Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hive Active Heating etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Folks,

I have a gas boiler which can separately heat the hot water tank and heat the radiators. I've a timer which runs one schedule for the heating and a different one for the hot water.

Will a Hive Active Heating - https://www.hivehome.com/ie/products/hive-active-heating - be able to replace my current timer on its own or do I need to add a Heating zone?

The product page above and the product guide suggest that it will. However BGE when I contact them to schedule the installation say that it won't.
    Hive's online chat say that they don't know much about boilers but they generally go with what the installer says :confused:

I think previous posts in this thread indicate it will do what I want, but I'd appreciate it if anyone can confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭mel123

Yes it will. Hive has two options, u can heat your water without your heating on, or put on your gas heating (which in most cases heats your water anyway, but even if yours is not set like this yes, you can pick either or, or both)

Also to add, If your not getting it free from BG and buying it yourself, there is 25% discount on until midnight direct from hive. Not sure how their prices compare from amazon but worth checking out.

mel123 wrote: »
    Yes it will. Hive has two options, u can heat your water without your heating on, or put on your gas heating (which in most cases heats your water anyway, but even if yours is not set like this yes, you can pick either or, or both)

That's what I was hoping to hear, thanks. Order placed!

BGE have almost 7 weeks lead time for installation at the moment :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Pity I was thinking about getting it and hoped I could get it up and running before Christmas

I am just installing new gas system

Will have 3 zones and water

I wonder do I have to buy hive for all zones or just the ones I want to control remotely? I.e., can I leave some of the zones so they can only be activated from the house? Does that functionality remain on site?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

a148pro wrote: »
    I wonder do I have to buy hive for all zones or just the ones I want to control remotely? I.e., can I leave some of the zones so they can only be activated from the house? Does that functionality remain on site?

You will need to buy Hive for all zones. Hive replaces your existing controller.

If your existing controller is controlling 3 zones and you set up Hive with just two zones, then you will have one zone that you have no control over (no control from within the house or from the App i.e. you won't be able to turn that zone on or off).

I'm actually installing a new system and the classic Irish luddite refuse to change attitude is to refuse to install any of this fancy stuff, so have to get it myself. Just didn't want to double up on cost, or labour.

Rang hive and they said I could use the old thermostats but why would I as it would not be much more to put in a hive thermostat than one of the old style ones. I think they're prob right.

So the next q is, if doing that do I need a time clock or does hive do that? Hive told me I don't need a time clock.

Finally, given that its a long delay to get hive installed, can you go with people other than bord gais and could I just get plumber to leave all the heating and water running so i would literally just turn on the boiler to heat the entire house and water while I'm waiting for hive to arrive?

(or else I just buy it myself and get someone to do it - I'd bet its actually just the same and the lads have the fear)

The attraction of an established company like bord gais doing it for you, at a pretty good price (299 without additional stats, think its 120 per additional stat) is that you have recourse if something goes wrong, which given the fear of the people involved, seems a reasonable prospect

I'm actually installing a new system and the classic Irish luddite refuse to change attitude is to refuse to install any of this fancy stuff, so have to get it myself. Just didn't want to double up on cost, or labour.

Rang hive and they said I could use the old thermostats but why would I as it would not be much more to put in a hive thermostat than one of the old style ones. I think they're prob right.

So the next q is, if doing that do I need a time clock or does hive do that? Hive told me I don't need a time clock.

Finally, given that its a long delay to get hive installed, can you go with people other than bord gais and could I just get plumber to leave all the heating and water running so i would literally just turn on the boiler to heat the entire house and water while I'm waiting for hive to arrive?

(or else I just buy it myself and get someone to do it - I'd bet its actually just the same and the lads have the fear)

The attraction of an established company like bord gais doing it for you, at a pretty good price (299 without additional stats, think its 120 per additional stat) is that you have recourse if something goes wrong, which given the fear of the people involved, seems a reasonable prospect

Are BG not giving them out free anymore?
    Even if not, ring them and tell them your switching if they dont want to offer you one, they usually do then. For the sake of all the hassle, its worth getting off them where possible, its all free and at least your getting it installed by someone registered!

That was my thinking. I think previously you had to sign up to a tariff which I viewed as being a likely rip off so was avoiding. Now they're coming "sim free".

• Advertisement

Bord gais now telling me they're not compatible with wet underfloor, which is one of my zones, and given that I understand it takes a bit to heat up, probably the one i'm going to use the most apart from water.

I hadn't come across this problem in my research?

Bord gais now telling me they're not compatible with wet underfloor, which is one of my zones, and given that I understand it takes a bit to heat up, probably the one i'm going to use the most apart from water.

I hadn't come across this problem in my research?

I was told the exact opposite of what it says here. Hmmm....

https://www.hivehome.com/support/Our_Hive_Products/OHP_Hive_Active_Heating/Will-Hive-Active-Heating-control-my-underfloor-heating

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Is the thermostat built into the main controller? Can I control the temp in each room or is it only by zone?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Its built into the main controller - you control the zones.

Are there smart thermostats that would allow individual room control?

