Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest method to exchange US cheque to € in Ireland

• 08-11-2016 10:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I have cash from selling shares in my shares account.
    It's not a personal bank account in my name (normal for shares accounts) and so I cannot use CurrencyFair or TransferWise, etc and then exchange and transfer cheaply to Ireland.

Does anyone have any ideas how I could transfer the cash from US to Ireland and exchange to euro while paying the least commission rate and best exchange rate?
    The options I have at the shares company to disburse cash are;
    1 - Wire transfer
    2- Cheque in Dollars

Thanks in advance
    James

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Wire transfer will be cheapest by a mile.

Foreign cheque takes 4 weeks to clear, has a processing charge and will have a poor exchange rate.

If its a substantial amount try contacting the banks trading room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭endeval

Thanks Walter,

If I am transferring this from my shares account to say, Bank of Ireland, can I barter the exchange rate and commission with BOI?

(I am trying to understand what to expect in terms of charges and exchange rate yielded by Wire transfer with BOI)
    Thanks,
    James

endeval wrote: »
    Thanks Walter,

If I am transferring this from my shares account to say, Bank of Ireland, can I barter the exchange rate and commission with BOI?

(I am trying to understand what to expect in terms of charges and exchange rate yielded by Wire transfer with BOI)
    Thanks,
    James
    You'd have to ask - if its over $30,000 I'm sure you could.

Thanks Walter

So, indeed, I contacted BOI, Global Markets in Dublin, Personal Banking division and got a discount on a standard rate with a rate guarentee.
    not bad, thanks for the tip off.
    James

• Advertisement

endeval wrote: »
    So, indeed, I contacted BOI, Global Markets in Dublin, Personal Banking division and got a discount on a standard rate with a rate guarentee.
    not bad, thanks for the tip off.
    James

Where do I send the fee note? :)

Advertisement