Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home versus Amazon Echo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭mel123

bk wrote: »
    Best buy don't deliver to Ireland. People are having it delivered to family and friends in the US and then they are posting it to Ireland.

Ah ok, thats what i was going to do, then wondered was it cheaper to get delivered by best buy direct and pay customs. That answers that, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I wouldn't be surprised at all. It works really well in Europe out of the box, at least in English speaking countries and they seem to be quickly fixing the one or two issues (such as Chromecast Audio's not working), a clear sign they are getting ready for it.

I think it will depend on person to person, I use it every day. This is what a typical days usage looks like:

- In the morning I carry the little monster into the living room and say "Turn on TV" which turns the TV onto Cbeebies to distract the little monster for a few minutes as I make a coffee!
    - As I make a coffee I ask it "what is the weather like?" and "what's my calendar for today?"
    - Through out the day music gets played by myself or the OH from Spotify. To be honest I think you need to have either a spotify premium or Google Home subscription and like music to get the most out of it.
    - When it gets dark "turn on the living room lights"
    - When it gets cold "turn on the boiler" (this one is new).
    - When we are cooking the timer frequently gets used.
    - Once the little monster is put to bed:
    -- "Dim living room lights"
    -- "Turn on shield TV" (for some Netflix/youtube watching).
    - When going to bed:
    -- Turn off living room lights
    -- Turn off tv
    -- Turn off boiler (if on)

The last three I will hope to integrate into one command once yonomi supports Google Home.

On their own, GHome and Echo are probably only of very limited use, you really need a music sub and some HA tech to really make use of them.

Hi Brendan, how are you getting to to work or control your TV? I have an LG smart TV and sky for example so how does that work?

The rest of the stuff, I have a fully controlled lighting and heating system which I am hoping I can integrate as well, so fingers crossed :-)

What system are you using for lighting and heating?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

mel123 wrote: »
    People getting it delivered here, how much are best buy charging in shipping? And how much is customs potentially?

Not sure that Best Buy ship internationally so I've got a friend to send it.

I may be being naive but I'm hoping that customs will ignore it as it's not coming from a merchant and therefore is clearly a gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Just nabbed one on Best Buy at that price. Had to give them a US state and zip-code for my debit card so maybe I'm not in the clear yet but they seem to have accepted the order. Getting a pal to ship it here.

Looking forward to getting it - thanks for all the updates on it BK.

See here for guidance on using international cards buying online with BestBuy. They provide a US address & zip code to use with foreign registered cards. Worked fine for me ordering a few things for store collection on my last trip.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Hi Brendan, how are you getting to to work or control your TV? I have an LG smart TV and sky for example so how does that work?

BTW I'm not Brendan :)

Logitech Harmony Hub to control TV, AV, sat box, shield TV, now TV, ps3, ps4, etc.

What system are you using for lighting and heating?

Philips Hue for lighting (works brilliantly, highly recommended). Netatmo Thermostat.

• Advertisement

BTW I'm not Brendan :)

Sorry, I have no idea why I called you Brendan :eek:
    Logitech Harmony Hub to control TV, AV, sat box, shield TV, now TV, ps3, ps4, etc.

Thanks, I might look into that, although I would think that support for LG and Sky sat would prob not be too far away!

Philips Hue for lighting (works brilliantly, highly recommended). Netatmo Thermostat.

Cool, was curious, I am using a wired system called Velbus, in conjunction with a securty system called comfort, which integrates lots of different control systems together. There is a guy who has developed a smart things interface to comfort, which I think home will support smartthings, and then I am laughing :-)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Thanks, I might look into that, although I would think that support for LG and Sky sat would prob not be too far away!

Well Harmony Hub would certainly support LG TV's and I use to have it working with Sky sat when I had it (FTA linux box now).

It will basically work with any device that supports IR, plus loads of devices that support Bluetooth and IP control.

At the moment, the GHome and Echo support is limited to just turning on and off activities (which involves turning on all devices and setting them to the correct input).

However if you are willing to hack things with Home Assistant, then you can do a lot more such as changing channels, volumes, play/pause, etc.
    Cool, was curious, I am using a wired system called Velbus, in conjunction with a securty system called comfort, which integrates lots of different control systems together. There is a guy who has developed a smart things interface to comfort, which I think home will support smartthings, and then I am laughing :-)

Seemingly GHome has direct support for Smartthings out of the box, though I haven't played with it as I don't have a Smartthings hub, but I'm sure I will eventually!

Well Harmony Hub would certainly support LG TV's and I use to have it working with Sky sat when I had it (FTA linux box now).

It will basically work with any device that supports IR, plus loads of devices that support Bluetooth and IP control.

At the moment, the GHome and Echo support is limited to just turning on and off activities (which involves turning on all devices and setting them to the correct input).

However if you are willing to hack things with Home Assistant, then you can do a lot more such as changing channels, volumes, play/pause, etc.

Seemingly GHome has direct support for Smartthings out of the box, though I haven't played with it as I don't have a Smartthings hub, but I'm sure I will eventually!

Cool, I looks like then, i just need to get the interface (http://www.comfortforums.com/forum27/4534.html ) and a smart things hub to get it up and running...loooking forward to christmas now :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Most of that sounds like smart home hardware stuff, which I'm really having trouble wrapping my head around so that takes away most of the use for having Home at all. The only things I have are the Chromecast Audio (which now finally works with Home) and the Shield TV (which no longer works with Home).

I might set it up in the kitchen though (in the living room currently) as a timer might be handy. To be honest though, I'll give it another month and stick it on DoneDeal before they go on sale here if I still find no uses for it or if they don't make it more functional.

That would be a shame,the functionality will improve over time, this stuff never all happens in one go

• Advertisement

What isn't working on your shield TV? works great for me.

Of course it isn't for everyone and it well maybe not for you. For me I think there are three major areas where it comes into play:

- Music:
    Honestly this is a most have for music lovers. It is just fantastic for music lovers with a Spotify Premium or Google Music account. All the music in the world to fill your home at the command of your voice! It really is a music lovers dream come true.

And then the ability to have that music play all around your home with chromecast audios for much cheaper then Sonos.

Also great for people who like radio for similar reasons.

- Home Automation:
    I think it is a must have for Home Automation fans. It is so much easier to control HA gear with voice then it is to take the phone out of your pocket, unlock it, find the Hue/Harmony/Netatmo app and then navigate it to control things.

Home/Echo have made using HA tech so much easier and I've gotten much more enthusiastic about HA tech since getting these.

- General search by voice:
    Things like asking about the weather, your calendar appointments, commute time, the height of the highest mountain in Brazil (2,900+ meters BTW, was just asking it this today!), etc.

This works, but I admit it is probably the weakest thing for now and also the area I think we will see improve in future.

I can totally see having the following conversation with GHome in future:
    - Hey Google, I'd like to order a pizza from Dominoes.
    - Sure what would you like? Your normal order?
    - No, I think I'll try something different today. I'll have a 9" peperoni Pizza
    - Sure, anything else?
    - Yup a can of coke and some wedges
    - Is that all?
    - Yup
    - Ok, 9" peperoni Pizza, wedges and a can of coke are on their way.

And then 20 minutes later, GHome announcing:
    - Hey BK, the pizza guy is about to arrive

Or order a taxi from uber or book a table at a restaurant or buy cinema tickets or tickets to a play or put together a tesco online grocery order or a million other things.

Sorry, I'm not trying to convince you of anything Patww79, if it isn't for you, then it isn't for you. I'm just describing in general where I think I see their usage.

For music fans or HA fans, then it is a must have today. For everyone else, it can be useful today, but maybe not mind blowing yet, but I think it will get there in time as it gets smarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

friends have a google home for me, will have it back here next week. I'll have to get phillips hue kits to have something to do with it. damn you to hell BK! you gawddamn techno addict enabler. seriously dude how do you even sleep?

emo72 wrote: »
    friends have a google home for me, will have it back here next week. I'll have to get phillips hue kits to have something to do with it. damn you to hell BK! you gawddamn techno addict enabler. seriously dude how do you even sleep?