And I assume the upstairs control would actually need to be placed upstairs to get the temp?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

mel123 wrote: »

Just looking at this, do you know, must one have the hot water and general home heating separated for this to work? At the moment, when my gas boiler is on, water and rads all heat together. One zone basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

You need to have separate zones (as far as I'm aware).

I've 3 zones in my house - hot water, living rooms and bedrooms - the Hive basically fires up the boiler and opens whatever zone(s) I tell it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Just looking at this, do you know, must one have the hot water and general home heating separated for this to work? At the moment, when my gas boiler is on, water and rads all heat together. One zone basically.

Do you have a 'summer' switch beside the boiler - ie. switches it to hot water only?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭THE ALM

I was in a similar situation only with an oil boiler, when it was on it heated the hot water and the radiators. Looking at the set up we had we had the boiler which fed two circulating pumps, one supplying the radiators and other the hot water tank. This was timed using a simple immermat timer. I felt that it should be an option to split these so that we could switch on one, the other or both as we didn't need to heat the house in the summer but could the hot water.

When I seen the Hive with Hot water on sale on Amazon last year I ordered it in the hope that it would work.

I consulted a plumber with a view to having just one pump and then adding zones valves and splitting it this way and replacing the timer with the Hive. He thought that it should be do-able leaving as is and we consulted an electrician.

The electrician then went about taking off the immermat timer which he replaced with the Hive receiver. A small consumer box was added with two relays and the pumps wired to these and then back top the receiver. We didn't have a thermostat in the house so the Hive, being wireless could be placed anywhere.

All in all I would say he was done in less that an hour and we have happily been using hive for the last year. You would need to consult an electrician to see if this would work. Wasn't a particularly complicated job for him and thankfully access to everything was on the one wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

pm1977x wrote: »
    Do you have a 'summer' switch beside the boiler - ie. switches it to hot water only?

No, I have just a on/ off / timer box next to the boiler.
    If it is on, everything is on, if it off, everything is off if you get me.

Bord Gais offering me a free Hive but I am wondering is it even any use to me.
    Should I look at getting place zoned to break off the hot water supply?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Pegasus177

pm1977x wrote: »
    Recently had the Hive 2 installed by Bord Gais and so far very happy with it, no connectivity issues and the app is very user friendly. I'm using it several times a day at the moment and it's coming in very handy.

Also purchased a Hive tuneable/dimable bulb to play around with and despite the cost it's an interesting entry point into smart lighting. Bought this via Amazon as although you can get them here, they are far more expensive.

Considering getting a door sensor too so if anyone has any experience with them, please share!

Just wanted to start this thread for other Hive users to share issues, tips or general waffle.

Could you tell me is the internet connection for a hive to function hard wired? Or wireless?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Pegasus177 wrote: »
    Could you tell me is the internet connection for a hive to function hard wired? Or wireless?

The hub needs to be hard wired to your router or a wifi extender/booster box, the thermostat is wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

I'm getting hive installed in the next few weeks...
    i've ordered the hive active heating that says it controls hot water and an extra multiroom thermostat...just wanna double check my set up..i have 2 thermostats, 1 up and 1 downstairs and water tank in hot press with stat...there's also 3 of those zone valves/actuators in hot press...i presume i don't need another thermostat for the hot water do i? i'm not too pushed about using the zones separate as i don't mind putting all on at once..any info appreciated...

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

Bussywussy wrote: »
    I'm getting hive installed in the next few weeks...
    i've ordered the hive active heating that says it controls hot water and an extra multiroom thermostat...just wanna double check my set up..i have 2 thermostats, 1 up and 1 downstairs and water tank in hot press with stat...there's also 3 of those zone valves/actuators in hot press...i presume i don't need another thermostat for the hot water do i? i'm not too pushed about using the zones separate as i don't mind putting all on at once..any info appreciated...

I had the exact setup as you, you don’t need an extra stat for hot water. I have a stat in the hall that controls downstairs and hot water and 1 in the bedroom for upstairs, and u can control them all separately from your phone. The hot water control is only timed not temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

ah perfect that's the job..I got the google home too so it'll be a novelty for a while :):)

Some questions:

If I install Hive, will my old timer become redundant?
    Where is the stat housed?
    If the Hive gets installed in place of the old timer, wont it then take the temp readings from that location (under stairs) meaning if i set the temp to say 22 it could be warmer or colder in the main living areas?

xabi wrote: »
    Some questions:

If the Hive gets installed in place of the old timer, wont it then take the temp readings from that location (under stairs) meaning if i set the temp to say 22 it could be warmer or colder in the main living areas?

I think all these questions are answered in this thread if you take a read back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Some questions:

Your old timer will become redundant.

The stat is wireless so can be placed anywhere.

The hive receiver will replace you current timer. The hub will need plugged into your router.

Can I control 3 zones from the Hive receiver when phones battery dies etc?

• Advertisement

Can I control 3 zones from the Hive receiver when phones battery dies etc?

No. But you can control the zone from the wireless thermostat.

Advertisement