Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M U D Act when estate taken over by Council

Options
  • 08-11-2016 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Our estate of 20 conventional houses ( no apartments) has shared septic system, lighting, roads and common grass areas. We have an active OMC operating under the M U D Act.
    Recently the County Council have agreed to adopt the estate and connect us to the main sewerage system, look after our lighting and roads.

It would appear that we only have grass cutting to worry about but where does that leave us in satisfying the requirements of the Act?

Do we have other legal liabilities? Can we dismantle the OMC?

Oviously we will be taking legal advice but I would welcome any thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You definitely need proper legal advice on this issue.

Just because the council have taken in charge a lot of things wouldn't automatically mean you can just dismantle your management company, in my opinion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Plus keep in mind- in all probability all of the property is physically vested in the OMC- if you dissolve the OMC- ownership of the assets reverts to the Minister for Finance- not the shareholders of the OMC..........

You need to get good legal advice on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 98Pat

I suspected this. Some members were suggesting we could forget about the OMC and say goodbye to our fees. Life is not that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

98Pat wrote: »
    I suspected this. Some members were suggesting we could forget about the OMC and say goodbye to our fees. Life is not that simple.

Definitely not that simple. You have a legal contract to pay fees to the management company. While you may be houses, there may be complications in trying to sell your property if the management company isn't properly running.

A very complex situation that only a professional legal adviser can clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The OMCs expenditure and need for a sinking fund will massively reduce, so fees can be reduced in line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Plus keep in mind- in all probability all of the property is physically vested in the OMC- if you dissolve the OMC- ownership of the assets reverts to the Minister for Finance- not the shareholders of the OMC..........

You need to get good legal advice on this.

Is the CC taking ownership of the common owned areas?
    ^ I can see someone buying the assets off the minister and building on the green In a couple of years :eek:

Advertisement