Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moved posts / Summer Pay Contracts other stuff

Options
  • 08-11-2016 10:11pm

Ok Moved posts from the strike/ ASTI action thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057667793 to here
    MOD

And in the UK, they cannot keep teachers, indeed they come here to recruit them. I'm sure someone has the figures handy, but there it a very high percentage not staying in the job beyond 5 years.

The pay for early childhood educators is criminal, but that does not justify a race to the bottom. Apples and oranges again but I'll bite - those providing the free preschool year teach for one or two 3 hour stints per day with 1 or 2 groups of children of the same age with an adult to child ratio of 1:10 and s/s doesn't come into it.

Should they be paid more? Yes.

Does that mean a teacher supervising 12-18 year olds in a ratio that can be 1:50 should not be paid for it at all? No. (Especially when that teacher did it for free for a few years in the bad times, was promised that they would be paid again this Sept and now find that the Govt has reneged on the deal).

The EECE scheme does only pay for 2-4 hours yes, but its rare that children in creches are in for such short periods. Most creches deduct the ECCE charge from all day child care for these children. Thus creche workers have to provide S&S and work far longer hours for far lower pay and conditions, and still no pension at the end of their careers other than the state.

Its not a race to the bottom, those at the bottom are trying to get up, whilst those already up want to get up more, how about Teachers take no pay increases and the money (Which we dont have) is given to Creche workers to increase their disgraceful salaries?

Comments

km79 wrote: »
    I was at work
    You are referring to the Dole I believe

Nice dig at those less fortunate than you, shame you have no idea what it must be like for those on the dole who lost everything when the country went bust.

These days the dole has been privatised and those claiming have to attend counseling meetings with companies such as Turas Nua who questioning people if they intended to break the law in the next six months.

Dole claimants are being forced to go on ‘CV drops

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Feed not the trolls, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

I've had enough
    I'll leave this thread to the After Hours Brigade to discuss our pay and working conditions
    They know best

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kerryguy78

So you want to be paid for doing no work?

It must be a great life.

They get paid for four months of the year for doing nothing!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

In the long run it will just encourage every other union to join the que
    It's a queue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

kerryguy78 wrote: »

Hi Kerryguy, many teachers, especially NQTs don't get any pay during the summer. If they can't secure some other type of work during the summer they have to try to sign on and collect the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

kerryguy78 wrote: »

6 and a half months. They are including weekends and bank holidays in the calculations aswell now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭doc_17

Ah god bless anyone who wastes their time trying to engage the people that are dropping in tonight! Don't waste your time folks, you'll never win over stupid people in a discussion. They'll take you down to the stupid level and beat you with experience.

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    Hi Kerryguy, many teachers, especially NQTs don't get any pay during the summer. If they can't secure some other type of work during the summer they have to try to sign on and collect the dole.

Out of interest though how does this effect salary?

If a teacher is on a starting salary of 33k do they receive that salary through the year regardless of not being paid in the summer or is the salary deducted and the teacher comes out with less than the 33k?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

If a teacher is on a starting salary of 33k do they receive that salary through the year regardless of not being paid in the summer or is the salary deducted and the teacher comes out with less than the 33k?

Hi irishfreeview, its actually quite rare for an NQT to be on a full hours contract. Most (like myself) start off on half hours so they'd be coming out with c. 12K after tax.
    As far as I know, (I could be wrong) teachers who don't earn money during the summer and midterms etc earn a little more per hour so they should come out with the same amount as someone with the same number of hours but on a fixed term contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

OK I'll bite on this one
    Substitute teachers get paid for their time in front of a class. They DO NOT GET PAID if not in front of a class so all holidays are unpaid. Summer is a long time between paychecks if you find yourself in that unfortunate position. Subs used to have their salary paid at an hourly rate that included their holiday pay (so on first viewing to those not in the field it would seem overly generous). I belive that has been rectified now and salary is divided by 26.5 to get fortnightly rate (and then further divided by 22 and multiplied by whatever number of hours one is lucky to be contracted for)
    So to answer your question yes salary is deducted by those times you are not subbing /teaching so is lower

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

It's very simple - if you are on full hours on a temporary wholetime basis you get paid that 33k over 12 months including holidays.You may also have a regular part time contract which pays pro rata and includes holidays

Most other contracts are part time and include holiday pay as per working time act but payments are not paid during holidays.

So a teacher on half hours paid by the school only receives 16.5k or a lot less if they have less hours!

Non Casual Part Time (eg maternity leave)
    Paid weekly rate based on incremental salary entitlement ÷ 735 x numbers of hours per week.
    There is no additional payment for holiday periods as this figure includes 56% holiday pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,009 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

OK I'll bite on this one
    Substitute teachers get paid for their time in front of a class. They DO NOT GET PAID if not in front of a class so all holidays are unpaid. Summer is a long time between paychecks if you find yourself in that unfortunate position. Subs used to have their salary paid at an hourly rate that included their holiday pay (so on first viewing to those not in the field it would seem overly generous). I belive that has been rectified now and salary is divided by 26.5 to get fortnightly rate (and then further divided by 22 and multiplied by whatever number of hours one is lucky to be contracted for)
    So to answer your question yes salary is deducted by those times you are not subbing /teaching so is lower

Do part-time teachers qualify for holiday pay though. Even ones on only 10 hours per week?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Please don't engage with trolls.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Do part-time teachers qualify for holiday pay though. Even ones on only 10 hours per week?

Hope this doesn't count as feeding the trolls. Taking it on Face value
    They'd get holiday pay "pro rata" so a % of holiday pay.
    Depends on what you mean by part time - if it's not a fixed term contract they'll get some holiday pay over the course of holidays. If it's something like a mat leave contract their pro rata holiday pay won't last long / be worth much.
    I stand to be corrected on all of this of course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Casual Part time contracts are Paid weekly rate based on incremental salary entitlement ÷ 735 x numbers of hours per week.
    There is no additional payment for holiday periods as this figure includes 56% holiday pay.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement