Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from the Teaching & Lecturing forum.

Options
  • 08-11-2016 11:06pm

I have just been banned from the Teaching & Lecturing forum.

I was in discussion on the site and I a post was made that responded to.

This post was made

Originally Posted by doc_17 V
    Ah god bless anyone who wastes their time trying to engage the people that are dropping in tonight! Don't waste your time folks, you'll never win over stupid people in a discussion. They'll take you down to the stupid level and beat you with experience.

I responded with

You must be a hoot at Teacher/Parents evening.

We are the public, the ones that actually pay your salaries, it would be nice to engage in civil conversation without you calling people stupid..

All factually true and also requesting we debate in a civil manner and not to call people stupid.

The Moderator TheDriver like the post made by doc_17 and then edited my post and infracted me.

I followed up and asked

Im sorry, you edit a post and provide me with an infraction where I ask someone to stop calling members of the public stupid and ask for civil discussion?

What is that about?

And I then get banned!

The only post I made after the infraction was the post asking why I was infracted, so asking a moderator a question can result in a ban?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

As per the dispute resolution process - the first step is to discuss your ban with the mod to see if you can resolve the matter yourselves.

If you cannot resolve it, then come back here & an Edu CMod will look into it for you.

tHB

As per the dispute resolution process - the first step is to discuss your ban with the mod to see if you can resolve the matter yourselves.

If you cannot resolve it, then come back here & an Edu CMod will look into it for you.

tHB

The Mod told me to come here, he also told me to go to Politics.ie in another post to engage in discussion.

I tried discussing it but he refereed me to here.

Again, read the forum charter. If you wish to take it further, you can go to the appropriate forum in talk to....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Thanks for confirming. I give the CMods a heads-up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Please forward relevant PMs to me.
    Thanks.

spurious wrote: »
    Please forward relevant PMs to me.
    Thanks.

PMs sent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Received, thanks.

Given that the ban is up now, I'm not sure if you want to pursue this, but from looking at the posting history, this was not the first inflammatory post. I'd say it was a straw that broke the camel's back situation for the mod involved. The thread and the others before and since that have had to have been closed due to off-topic posts and baiting were to discuss the industrial action but were all being dragged off topic by non-regular posters. The number of reported posts has rocketed due to those threads.

Comments such as those below could all also have resulted in warnings/infractions.

"if I get onto my TD it will be to tell them to sack the lot of the striking ones and go replace them with low paid teachers from Eastern Europe "

"Amazing how none of the existing teachers cared about that when they voted for it in the first place. Where was the equality of pay then?

The country is still broke and yet Teachers seem to think its back to pre 2008. "

"So you want to be paid for doing no work?

It must be a great life. "

Given what was going on the forum at the time, I see nothing wrong with the mod's actions, though of course we can get an Admin to review if you like.

Received, thanks.

Given that the ban is up now, I'm not sure if you want to pursue this, but from looking at the posting history, this was not the first inflammatory post. I'd say it was a straw that broke the camel's back situation for the mod involved. The thread and the others before and since that have had to have been closed due to off-topic posts and baiting were to discuss the industrial action but were all being dragged off topic by non-regular posters. The number of reported posts has rocketed due to those threads.

Comments such as those below could all also have resulted in warnings/infractions.

"if I get onto my TD it will be to tell them to sack the lot of the striking ones and go replace them with low paid teachers from Eastern Europe "

"Amazing how none of the existing teachers cared about that when they voted for it in the first place. Where was the equality of pay then?

The country is still broke and yet Teachers seem to think its back to pre 2008. "

"So you want to be paid for doing no work?

It must be a great life. "

Given what was going on the forum at the time, I see nothing wrong with the mod's actions, though of course we can get an Admin to review if you like.

Firstly the infraction is a seperate issue, what rule was broken for the infraction? I responded to a question put to me. The reply was honest and I even questioned with the mod in question as to what was wrong with considering the idea that foriegn teachers could be used to come to Ireland to work here. It happens in all industries including Health.

But the ban is a seperate issue, I was banned for asking a moderator a question, its clearly there.

My first post clearly asked another poster to stop calling posters stupid and to discuss the mater in a civil manner, ironically the mod in question liked the post that called members of the public stupid. My post gets edited with a warning.

I repply to the warning and ask what was wrong with what I posted, I was then banned for asking that very question.

Are you seriously saying the moderator was correct for banning me for asking why I received a warning?

