Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied for a job...not sure if it's genuine...anybody got any input?

Options
  • 09-11-2016 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

So I saw a job in the local paper today and I'm not sure what to make of it...

The newspaper is a well respected local paper (not one of the free papers), and the job was listed in the main Appointments section. The job description reads as follows:

"VACANCY IN ALL JOB SECTORS

Part-time & full-time available, Select you hours & days of work.

Earn €420 - €760 P/W

Duties: Research, Data gathering, opinions & insights

Job Specification: Attentive & reliable, Good communication skills, Time management

E-mail Andrew for more info: andrew@deloitteltd.com"

When I went to deloitteltd.com I got a 494 error, with a link which went to Vistaprint

I emailed Andrew more out of curiosity than anything, asking for more information about the position and included a link to my LinkedIn and my mobile number.

Within an hour I got a reply, this time from the email address andygsshpp@gmail.com

The contents of the email were as follows:

"Greetings,

Thanks for your interest in our job offer.

We have chosen you to be one of our freelancer and We are delighted to have you join our great team.

We specialize in running surveys on several companies in order to help them improve and better their services to the public.

This is a Work from home job and Your Responsibilities are: *Research *data gathering * Opinions & Insights

You will be paid €560 per assignment and this is a long time project.

To get started, kindly fill in the below with your details.

First name:
    Last name:
    Full Home Address:
    County:
    City:
    Post code:
    Mobile Phone:

I look forward to working with you.

Kind regards,

Andrew Fitzgibbon"

As you can see, I was offered the job straight away when in my original email I was only asking for more information. I also checked my LinkedIn to see if Andrew had viewed my profile, and I had no new profile views.

Note that the email is also asking me for personal info.

What do you guys make of all this? Genuine or scam? Should I reply? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Run a mile. Next they'll be looking for a bank account to lodge the payment to. Scam, Scam, Scam !!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Scam, 100%.

Play with them if you have time, eggs ask Andrew for a verified copy of his ID.

or just move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Deloitte is not a Ltd company. They are a series of partnerships. That alone is suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Grandslammer

I might play with them alright! I'm also thinking of reporting the ad to the newspaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

One of the common scams in this area is to get sent a cheque to test the Western Union user experience.

You get sent a cheque for say €1200 euro (no idea of actual amount) you deduct your pay and wire the remainder to someone you are given the details of via Western Union.

The scam is the cheque is a fake and by the time you realise it the scammer has disappeared with your money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Play along, give a fake address and when he asks where the cheque is tell him you cashed it and lost it all at the bookies tell him to give you a second chance,he will of course. Then do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Grandslammer

Haha yeah I might do something like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sheehanma

I seen the same add, done exactly as you did got the exact same reply

Advertisement