Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hive Active Heating etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Notice Hive have released a couple of gu10 bulbs to the range for those invested in the Eco system. Cheaper alternative to Hue. New hub 360 must be due release soon as the option is now there to add it to the app.

I see in the new hive app update that it is possible to add the hue bulbs to the hive app, have just added ours. They are sure pushing updates and new features regularly, would hope that trv's will be in offing soon, did see somewhere that they are under review.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭mel123

I have the hive bulbs, got them before Christmas when the sale was on, and only got around to putting them up (nightmare shades that have to be screwed off), and find them pretty bad. Ive them in two separate rooms, and they flash when i turn them on, last night it wouldnt go on at all. In one room i had to take it down cause it was buzzing (granted it could be the fitting). Anyone else have problems with them? Like if it was one, i would say its something to do with the fitting, but its both rooms bulbs are flashing when turned on, another rooms was the buzzing sound, bit of a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,396 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Am I right in thinking that if I wanted to control two heating zones plus hot water via Hive I would need:

Active Heating and Hot Water: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B011B3J6B8/ref=abs_brd_tag_dp?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
    and
    Hive 2 - Active Heating Multizone: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018E1SHQU/ref=abs_brd_tag_dp?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Hoping either/both come up as deals on Amazon over the next few days!

BG currently doing an offer of Hive Active installation..

We have three zones - upstairs/downstairs + water.. Would Hive Active as installed by BG be insufficient for three zones?

mel123 wrote: »
    I have the hive bulbs, got them before Christmas when the sale was on, and only got around to putting them up (nightmare shades that have to be screwed off), and find them pretty bad. Ive them in two separate rooms, and they flash when i turn them on, last night it wouldnt go on at all. In one room i had to take it down cause it was buzzing (granted it could be the fitting). Anyone else have problems with them? Like if it was one, i would say its something to do with the fitting, but its both rooms bulbs are flashing when turned on, another rooms was the buzzing sound, bit of a coincidence.

I have half a dozen of the bulbs and no problem with any of them, some e27 and some b22 fitting in dimmable and cool to warm white.

I find there customer support good to deal with so might be worth shooting of an email to them.

• Advertisement

Those looking at Hive, Heatmerchants have a deal on the until the end of the month if you know someone with an account, your plumber etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭8kvscdpglqnyr4

Just wondering if someone can give some instruction on a self-install of a Hive.

I have 3 zones + hot water. There is a thermostat on each of the floors connected to the controller.
    I have Hive purchased for 1 zone and hot water and 2 other Hives for the other 2 zones.

I have one of these installed already and want to replace it:
    https://www.ephcontrols.com/section/4-zone-programmer-2/
    R47-1024x680.jpg

The thermostats looks like this:
    71-0b94qtML._SX522_.jpg

I'm looking to replace it with the Hive system.

I'm fairly comfortable with these sorts of things but I just want to make sure I will get the job done.

Any help greatly apprecited

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hi Divil,

I had the exact same controller on my wall and 2 zones + hot water. I replaced the old system with Hive. I bought it direct from Hive and it came with installation.

Can't help on how to install it, but I can say it worked for me with the exact same equipment as I had.

The only thing I'd check with Hive is if it can handle 4 zones, it might not? Their number is on their website and I find them good on the phone.

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭8kvscdpglqnyr4

Thanks Al. I've confirmed the Hive does support 4 zones.

Can anyone else comment on installation? I'm thinking about doing it myself. Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Got the Hive Active Heating and Hot Water Thermostat installed recently and the system works fine locally but I cannot get the app to discover the thermostat.

The app has picked up the Hub OK and the Hub's LED is showing that it is connected to the thermostat (solid green LED), but the app can't seem to see the thermostat.

Has anyone had this issue before? I have strong wifi coverage in the areas where all three components are placed.

• Advertisement

Got the Hive Active Heating and Hot Water Thermostat installed recently and the system works fine locally but I cannot get the app to discover the thermostat.

The app has picked up the Hub OK and the Hub's LED is showing that it is connected to the thermostat (solid green LED), but the app can't seem to see the thermostat.

Has anyone had this issue before? I have strong wifi coverage in the areas where all three components are placed.

Does the thermostat show as connected? The green led on the hub means that it is connected to the internet ok.

Is the green light showing on the receiver also?

Have you installed the device on the app?

The connection from the hub to receiver to thermostat works by zigbee so the wifi coverage will not matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Just wondering if someone can give some instruction on a self-install of a Hive.

I have 3 zones + hot water. There is a thermostat on each of the floors connected to the controller.
    I have Hive purchased for 1 zone and hot water and 2 other Hives for the other 2 zones.

I have one of these installed already and want to replace it:
    https://www.ephcontrols.com/section/4-zone-programmer-2/
    R47-1024x680.jpg

The thermostats looks like this:
    71-0b94qtML._SX522_.jpg

I'm looking to replace it with the Hive system.

I'm fairly comfortable with these sorts of things but I just want to make sure I will get the job done.

Any help greatly apprecited

Have the exact same programmer and use two nests to give me 3 zones (same idea as the hives)

You don't need to get rid of programmer only put all to on. I kept it so if the nests decide to become an issue in the future i can kill them off, small bit of rewiring a junction box and i'm back in business with a simple timer programmer - it just allows for more options

Choice to keep or get rid of the programmer (personally I'd keep it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

THE ALM wrote: »
    Does the thermostat show as connected? The green led on the hub means that it is connected to the internet ok.

Is the green light showing on the receiver also?

Have you installed the device on the app?

The connection from the hub to receiver to thermostat works by zigbee so the wifi coverage will not matter.

Managed to get it working finally!

Everything was showing as connected but I put the receiver into pairing mode again, factory reset the thermostat and reconnected the hub.

App found the thermostat straight away then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Just tested mine with Google Home, very handy, can say "Hey Google, set the downstairs to 21 degrees" or "turn off the downstairs" etc and it all works well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,396 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Just tested mine with Google Home, very handy, can say "Hey Google, set the downstairs to 21 degrees" or "turn off the downstairs" etc and it all works well ;)

Nice

That's good to know.

Haven't nailed my colors to the mast yet as to whether to go with Google or Amazon.

Just noticed a new setting under thermostat settings for 'Ready By' which seems to work by having the temperature at the desired level when the time is set rather than just come on at the set time, a bit like the learning feature on Nest.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

Hi,

I am having trouble determining what type of receiver I need for the hive thermostat. The one that just controls the heat or the one for heat and hot water.

The current thermostat I have for my oil boiler when switched on heats the radiators and the hot water but there is no separate control for just hot water on the front of the thermostat.

As you can see from one of the pictures attached, there are four wires into the thermostat :
    L in, N in, N out and L out.

There is also a separate thermostat upstairs that just controls the element in the Immersion cylinder.

I have studied the self install guide but I am still unsure:

https://www.hivehome.com/img/attachments/Hive_Thermostat_Installation_Guide.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Hi,

I am having trouble determining what type of receiver I need for the hive thermostat. The one that just controls the heat or the one for heat and hot water.

The current thermostat I have for my oil boiler when switched on heats the radiators and the hot water but there is no separate control for just hot water on the front of the thermostat.

As you can see from one of the pictures attached, there are four wires into the thermostat :
    L in, N in, N out and L out.

There is also a separate thermostat upstairs that just controls the element in the Immersion cylinder.

I have studied the self install guide but I am still unsure:

https://www.hivehome.com/img/attachments/Hive_Thermostat_Installation_Guide.pdf

So that picture is a mechanical timer, not a thermostat.

The timer is upstairs just controls your immersion,there is no thermostat on that except for one that slides into the element.

Can you take a picture of your boiler?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭D12C

Does anyone know if it's possible to set up notifications for Hive i.e. when the heating is turned on? Either through the app itself or another app? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

D12C wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it's possible to set up notifications for Hive i.e. when the heating is turned on? Either through the app itself or another app? Thanks

IFTTT does I think....

• Advertisement

TRV's can now be pre-ordered, working out at about £40 each for a 5 pack so not bad price wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭mel123

TRV's can now be pre-ordered, working out at about £40 each for a 5 pack so not bad price wise.

I think this is expensive! I LOVE my hive, but for the sake of remembering to turn on rads in spare rooms i think they are over priced. Maybe i just dont have a lot of use for my spare room though and thats why i think that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

mel123 wrote: »

I think this is expensive! I LOVE my hive, but for the sake of remembering to turn on rads in spare rooms i think they are over priced. Maybe i just dont have a lot of use for my spare room though and thats why i think that.

Agreed, but I foresee my resolve breaking once there's a price reduction or a sale event, I'll definitely pick at least one up to tinker with, the TRV in my spare room is hard to access behind the bed so...any excuse!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

prob noob question but just gotten Hive installed today with new boiler, ive setup schedules on hive thermostat , but i cant figure boost option, once i go to select quick boost, eventually im thrown option quick cool ?

scamalert wrote: »
    prob noob question but just gotten Hive installed today with new boiler, ive setup schedules on hive thermostat , but i cant figure boost option, once i go to select quick boost, eventually im thrown option quick cool ?

Yeah, for some reason they now call it quick cool but this is the boost option, can cycle through from 30mins to 6 hours I think. You can also boost it with the buttons on top of the thermostat.

Yeah, for some reason they now call it quick cool but this is the boost option, can cycle through from 30mins to 6 hours I think. You can also boost it with the buttons on top of the thermostat.
    thx for reply know of the buttons, but wanted to see in app and while it says quick boost, then where time setup comes in turns to quick cool. got app on another phone older Samsung and it says boost :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I'm thinking of getting Hive for a two bed apartment to control the radiators and hot water separately. Is it worth getting for small-ish apartments, and if so, is there anything in particular I should know before taking the plunge into a smart heating system?

VonLuck wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting Hive for a two bed apartment to control the radiators and hot water separately. Is it worth getting for small-ish apartments, and if so, is there anything in particular I should know before taking the plunge into a smart heating system?

I wouldnt have clue what way its setup is it block of apartments, is boiler in your hot press ? or just a knob on a wall to control heating on/off ?

I have it setup on semi d came with new gas boiler - insulation is crap in general for house, so few C drop can easily be felt.

running heating for half an hour bring temps up about 0.5/0.7c in the house so its not bad.

in general you can control it mainly off your phone and set whatever routines that suit you, ex id run how water for 15 mins before someone comes home of work at night then another half an hour in the morning - that routine id use until its still most days 18-20c in house.

aside installation cost i cant see much downfall, specially in smaller apartment as you say it would work more effective as less space to heat so temps would be up faster - of course usual insulation of apartment counts as well.

as ive yet to test it fully once winter hits to see average temps in house and how often ill need to run it. but mobile aspect is great, to turn it on from where ever you might be, to kick in heating or hot water before your back.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

VonLuck wrote: »

I would. I have it in my home for the last two years and find it extremely handy, particularly when away and want to come back to a warm house / hot water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turniton

Have the exact same programmer and use two nests to give me 3 zones (same idea as the hives)

You don't need to get rid of programmer only put all to on. I kept it so if the nests decide to become an issue in the future i can kill them off, small bit of rewiring a junction box and i'm back in business with a simple timer programmer - it just allows for more options

Choice to keep or get rid of the programmer (personally I'd keep it)

Sorry guys. I have an EPH R17 (1 zone) manual control, that I use to program heating times. let s say I get the hive. I ll leave the EPH control ON and than with the Smart Phone I can control heating time through the Hiive (sorry I am new to this)

Advertisement