Are you seriously saying the moderator was correct for banning me for asking why I received a warning?

No. You are of course entitled to ask why you received a warning. I think what happened has to be taken in the context of what was happening in the forum at the time and also your previous posts.

The one day ban is a very clumsy sledgehammer-nut tool, I appreciate that, but sometimes it and closing a thread temporarily is the only way to let tempers cool.

What would be an acceptable solution to this for you? I think it is helpful to have non-teaching voices in the forum and would not like to lose the input of parents.

No. You are of course entitled to ask why you received a warning. I think what happened has to be taken in the context of what was happening in the forum at the time and also your previous posts.

The one day ban is a very clumsy sledgehammer-nut tool, I appreciate that, but sometimes it and closing a thread temporarily is the only way to let tempers cool.

What would be an acceptable solution to this for you? I think it is helpful to have non-teaching voices in the forum and would not like to lose the input of parents.

I believe you are misunderstanding the point.

To put it down to simple terms.

1) I was infracted, regardless of the reasons we will accept that and move on.

2) The same mod then edited another post I made and warned the forum in general to not flame etc.

3) The same mod liked a post I replied to that he then edited which called members of the public stupid, this itself is a breach of the forum rules, (Calling other posters stupid). So its ok for a moderator to like posts that breach forum rules?

4) I inquired as to why my post was edited.

5) I was then subsequently banned.

That is the crux of the matter, I was banned for asking a fair question to a moderator.

Its all very clear in the timeline of events and PMS I sent you.

Infact I still haven't been given any official reason as to why I was banned, this for me is clearly an abuse of moderation powers as there is nothing between the editing of my post and general warning being given to the forum and my response as to why my post was edited.

You yourself even entered the thread and told other posters (Lets assume you directly meant Teachers) and told them not to respond to trolls. Who did you consider the trolls to be, anyone other than teachers?

If you want a self contained forum that is not open to the public then fine, as it is this was a public forum where I voiced my opinion (in accordance to the rules and charter) , I responded to any questions I was asked and yet I received an infraction, edited posts and a ban for asking a moderator why my post was edited.

Not once was any particular rule breach mentioned to me other than generally asking me to review them. If it cant be pointed what rule has been broken then it would appear no rule was broke.

If you cant see any issues with banning a poster for asking a moderator a question then we are at a loss.

You ask,

What would be an acceptable solution to this for you?

My reply is for you to accept it was wrong to ban me for asking a moderator a question, and for that mod to accept it was wrong too.

I absolutely accept it would be wrong to ban someone for just asking a question, but as I said previously, I don't think the ban was for just asking a question. I will discuss this further with the mod.

• Advertisement

Wow, just wow.

Thanks for the prompt response.:rolleyes:

Typical and no wonder Boards.ie are loosing posters and users if this is how you reply to users complaints.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I was not finished discussing this with the mod, but if you want me to send it to the admins before I have finished, I will. Is that what you want?

The vast majority of users do not end up in DRP so not sure what your snipe about boards losing members has to do with anything.

I was not finished discussing this with the mod, but if you want me to send it to the admins before I have finished, I will. Is that what you want?

The vast majority of users do not end up in DRP so not sure what your snipe about boards losing members has to do with anything.

Over 16 days since I made the complaint and you are still talking to the Mod? I can understand taking a day or two, but 16 days is simply taking the P.

The snipe was pointing out the lack of care, interest or standards directed at members, taking more than 16 days to talk to a moderator in relation to an overzealous banning because I asked why I was infracted highlights this and the attention you put to addressing members complaints.

Do let me know when you have finished discussing this with the moderator, just to let you know I will be away for the Christmas if by chance you have gotten back to me by then.

Admin review requested.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Ban upheld.

OP, I understand you felt strongly on this matter, that's evident from your posts on the thread including that which was replaced by the mod with the warning to cop on. Continuing to argue on thread, challenging the mod direction was only ever going to end in further mod action. On a less hostile and angry thread it would probably have been fine, but on that thread with the volume of reported posts the mod team had little option here.

Hopefully lessons have been learnt here. Keep it civil, follow the mod direction (and especially the rules of the forum) and if you want to challenge a mod direction on a hot thread take it to PM. Ideally on more relaxed threads mods welcome discussion and can move such queries off line, but in this case with the series of on thread warnings and actions taken I see no reason to overturn the mod action.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement