Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home versus Amazon Echo

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

degsie wrote: »
    Does GH play music from your uploaded music library, or do you need to subscribe to the premium service?

Hi, sorry it took me a while to get back to you on this question.

Turns out the answer is sort of.

It can't play uploaded music by name or album, however if you add them to a playlist, you can then play that playlist including the uploaded music.

It doesn't matter if you are using just the free account or subscribe to the premium service.

Not a perfect solution, but at least something. I'm not sure if this limitation is just a bug (and thus likely to be fixed sooner or later) or if it is due to licensing issues.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Turns out this is the one issue with using an imported Google Home in the UK/Ireland.

The Chromecast Audios require a firmware upgrade to version 1.2.1 in order to work with Google Home, but currently UK/Irish Chromecast Audios are stuck on firmware 1.2.

There is a work around, if you can connect your Chromecast Audio to a US VPN and reboot them, then they should get the 1.2.1 firmware update and will then work with Google Home (note I haven't actually tried this yet, just what I've read elsewhere).

I'll add all this info to the FAQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I haven't tried yet, but I assume you will need to setup the VPN on your router, so that even as the phone connects and disconnects, it keeps connecting out via the VPN.

I'll try later this evening if I get a chance and let you know how it goes.

• Advertisement

Eckk, the Horizon box is terrible, I doubt you will be able to set a VPN on that, it is very locked down. Sorry.

You can request Virgin's new router that has WAY better wifi performance then the Horizon box for free here:

https://www.virginmedia.ie/besthub

Now this on it's own might not get you VPN ability, but then you can opt to put this router into modem only mode and connect your own router to it, which would normally have VPN ability.

At the least, I would say it is well worth it getting the new Virgin router for improved wifi.

It works alongside the Horizon box.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Ok collecting the Echo and Dot in a few weeks from the UK but in the States in the New Year and thinking of getting Google home. So just need US adapter for this ?Any other issues re location set up etc I can see has been posted here.
    Realistically when is this expected to be released in Europe, was hoping before Christmas but that seems highly unlikely and cannot find any information on when it maybe released?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Ok collecting the Echo and Dot in a few weeks from the UK but in the States in the New Year and thinking of getting Google home. So just need US adapter for this ?Any other issues re location set up etc I can see has been posted here.
    Realistically when is this expected to be released in Europe, was hoping before Christmas but that seems highly unlikely and cannot find any information on when it maybe released?

Even if it is released outside the US, some features will be missing such as YouTube Red.

The only issues I've come across so far:

1) Have to set your phones location to US Region to allow the Google Home app to work properly during setup.

2) You will need a US to Irish travel plug adaptor

3) Youtube Red isn't available in Europe yet.

4) Streaming to Chromecast Audio's isn't working unless you can update them to the latest firmware. If you are in the US and have some CCA, I'd recommend bringing them with you and setting them in the US to get the latest firmware.

I'm not sure we will officially see it here for a while, seemingly they are even sold out in the US. People over there are even finding hard to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭yrrag1974

Hi,

I got a Home back from US and I have to say after only 1 day that it's great. It has a huge wow factor. I'm using it mainly as an internet radio and it works brilliantly with TuneIn. I have a spotify premium account and its cool to be able to play any tune on request. The google assistant is great - all queries (even from the kids) are understood perfectly. Handy to have it in the kitchen for voice activated timers etc etc.

One thing though if you could check it on yours - are you able to get it to play RTE Radio 1? It plays all other Irish stations immediately but for some reason has problems with this?

It'll be even better when it gets Irish support in terms of Irish news etc but until then I can't fault it. Next generation of technology!!

Cheers

yrrag1974 wrote: »
    One thing though if you could check it on yours - are you able to get it to play RTE Radio 1? It plays all other Irish stations immediately but for some reason has problems with this?

Yes, I just tried, it isn't working! Every other station I try does work including RTE 2FM!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

yrrag1974 wrote: »
    Hi,

I got a Home back from US and I have to say after only 1 day that it's great. It has a huge wow factor. I'm using it mainly as an internet radio and it works brilliantly with TuneIn. I have a spotify premium account and its cool to be able to play any tune on request. The google assistant is great - all queries (even from the kids) are understood perfectly. Handy to have it in the kitchen for voice activated timers etc etc.

It'll be even better when it gets Irish support in terms of Irish news etc but until then I can't fault it. Next generation of technology!!

Cheers

Does the GH have an American accent or a UK accent, Just curious.

Caillte wrote: »
    Does the GH have an American accent or a UK accent, Just curious.

American

And my phone does now too after having to change the language :(

Also, as mentioned above, I tried RTE R1 also and had no joy.

There's no need to keep your phone on English US. You can change it back once you've done the initial set up.

• Advertisement

Ask it to play Rock, Paper, Scissors!:):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Does Google Home tell jokes like the Echo?

Haha, yeah, they really are dad jokes, but I sort of like them!

It also has loads of other word games, etc.

You can also ask it to translate words into different languages and even spell words. All very handy if you have kids.

Oh and don't forget to ask her to "open the pod bay doors", "what do you think of siri/alexa", etc.

I'm so easily amused :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

How do you get the Google Home device to play Audio through your Home Audio system?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

I would love if they could use the voice of HAL from 2001. It would freak my wife out. "I'm afraid I can't do that". Why is my wife so scared of that voice? Mad.

• Advertisement

givecredit wrote: »
    How do you get the Google Home device to play Audio through your Home Audio system?

As Patww79 says use Chromecast Audio, see details in the Google Home FAQ here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057668554
    emo72 wrote: »
    I would love if they could use the voice of HAL from 2001. It would freak my wife out. "I'm afraid I can't do that". Why is my wife so scared of that voice? Mad.

Ask her to "open the pod bay doors" for you :D

Advertisement