Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using iPhone 4s in USA

Options
  • 08-11-2016 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Heading to NY shortly for a long weekend and was thinking of bringing my old 4s and buying a SIM in JFK or else ordering one online before I go. I have a 6s but was planning on keeping it for use when I have Wifi. i'm on the 3 network here but they don't seem to have any offers when travelling to the US.

Can an Irish 4s can be used with a US sim or is it a different set up? or if anyone has any other suggestions I'd be grateful for the advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 belgrade

Make sure your 4s is sim unlocked before you go, an AT&T sim is probably your best bet there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

If your phone is unlocked, either 6 or 4s, go into any TMobile store and get a pay as you go SIM. Works flawlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,191 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

T-mobile have a much better PAYG package than AT&T. Plus for the Iphone 4S, their operating frequencies were the same as Ireland.
    Why not put the Irish chip in the 4S and the US chip in the 6... thats what i do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭greyc

Thanks for the replies that's grand. The 4s is unlocked but the 6s isn't so I'll probably just use the 4s. I really only want some data, so I can order Ubers or use what's app etc, don't think I'll be making too many calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,191 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

T-mobile wont let you tether their sim card, but they have the easiest and cheapest walk-in payg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

I am just back from there and second time in 12 months doing so. Unlocked 4s and brought my iPhone 6 with data roaming off.

You wont find anything in JFK. I went to the nearest AT&T store (they are all over the City)

Used my old 4s too. Go to A T & T - Go Phone Sim card is what you want....which they will fit there for you there and then.

3Gb data
    Free calls and texts in USA
    Can text Ireland Free
    Important bit....Also paid $5 extra for a 250 minute add on for International calls to Ireland. I came home with a balance of 200 international minutes left and 1G data after a week.

You can check the balance by logging on to A T and T. I used it loads for Face Time etc over 4G.

I tethered my Iphone 6 a few times through the 4s when I wanted to access some stuff on my own phone.

Including Tax's I paid $59. It was well worth it.

Advertisement