Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do SNA's do their 72 croke park hours???? Impact keeping very quiet about this

Options
  • 08-11-2016 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

It infuriated me to hear government ministers saying that other public sector bodies all do their croke park hours when SNA's in my experience do not do their 72 croke park hours.

Impact further infuriated me coming on mentioning about renegotiating deals for members - SNA's were mentioned.

SNA's do not do the following

1. They take longer breaks than they are supposed to.

Google SNA CIRCULAR 12/05 Department of Education and Skills

Under this circular SNA's are to take breaks under the Working Time Act. Google it and you will see that 40 minute lunches and 20 minutes mid morning breaks are in excess of this requirement. They have a much much shorter day than similar employees - such as care assistants in the health board - yet take longer breaks. Whilst they have longer classtime than secondary teachers (not primary teachers) they do not have to cater for 300 students like secondary teachers do or to do the assocated planning and correction take home work that teachers have to do. Teachers free classes are most often spent either doing supervision and substition or correcting / planning / meeting other teachers principals. It is certaintly more exhausting teaching a full class than it is sitting with one student in a class.

2. They do not do their 72 croke park hours. ( in my experience )

It is mentioned in some circular that HOW the croke park hours are used are at the discretion of management yet that is often misinterpreted conveniently that it is at the discretion of management whether the hours are to be used. The 72 croke park hours are supposed to be done. See attached circular in relation to SNA's 72 croke park hours. iT would be a great help to subject teachers who have to differentiate materials for down syndrome students and others with special needs if SNA's did an hour or two after school to help out that way. Similarly teachers of special units would benefit from such help with resources. google the circular below in relation to sna 72 croke park hours.

google circular 0071/2011

3. They do not work the month of June -
    despite the JMB issuing a directive to school managers last year that they work the month of June.

Fair enough they do scribe / reader in some schools - but this in my opinion was brought in so that the students who had an SNA would have their SNA that they were familiar with scribing for them etc. However often SNA's act as scribe to other students. This scribe work could be given to graduates / traines teachers / part time teachers to take them off the dole queues - it is double jobbing for sna's as they are supposed to be in school for the month of June similar to sna's in primary schools. The argument may be made there is nothing for them to do for the month of June but I'm sure if principals asked teachers / school secretary / deptuy principal etc that there would be work that they could help out with. In addition circular 0071/ 2011 gives suggestions as to work sna's could do in June.

This is another circular in relation to SNA's

google circular 0030/2014

I have absolutly no grievance with SNA's. I think they do a great job. It's not fair though that the governemtn and IMPACT stating that other public sector members doing their croke park hours when clearly SNA's are not. They are doing less hours than their terms and conditions dictate. They have different contracts to teachers. More class contact but - no planning or corrections to do - + are not under the threat of an inspection - can come and go freely. If is an issue with a student they report it to the subject teacher or principal who is responsible for sorting it out.

What teachers are annoyed about in relation to croke park hours are that they already do way way more extra hours a year than a measly 33 hours - they do a huge amount of extra time planning planning planning , preparing preparing preparing and correcting correcting correcting - so why add an extra 33 horus for sometimes pointless meetings / talks. Thats what they are annoyed at. SNA'S could help teachers out with preparing materials for students with special needs who are in teachers classes or with tidying up or items suggested in circular 0071/2011 as they do not have to bring work home (fair enough) but nor do they fulfil the 72 croke park requirment hours.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

There are plenty of public sector groups that don't do CP hours despite the media bluster but I don't think it is necessary to turn on our colleagues at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Connor2016

I'm not turning on our colleagues. I'm just stating facts. I thought I was going to get a reply or replies like this. Why do we have to do the 33 hours when SNA's do not do their croke park hours ( in my experience - perhaps they do them in your school ) ? What is wrong with asking that question ? Also I do not know about other public sector groups or if they do their corke park hours - I have no experience or evidence of them fulfilling or not fulfilling their croke park hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Mr Arrior

You are turning on SNA's, your not happy about your current situation so you are trying to bring SNA's down with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Wow. I don't have anything against SNAs but ..........

Give over this is the best attempt at a troll I have ever seen (due to the level of effort put in to your post, so I must commend you on this)

Speaking for your school does not speak for what happens in all schools.

In every school I have been in the SNAs so all their Croke park hours including staying for the month of June where most of the time they have very little to do. It is only making them stay for the sake of it.

There are some generally supervising at break or helping their student. They may rotate this between them so the same person isn't on every day at break. So they take lunch at a different time. Where is your problem?

They don't have to do class prep. That is the teachers job. Why should they help with it. Again the teachers job. If you didn't like it why didn't you become an SNA instead of a teacher when you had the chance. I'm sure there is still time if you want a change.

Here look just give over and go to bed. A terrible attempt at trying to get teachers to slag off SNAs.

The fact you created a profile just to come on t slag off SNAs. Pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

You are entitled to your opinion but this is horrible! In my experience they are not very well paid, some are not on full hours yet they are seen as been "on call" when not necessarily rostered. Their pay is much lower than a teacher's pay. They are expected to attend all school activities that take place outside school hours/rostered hours e.g. mass, graduation etc.They are often called on to supervise and can end up taking dogs abuse. So please, leave them be. They are not involved in this dispute. In fact, your posts says a lot about you.

• Advertisement

Ok, whatever you think. The government - a minister stated a few days ago on the news that all public sector employees did their croke park hours. That is what annoyed me as this isn't the case.

if I cannot state facts without being accused of "turning on colleagues" what is the point.

I have stated my case. It is the governement who annoyed me saying that. Why don't they suspend our 33 hours then?

If I knew about other public sector employees not doign their croke park hours I would state it but I don't know what croke park hours other public sector employees do. Why should one group have to do them and not another group or groups ?

That's all I have to say on it.

No because you have not stated any facts.

1. We all get longer breaks that the working time act. Our jobs are not 9-5 type jobs.

2. They do all their 72 hours (in my experience as you put it)

3. Every SNA I have met has worked the month of June.

Where were your facts?

....i see also that you have made 3 posts in total....all related to SNAs. I am not sure what your agenda is.....are you a reporter by any chance who has been told to investigate SNAs?

I bow out.

Connor2016 wrote: »
    I bow out.

No more 'facts' for us tonight no?

• Advertisement

Good - and if you are a teacher you would want to show a little more respect for your colleagues. The way you speak about SNAs is the way a lot of other professions look at you [if you are actually a teacher that is]. I hope you put as much effort into respecting them and their work as you did into trying to dig up crap about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I never find a post credible when somebody registers to comment!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 puca13

Actually a friend of mine, an Sna, was complaining about her wage. She said she was only earning 500 euro a week, that is not too far away from a teacher's wage.

Sorry to hijack your post puca13

Thread closed. I hope we've learned something we didn't know before anyway!!
    Mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement