with €100 of that going on your GUI card to use in the bar or restaurant.

Definitely the best club atmosphere in Cork. Fine course, great greens and very friendly members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭luvthegame

Just heard Castlemartyr looking to take in some extra members quickly. If you know a member you can join for 2017 paying sub only no joining fee.
    I dont know anything other than that. From what i heard you will have to ring Brady directly. Not being advertised.

• Advertisement

luvthegame wrote: »
    Just heard Castlemartyr looking to take in some extra members quickly. If you know a member you can join for 2017 paying sub only no joining fee.
    I dont know anything other than that. From what i heard you will have to ring Brady directly. Not being advertised.

Not really nice on those that have paid the joining fee already ?????
    That is seriously bad business if they have taken in members already at 2K a pop

You can pay the €7k over 5 years. The annual sub is around €1300 with €100 of that going on your GUI card to use in the bar or restaurant.

Is it true ye have 50 new members for next year on the books?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Dbu wrote: »
    Not really nice on those that have paid the joining fee already ?????
    That is seriously bad business if they have taken in members already at 2K a pop

Agreed not really nice, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

It's only bad business if the entrance fee is represented by shares, that is not the case in Castlemartyr, the entrance fee is "hello money" i.e dead money.

Agreed not really nice, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Not in the same calendar year though, fair enough if a different year

I wouldn't think so, Andy. There has never been a waiting list in Douglas. In the bad old days when it was difficult to become a member, a new list of applicants was drawn up each year.

Nowadays, it's much easier to become a member. While nobody is guaranteed that they'll be accepted as a member, all who have applied for membership in the past few years have had their applications accepted. And we have got quite a few excellent, active new members in that time. It's an attractive club to join, for many reasons, but the fact that it's right at the edge of the city is a big plus.

I know one or two golfers who have told me that they will apply next year rather than this year (due to financial circumstances). It's possible that a few people like this have asked to put their applications on file for next year but there's no big list as such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭paulos53

luvthegame wrote: »

Cheers for the heads up on this.
    I dropped in my application form this morning :)

paulos53 wrote: »
    Cheers for the heads up on this.
    I dropped in my application form this morning :)

Castlemartyr is a fine course. I always enjoy playing there.

I believe the final figure is in the mid 30's. Not bad at 7k a pop

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Yes, the closing date for the current round of applications for Douglas G.C. is Tuesday next, Nov. 15th.

Definitely the best club atmosphere in Cork. Super Fine course, Irelands best great greens and very friendly members.

Fixed your post there...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Castlemartyr is a fine course. I always enjoy playing there.

Slightly off topic but maybe relevant, Very wet there last Saturday, which is surprising as I always considered the drainage there to be the best around.

Slightly off topic but maybe relevant, Very wet there last Saturday, which is surprising as I always considered the drainage there to be the best around.

I played it early March or thereabouts this year and surprised at the amount of wet ground too.
    I know nothing about drainage but is there such a thing as them getting blocked? It was always known as a good all year rounder but not recently imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

Fixed your post there...

cant agree with that. Its a good course wouldnt call it a super course by any stretch of the imagination.

greens in super condition alright

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

slingerz wrote: »
    cant agree with that. Its a good course wouldnt call it a super course by any stretch of the imagination.

greens in super condition alright

If everyone agreed on everything wed live in a strange place!

I think its a super course, has a lot of variety for shot shape, has tough tee shots, easy tee shots and will punish off line play.
    Its always immaculate so that all qualifies as a super course in my book.

If everyone agreed on everything wed live in a strange place!

I think its a super course, has a lot of variety for shot shape, has tough tee shots, easy tee shots and will punish off line play.
    Its always immaculate so that all qualifies as a super course in my book.

Agreed relative to what's on offer in Co. Cork, it's excellent, but for a county of it's size the golf offerings are poor.

Agreed relative to what's on offer in Co. Cork, it's excellent, but for a county of it's size the golf offerings are poor.
    Fota, Old head, The Island, are not that bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭moycullen14

That's right. Golf courses in Cork are not great at all. One of the ver few coastal counties without a links course (prizes for the other ones).

Cork, Fota an Old Head are good but the rest are only average, especially compared to the world class links in Kerry & Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

I'm keen to join a club in Cork and was looking for some advise from members on which to go for. It's between Cobh, Lee Valley and Kinsale. I've played Lee Valley the most and would be my preferred option due to proximity to my house and I enjoy the course layout/ condition. Any opinions if its worth the extra 300euro, is it welcoming for new members etc? cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭big_drive

I see Blarney is advertising €699 for rest of 2017
    Might be of interest to someone

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭recycled

That's right. Golf courses in Cork are not great at all. One of the ver few coastal counties without a links course (prizes for the other ones).

Cork, Fota an Old Head are good but the rest are only average, especially compared to the world class links in Kerry & Clare

Could not agree more, no links bar Old Head in the county. So much coastal land not taken advantage of, I'd e imagine the demand for a local links would be enormous .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

recycled wrote: »
    Could not agree more, no links bar Old Head in the county. So much coastal land not taken advantage of, I'd e imagine the demand for a local links would be enormous .

NO NO NO [bangs ahead against the wall]!!!! Old Head is not a links. Not. A. Links. Not ever!

Phew, glad I got that off my chest.:D

NO NO NO [bangs ahead against the wall]!!!! Old Head is not a links. Not. A. Links. Not ever!

Also you should have pointed out to him, that there is no suitable links land in Co. Cork, and that is the only reason why there is no links course.

Also you should have pointed out to him, that is no suitable links land in Co. Cork, and that is the only reason why there is no links course.

Didn't know that. A county with next to most coastline a county has to offer and not one 2 mile stretch available to develop...

Paging Donald Trump Paging Donald Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

I just joined Lisselan outside of Clonakilty at €245 for yearly sub (first year offer only).

Pros: it's a lovely course set in mature woodland with water in play on 4 of the 9 holes, elevation changes, strategy required, some great holes (I love hole 6 par 4) and some tough holes as well as some respite. There seems to be a nice member vibe and popular competitions every weekend morning. Greens were in great condition when I first played in November, at the moment they are 'grand' and should improve again soon.

Cons: it's a 9 hole course which doesn't bother me but may bother some, it does get wet there and it has been closed 2 of the last 4 or 5 weekends, there aren't great facilities (old nets, a practice green 200m away that should be in better nick, although for most of the year they use a spare green on a hole that is only used in winter)

The club was taken over recently by the members. I don't know the ins and outs of what this may mean legally or financially for the future, but there definitely seems to be a lot going on in terms of competitions, improving the course, and trying to attract new members.

It might not be everyone's cup of tea but for me it's a great option to try out a full membership on a good track without having to worry too much if in the end I don't/can't play as much as I would like. 50 mins drive from Cork City.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Also you should have pointed out to him, that there is no suitable links land in Co. Cork, and that is the only reason why there is no links course.

Not quite. There are some lovely stretches around inchydoney to ownahincha and Ross carbery that would make for a great links. Iirc there were plans to build a links in inchydoney but I think environmental concerns hit it on the head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Didn't know that. A county with next to most coastline a county has to offer and not one 2 mile stretch available to develop...

Paging Donald Trump Paging Donald Trump.

There is some links land, but it's very limited. There used to be a 9 hole course at Barleycove, where I learned to play! It's been gone a good while now.

Other than that I'm not aware of any links terrain. (Edit - see previous post re land around Inchydoney)

Funny how it works out that way. Does this mean only Waterford and Cork don't have a links golf course?

As for Old Head - it's an incredible place to play golf but it's on cliffs 300 feet high so it simply can not be a 'links'.

Advertisement