Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question re: free insurance deals

Options
  • 08-11-2016 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,646 ✭✭✭✭

I see that some manufacturers are now offering free insurance deals, probably hoping to attract customers who have had shocking insurance premium increases (most of us?).

However, I have a question about these deals. They used to be offered a lot in NI many years ago, but I remember being told by a friend once who availed of it, that it caused a break in his insurance cover, as he didn't take the policy out himself.

So when he went back to getting insurance quotes once the deal was over, the insurers were saying he had gaps in his history.

Would this also apply now in these cases?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭patrickc

http://www.nissan.ie/offers/new-vehicles/2017-free-insurance

seems the contract is with Chill insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 82,791 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd say the way it works is it would not count as part of your no claims but providing it wasn't for 2 years of a gap you would return to where you were pre manufacturer offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

I'd say the way it works is it would not count as part of your no claims but providing it wasn't for 2 years of a gap you would return to where you were pre manufacturer offer.

The problem with the nissan deal is its 2 years free insurance so there will be 2 years of a gap

A few issues

'Customers must have 3 + years no claims bonus in your own name.
    Customers must have no accidents, claims or convictions'.
    Are they using my NCB?, it sure sounds like they are.
    I was rearended and car written off, does that count.
    I claimed for a windscreen , does that count

'This cover is restricted to the insured only.'
    I cant insure my girlfreind on it or son/daughter

'Free insurance is only available in the event that Chill can arrange cover with an insurer. '
    I could see chill having a lot of issues with getting cover and you are left with a new car you didnt really want and no free insurance

'Each policy will run for a period of 1 year with renewal being offered for Year 2 subject to there being no change to the policy details and no accidents, claims or convictions in the 1st year'.
    You would wonder what their excess is going to be set as . Id say fairly high say 750 possibly higher. So i have a tip in my span new 171 nissan and claim off my comprehensive insurance. Damage is 2 grand, Pay 750 excess myself, insurance pay 1250. Then then wont renew my free second year so i lose another say 750 indirectly that way and have to renew insurance in my name with a claim to throw into the mix. so its probably better for me to pay the first 2 or 3 grand myself. if you ad everything up.
    Similar way if car gets written off,

'Qualifying Cars must be ordered before 31st December.
    Qualifying cars must be registered before 31st January.'
    So more than likely what they have in stock.
    If i want a different colour or extra options im hoping there wont be a delay from the factory.

Personally id be inclined to try to get the price down on the price of the new car.
    Get them to get a quote off chill , mulltiply that by 2 and knock it off the price . If chill get a good price , get the insurance through them.

Advertisement