Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wireless trv

• 08-11-2016 11:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

Looking just to control 3 rads in kitchen. Ideally 3 wifi or Bluetooth trvs controlled with a room stat.
    Just want to be able to turn on/off rads as I want ..particularly when I light stove to stop kitchen getting too hot. Thks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Myson and Honeywell have them

I've lightwaverf TRVs they work but are a little bit big, and loud not as bad after updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

You can control them lightwave from an app? Can you turn them off fully ...and on fully with the app? Are they reliable ..thks

You can control them lightwave from an app? Can you turn them off fully ...and on fully with the app? Are they reliable ..thks

Yes well you dial them down for off and up for on. Each one has a timer too

Hi stoner
    I read really really bad reviews on these but they are exactly what I need however. They are for the kitchen I don't mind them being noisy. I see the reviews are the worst altogether than the Android lightwave app. If they work perfectly for you I would probably buy three based on your experience.. Thks paddy.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Another option that is coming soon are Smart TRV valves from Netatmo:

https://www.netatmo.com/product/energy/thermostat/additional

Now they aren't launched yet and they are likely to be more expensive then Stoners lrf ones, but the Netatmo Thermostat is superb, so I'm hoping that their new TRV valves maybe just as good.

• Advertisement

Very interesting had a look using phone ...hard to see ..but it looks like they are controlled trvs with room stat...that's what I'm after ..will ring energia tomorrow
    Thanks
    Paddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A TRV should turn itself off the room gets to a certain temperature. Do you have TRV already fitted ?

Hi stoner I read really really bad reviews on these but they are exactly what I need however. They are for the kitchen I don't mind them being noisy. I see the reviews are the worst altogether than the Android lightwave app. If they work perfectly for you I would probably buy three based on your experience.. Thks paddy.

No don't get them based on me they are a bit of work . First if all you need them to fix the valve perfectly. In my case that involved changing some of the valves. I use rechargeable batteries.

That said it works well in my kitchen. One of the most confusing things is all the timers. Every stat has a timer. They've been promising zones or groups for ages and told me it's coming soon too

It would be much easier to have them in groups four downstairs and four upstairs and have a schedule for each group. But in the current set up you'd need to do one per TRV

On top of that each timer has schedule per day. they've made it easier by giving a week day and weekend option and adding copy and paste across each.

Back in the day every TRV could call in the boiler. Firmware upgrade limited it to only the thermostat doing it. That was great

Sometimes people fit them and the stroke of the actuator in the TRV is not long enough to push the valve pin down all the way so it can't get the best low enough

They provide all sorts of stilts and collars but forget about them they are plastic. You need the right valve to begin with myson valves fit mine perfectly. They only work for me when the TRV it screwed directly to the steel of the valve

It's like a lot of these things in life if you stick at it you'll get it. But I wouldn't be recommending it to everyone.

The single most annoying thing about this system is that the app does not replicate the two buttons on the boiler switch.

So you've no boost button or no on off button . Just 1 million calendars a set back temp and a desired temperature.

So if it's cold you dial it up to a level that desired is warmer than current temp

To turn it off you need to dial it back. In the house I use the boost button a lot it's great . When you adjust the dial in the app it can take a minute to update everything making you think it didn't register and you end up in poxy loop , but you also have to remember to go back and dial it down again or it will stay at that temp until it hits it's next timer event.

I'd recommend looking around first.

I've been inspired to see if I can make a timer or event in the app to replicate the boost. It wont be as good but it might be good enough

I'm not changing mine now. But they were 3 for 90 pounds when I hit my first ones. Now they are as expensive as myson and Honeywell, you are in a different position to me for 6 I'd have paid 180 pounds you'd be paying 360 pounds

Ah OK thks. I really only want to turn on and off 3 rads at same time. It's when the stove is on I can turn all off on a command. And back on as I wish. They have ..trv but if I turn then down ..in the morning they will be cold ..if I fail to turn them back on full before I go to bed. This is just the one room

I'll try to make that event and get back to you. They tell me zones are on the next update. But not yet
    Ok no heating controls on yet.
    Option

1) dial up or down each TRV individually

Are the three rads you want to turn off on the one plumbing zone,? If so use brutals trick .

Pop a motorised valve on the zone , and pop a lightwaverf 500W relay on it .

Set the relay to on off control. That would work well.

If like me you have one zone and are trying to create notional zones by controlling individual rads you'll need to adjust all three or wait for the zones update

• Advertisement

Ah OK thks. I really only want to turn on and off 3 rads at same time. It's when the stove is on I can turn all off on a command. And back on as I wish. They have ..trv but if I turn then down ..in the morning they will be cold ..if I fail to turn them back on full before I go to bed. This is just the one room

No they will stay at the dials temp until the next timer settings

So you set each TRV to come on at 5:30 am to 7 am at 22 degrees

If you'd dial them down at 10pm to 17 degrees they will stay at 17degrees but at 5:30 the timers condition kicks in.

Handy thing on the graphic , each TRV displays the next planned temp.

So for example yours would say.

Desired temp 17degrees
    Current temp 18 degrees
    Next temp 22 degrees

If that was your only timer on the TRV at 7:01am the desired temp will change back to 17 degrees from 22 degrees

So the dials desired temp will be used in between the scheduled times.

I just had a idea. You can buy a door contact just a mag contact from lightwaverf. These pair to TRVs I'm not sure if you can pair a contact to more than one TRV. If you can you could pair all three . When you put the contracts together the TRVs will open. When you take them apart all three TRVs will switch off.

Now get the 500 watt lightwaverf relay and wire it across the open close contacts of the door contact, connected as volt free, set the relay up as on off , Name it downstairs Rads.
    I think that would do it. A bit of a workaround.

You could just wait for the zones update.!!

Thks. Unfortunately two rads are plumbed together and could be controlled from the manifold upstairs at tank ( even a manual switch on pipe would do! )..the third is plumbed From the boiler which is in kitchen. I have seen what I want on Google ..ie... 3 wifi trvs that " talk" to a wireless stat ..I am not sure about buying on line unless I was sure they would be reliable...I would place the wireless stat at the kitchen door where a simple turn of the dial would control the rads at the turn of a switch ....thks

Advertisement