Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to learn how to fly fish! Please any tips advice welcome!

Options
  • 08-11-2016 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Ok so my granduncle used to fly fish and he left his fly rod so I'm willing to try to learn! I know there's alot to learn but would just like to know the basics as I know nothing you could say! Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Ok so my granduncle used to fly fish and he left his fly rod so I'm willing to try to learn! I know there's alot to learn but would just like to know the basics as I know nothing you could say! Thanks in advance!

First of all I'd get a lesson in fly casting where are roughly based so we know if there's any suitiable casting instructors there around 50 euro an hour less if your young. It's the most important thing in fly fishing to be honest.. have you any flies ?
    Trout season is over until next march so it's stocked lakes for now, which are great for newbies more than likely going to get a fish or two..
    I most say defo try and get an instructor...

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

I'm sure there will be plenty of videos on YouTube to describe the basics but there really is nothing like getting lessons, be they from a professional or a local fly fisherman. Do you have any friends or family members who fly fish? You could contact a local fishing club for advice. Even just one outing with somebody showing you the ropes would teach you an awful lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Crow Pigeon and Pheasant

Thanks I know about trout season being over as I do other types of fishing just not fly fishing! I'm near kilcullen!

Yes I also have a few flys not many but a few!

Reedsie wrote:
    I'm sure there will be plenty of videos on YouTube to describe the basics but there really is nothing like getting lessons, be they from a professional or a local fly fisherman. Do you have any friends or family members who fly fish? You could contact a local fishing club for advice. Even just one outing with somebody showing you the ropes would teach you an awful lot.

Yes actually a good friend of my dad's does quite a bit of fly fishing! Hopefully he'll show me a bit! Yes must look at some videos on YouTube!

http://apgai-ireland.ie/docs/single-double-handed-instruction/
    There's a list of APGAI instructors, That's good that your Dad has Fly fished before But try and go to a instructor if you can.. Curragh Springs is in Kildare a great fishery..
    Also youtube is good but Still doesn't show you as much as a instructor does, I remember trying to single spey are looking on youtube didnt go well :) Had to get an Instructor, well worth the money.

Flies wise for ( Stocked lakes Rainbow Trout and Brownies ) anything colorful They'd take anything Most of the time the stocked lakes have a shop which sells flies there..

Good luck.

• Advertisement

There's a list of APGAI instructors, That's good that your Dad has Fly fished before But try and go to a instructor if you can.. Curragh Springs is in Kildare a great fishery.. Also youtube is good but Still doesn't show you as much as a instructor does, I remember trying to single spey are looking on youtube didnt go well Had to get an Instructor, well worth the money.

Flies wise for ( Stocked lakes Rainbow Trout and Brownies ) anything colorful They'd take anything Most of the time the stocked lakes have a shop which sells flies there..

Good luck.

Thanks for that! I appreciate that help!

Thanks for that! I appreciate that help!

No problem,

If you need any help just post it to the thread I'm sure we'd be able to help ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

http://apgai-ireland.ie/docs/single-double-handed-instruction/
    There's a list of APGAI instructors, That's good that your Dad has Fly fished before But try and go to a instructor if you can.. Curragh Springs is in Kildare a great fishery..
    Also youtube is good but Still doesn't show you as much as a instructor does, I remember trying to single spey are looking on youtube didnt go well :) Had to get an Instructor, well worth the money.

Good luck.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I believe Curragh springs is no longer open to the public..

viper123 wrote:
    Correct me if I'm wrong here but I believe Curragh springs is no longer open to the public..

Can't say as I've never heard of it!

viper123 wrote: »

Ya? jesus I only fished that last year, Pity if true is was a great fishery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Ya? jesus I only fished that last year, Pity if true is was a great fishery.

Maybe I'm incorrect here, their facebook page seems up to date and has videos from October ?!

Maybe I'm incorrect here, their facebook page seems up to date and has videos from October ?!

Just had a look doesn't seem like it's shutdown to me anyway must get up there some time great fighting rainbows too! Might be to the public closed not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭shortcircuitie

I only took up fly fishing this year so I'm only a beginner like yourself.

This video was a great help in learning to spool on fly line onto a reel, and more importantly learning how to fly cast. between that video and a few evenings on the green in my estate I had learned enough to get going

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl0yc7LwWrk

This video was a great help in learning to spool on fly line onto a reel, and more importantly learning how to fly cast. between that video and a few evenings on the green in my estate I had learned enough to get going

I only took up fly fishing this year so I'm only a beginner like yourself.

Thanks great to hear from someone who's just starting aswell! Thanks I must look at that video!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭MWforumfisher

I'm a newbie here as well like short circuit, I'd reccomend over the winter you practise casting in your garden as said above and go to a fishery, Courtlough and Annamoe would be my favourite. It really is worth the few bob investing in lessons, if you pick up a bad habit while self teaching its hard to get rid of it. Don't be afraid to pm me if you need any help finding people nearby that do lessons, or have any questions. Good luck and tight lines.

I'm a newbie here as well like short circuit, I'd reccomend over the winter you practise casting in your garden as said above and go to a fishery, Courtlough and Annamoe would be my favourite. It really is worth the few bob investing in lessons, if you pick up a bad habit while self teaching its hard to get rid of it. Don't be afraid to pm me if you need any help finding people nearby that do lessons, or have any questions. Good luck and tight lines.

Thanks yeah I must try it on the grass and go to one of the hunting shops and make sure I have the right line and so on!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

A friend fished there on Sat 5th Nov so I believe you're wrong. Was out there in October myself - good, fun fishery and the owner seems very knowledgeable.

Evac101 wrote:
    A friend fished there on Sat 5th Nov so I believe you're wrong. Was out there in October myself - good, fun fishery and the owner seems very knowledgeable.

Thanks yeah I think my dad actually knows the owner of it I might go there sometime!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 conormaher101

So you want to learn how to fly fish, The best place for that would be courtlough in ballbriggan Dublin, it is near the airport
    it is €50. euro for the lesson and also fishing is free for the rest of the day!

Hope i helped! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

My advice would be look up casting videos on YouTube and practice casting out in your garden or somewhere. Make sure you get a decent line. Cheap ones are usually dirt.A Floating line is the best for beginners .
    Once you can cast out 20 or 30 yards of line reasonably straight head to the stocked lake and have some fun ; )

• Advertisement

My advice would be look up casting videos on YouTube and practice casting out in your garden or somewhere. Make sure you get a decent line. Cheap ones are usually dirt.A Floating line is the best for beginners . Once you can cast out 20 or 30 yards of line reasonably straight head to the stocked lake and have some fun ; )

Thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

We were out in Curragh Springs over the weekend. 4 decent fish - two for a friend on home tied flies which brought him much joy, one on a minnow (low and slow) and one on a dry daddy for me, the daddy taking the fish after dusk (i.e. 20 past 5). Still recommend this as a good spot to visit, despite my personal preference for rivers.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RNb48t96J2aRsReMGSHlRm6-4TAGNNsYlw/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OfdEYPCXi4mVUQUPU1ccnG-4dJ6ToQc-Xg/view?usp=sharing

Evac101 wrote:
    We were out in Curragh Springs over the weekend. 4 decent fish - two for a friend on home tied flies which brought him much joy, one on a minnow (low and slow) and one on a dry daddy for me, the daddy taking the fish after dusk (i.e. 20 past 5). Still recommend this as a good spot to visit, despite my personal preference for rivers.

Thanks good to hear!

Fish look good well done!

Fish look good well done!

Advertisement