Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zwift on a budget

Options
  • 08-11-2016 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Probably asked loads of times before but trying to set up zwift wondering what do I need. What I have is :

Elite Volare Mag Trainer (not smart trainer)
    Good laptop
    Garmin edge 200 or forerunner 220 (neither much use for zwift from what I've read but don't really want to buy any more garmins)

Wondering do I just need a speed and cadence sensor to use it? I know ideally smart trainer is d way to go but can't afford dat at the moment so looking for cheapest option to get started

Not very computer / tech literate so if you can keep replies as simple as possible for me to follow be great thanks ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Moved from Cycling Training Logs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

If you want to use zwift as intended with automatic control etc. pick up this and you won't need a garmin although the heart rate monitor is handy if you train to heart rate.

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/turbo-trainers/trainers/tacx-flow-t2240-smart-turbo-trainer

You'll need one of these also

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anself-Compatible-Garmin-Forerunner-011-02209-00/dp/B00LIIMHP4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1478684136&sr=8-2&keywords=ant%2B+dongle

and pick up one of these if laptop is a ways away from trainer

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-Male-Female-Extension-Cable/dp/B00NH136GE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1478684212&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+extension+cable

Budget option

Speed cadence/sensor and the ant+ dongle above. To be honest though without the automated set up you may aswell just stick on youtube and belt away. No point paying the monthly subs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    If you want to use zwift as intended with automatic control etc. pick up this and you won't need a garmin although the heart rate monitor is handy if you train to heart rate.

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/turbo-trainers/trainers/tacx-flow-t2240-smart-turbo-trainer

Wow that's not a bad deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Wow that's not a bad deal!

It's not to bad if you apply the axa discount which afaik are allowing 15% sometime this month.

It can be bought cheaper again out of season but unfortunately it's peak season for turbos now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

To be honest though without the automated set up you may aswell just stick on youtube and belt away. No point paying the monthly subs.
    I use Trainerroad with a non smart trainer and it works fine, so if Zwift really needs the smart turbo, that could be another option.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

It's not to bad if you apply the axa discount which afaik are allowing 15% sometime this month.

It can be bought cheaper again out of season but unfortunately it's peak season for turbos now.

I'm trying to dig out an axa discount. Any one know you need to buy the policy direct? My sister has an axa policy through the AA.

godtabh wrote: »
    I'm trying to dig out an axa discount. Any one know you need to buy the policy direct? My sister has an axa policy through the AA.
    If it's an axa tax disc, she should be eligible (I got one just sent to me on a policy got via a broker). The tax disc should work as well - you shouldn't need the card if you have the disc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

So I can bring the disc with me and thats that? Sound!

godtabh wrote: »
    So I can bring the disc with me and thats that? Sound!
    I don't work for Halfords, and different stores (even different staff within stores) can apparently be funny about the AXA discount, but I have used an axa insurance disc several times! So I would try it anyway, rather than wait to find or replace the actual card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

One minor thing is that your laptop will have to be a 64 bit machine, zwift no longer supports 32 bit windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭mikesavo2003

Cheers guys have speed and cadence sensor ordered will try out to free trial and see from there. Will try trainer road 2 thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭mackeminexile

I recently set up with the Tacx Blue Matic deal from Halfords inc. the ant+ sensors. I connected them through an ant+ dongle that came with my Forerunner 910xt and it all syncs up. No power meter so using the estimated power curve in the game. So far I've been using it for 2 weeks and love it. Let me put that in context; I've bought and sold 1 turbo due to my hatred. Then bought rollers with the misguided idea that they'd be more fun/less tedious. They sat unused in the spare room, I'd rather cycle in the rain. Then Zwift and the new (cheapo) set-up. I'm following a programme after doing the FTP test and I'm aware there may be inaccuracies in the power calculation but it's a good indicator of RPE at the very least. Actually able to look forward to 1 1/2 hour sessions indoors now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

I'm setting myself up with a smart turbo trainer for next winter. If we are now in the low season for trainers there should be good deals going. Anybody know of a deal on a Tacx Flux or other direct drive trainer? Any news on new models for winter 2017 - 2018.

Advertisement