Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vw mechanic

• 08-11-2016 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi guys, looking for a good independent mechanic in Limerick area that knows what he's doing with V.W. Car has a rough idle and struggles to start. Had it with two mechanics and they couldn't pin point the problem and were really only guessing.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

VW rough idle is almost certainly a dirty throttle body. Get some carb cleaner and spray into throttle body and also clean the intake valve. Google it. Common problem. I had to clean my passat throttle body every few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Soaps suggestion is a best case scenario. Hopefully that's all it is - depends on the car.
    If it's a Polo with a 3 cylinder engine...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I just brought my VW golf to PJs Garage on the Ennis Road, a couple of people had recommended him to me. It was just an annual service, no particular problems, and he did a very quick and thorough job. Cheaper than any mechanic I had previously used in Dublin too. Could be worth calling him for a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭mark1974

Thanks, it is a passat. I'll give the throttle body a clean and see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Great mechanic I use all the time and honest.

Crossroad Motors
    Address: Toureen Ballysimon Co Limerick
    City of Limerick
    Phone: (061)330034

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭dennyk

Try removing and cleaning the MAF and MAP sensors as well. You can just give them a good shake in a bag full of rubbing alcohol and wipe them down gently with a lint-free cloth, then let 'em dry for a while. Cleaning my Golf's dirty MAP sensor cured the rough cold idle issue and took care of the "fuel bank lean" code it was throwing.

With an issue like a rough idle, any mechanic is going to be making guesses, as there are so many potential causes. If it's throwing a code, that might help narrow it down, but not always. A good mechanic will at least make educated guesses, and should start from the easiest/cheapest fix and work their way up, rather than diving into some complex repair without having eliminated the easy potential causes first just to milk more money out of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Anyone recommend any good independent VW mechanics in Limerick?

Need a service and timing belt done on a 2011 golf...

Thanks

Advertisement