Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireball

Options
  • 09-11-2016 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭

Spotted what I think was a 'fireball' just after 10.50pm tonight. Moved in an west-east direction and was to the NE. Initially assumed it was fireworks but no kids about and no noise was heard. The fireball looked like a flare shooting across the sky. Anybody else spot?

New Moon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Spotted what I think was a 'fireball' just after 10.50pm tonight. Moved in an west-east direction and was to the NE. Initially assumed it was fireworks but no kids about and no noise was heard. The fireball looked like a flare shooting across the sky. Anybody else spot?

If Trump was elected it could be an ICBM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Did you see a smoke trail burning up behind it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Did you see a smoke trail burning up behind it?

Yep I did Pedigree6, though I don't recall it being that distinct. I was in the kitchen when I spotted it out of the corner of my eye while passing a window. When I rushed out, it was still there, moving at slower pace than say a shooting star and did seem quite high, despite its size (which as I said, appeared to be of the same proportion as a flare to the naked eye. It did disappear very shortly afterwards, though not sure if it 'burned out' or just became hidden behind a cloud.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

Yep I did Pedigree6, though I don't recall it being that distinct. I was in the kitchen when I spotted it out of the corner of my eye while passing a window. When I rushed out, it was still there, moving at slower pace than say a shooting star and did seem quite high, despite its size (which as I said, appeared to be of the same proportion as a flare to the naked eye. It did disappear very shortly afterwards, though not sure if it 'burned out' or just became hidden behind a cloud.

Maybe it was a Chinese lantern?
    There's always a lot of them around for Halloween and for awhile after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Strange I saw one over Galway bay yesterday around 9pm or so....it was very bright and grew brighter as it entered the atmosphere best one Ive ever seen...

It was so spectacular in fact that the person I was with was about to run away lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I saw one maybe 5 or 6 years ago, it went from west to east and was in the south eastern half of the sky.

Well done on spotting it, it is some sight to see.

I saw one about 15 years ago going from north to south. You could see a trail burning up behind it and even when it burnt out or entered our lower atmosphere, you could still see little bits burning in the trail for about a second after. It only flared up in a small bit of sky so must have been coming in at a fairly steep angle. It's a memory that would stay with you forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

17 years ago?
    You could be talking about this one It was on a Sunday night around 10 o'clock and I was on my way to the pub. It is a memory that will stay with for ever, I doubt if I'll ever see one so bright again.

17 years ago?
    You could be talking about this one It was on a Sunday night around 10 o'clock and I was on my way to the pub. It is a memory that will stay with for ever, I doubt if I'll ever see one so bright again.
    It could have been. I only picked 15 as it was around that time. I didn't write the date down. But it was about that time of the night and it was in November and I'm pretty sure it was a Sunday. I wouldn't be that far really from leighlinbridge just sw across the blackstairs. It was nearly overhead but not quite. It would have been slightly in the leighlinbridge direction. It could well have been the same one, when you account for what height that would have been at.

Ha! That's a good one.
    Even if it's not the same one it was some sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Mystery solved.

401305.PNG

New Moon

• Advertisement
Advertisement