Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video of Swords 1985

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Can you tell us what the vid is about or why it may be of interest to the forum regulars? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Looks like over an hour of old video footage uploaded to YouTube. Production values look like pure 'budget chamber of commerce show them the town' sort of stuff.

But my uncle lived in Swords in the '80s, so I'll probably watch it on the off chance I see him. Ditto my spouse and family are from Swords and will probably take a goo as well.

OP, there's a Facebook page called 'Swords down Memory Lane' that would lap this right up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I think it's interesting in sections. Bernadette Marks really knows her stuff. Weird to see the area around my place which is very different from 1985.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

I'd agree interesting in parts. That was not long after the old Swords bypass was built. Prior to that, the main Belfast road went up the Main Street (hard to imagine now), and which is why the traffic looks nice and light in the video. Interesting also how the lady talked disapprovingly of the buildings blocking the view of the castle. 30 years later, they are finally removed.

Also, the old Superquinn was just being built. Who remembers that, and the queues at Christmas time ?? Can't say I miss much about the Swords of 1985.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

plodder wrote: »
    I'd agree interesting in parts. That was not long after the old Swords bypass was built. Prior to that, the main Belfast road went up the Main Street (hard to imagine now), and which is why the traffic looks nice and light in the video. Interesting also how the lady talked disapprovingly of the buildings blocking the view of the castle. 30 years later, they are finally removed.

Also, the old Superquinn was just being built. Who remembers that, and the queues at Christmas time ?? Can't say I miss much about the Swords of 1985.

Oh the excitement when they built that Superquinn!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

Oh the excitement when they built that Superquinn!
    Yeah, in fairness it was a great shop. But, the car park ... That chap who looked after it, I think until the day they closed, had some job on his hands.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Can you tell us what the vid is about or why it may be of interest to the forum regulars? Thanks.

Sorry , I should have explained abit more about its contents . I see others have done so .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

plodder wrote: »
    ... That chap who looked after it, I think until the day they closed, had some job on his hands.
    He also irked a lot of motorists by inappropriately stopping traffic on the main street to allow customers to exit from Superquinn. The idea that only a very limited number of people are permitted to stop traffic on a public road seemed to be lost on him.

Advertisement