Haha, very comfortably under the soft red glow of my Hue lights! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

emo72 wrote: »
    seriously dude how do you even sleep?

He asks Google or Alexa to put him to bed.

He has cost me a fortune in the last month.
    Bought 1 ECHO Dot when they were released. I now have 3.
    Then Spotify Premium, Family Account through BA.
    Then two wemo sockets,
    Then 3 gu10 colour,
    Then 6 more GU Colour,
    Then 3 e27 colour, starting kit,
    Then 3 b22 colour,
    Lets not forget the 4 dimmers with white bulbs for outside.
    Im sure I,ve forgotton something.
    Oh yes now looking at the Netatmo Smart Thermostat with ECHO dot on amazon.

Of course I'm still trying to convince myself that I'll save money in the long run.

Also considering Google Home. God Dame it....BK!!

I Should add, Its brillant. Thanks...

Haha, wish I got a commission for all this!

Next forum we will have to create on boards is Home Automation Anonymous! :D

Patww79 wrote: »

Ah, fair enough then. The difference for me is that me and the misses have relatively the same taste in music and actually don't watch much TV, so often we will just turn on some music during the day, while in the living room, cleaning the dishes, doing choirs, hobbies, etc. or just chilling out on a lazy Sunday morning.

Also surprisingly we put the phones away in the evening as it can be too distracting, with work emails, etc. So it can be nice to be without the phone, but still ask questions, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Ah, fair enough then. The difference for me is that me and the misses have relatively the same taste in music and actually don't watch much TV, so often we will just turn on some music during the day, while in the living room, cleaning the dishes, doing choirs, hobbies, etc. or just chilling out on a lazy Sunday morning.

Also surprisingly we put the phones away in the evening as it can be too distracting, with work emails, etc. So it can be nice to be without the phone, but still ask questions, etc.

That's one hell of an open relationship you got there!

:eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Hey there, I'm wondering if someone could point me in the right direction, I'm ready to pull the trigger on the echo dot tomorrow if it reduces but I have a friend going to the states next month who could potentially pick up the GH for me.

I'm leaning towards the dot because of the price as I have two Bose Soundtouch speakers so I don't need the large echo,
    But I'm deeply integrated with the Google now so maybe that would trump the dot in that regard.

I have a few Hue bulbs, smart TV, the bose speakers I mentioned and a nest so they would be my main requirements.

If you were me what way would you sway?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

bk - I'm curious about the chromecast audio with Google Home as I'd be interested in avoiding the expense of Sonos.

If you are playing to multiple chromecasts in different rooms, is it possible activate per room thru Google Home? How do you manage volume?

As you go from one room to another, are there "synch" issues, i.e. being delivered at slightly different times so if you're between two rooms it the music is not in synch.

Hey there, I'm wondering if someone could point me in the right direction, I'm ready to pull the trigger on the echo dot tomorrow if it reduces but I have a friend going to the states next month who could potentially pick up the GH for me.

I'm leaning towards the dot because of the price as I have two Bose Soundtouch speakers so I don't need the large echo,
    But I'm deeply integrated with the Google now so maybe that would trump the dot in that regard.

I have a few Hue bulbs, smart TV, the bose speakers I mentioned and a nest so they would be my main requirements.

If you were me what way would you sway?
    Thanks.

Hmmm... very hard to say!

I think GHome is better and it would probably work very well with your nest, but with your setup it would be a lot more expensive.

You either looking at two dots for 100 (or 80 if they are reduced in the black friday sale tomorrow as everyone is expecting).

2 GHomes, will cost you $280 and if you want to continue using your bose speakers, then another $40 for two chromecast audios. So almost 3 times the price!

I think perhaps it wouldn't be worth that difference and two dots will be good enough for you. The GHome isn't that much better, specially not for Spotify Premium.

bk - I'm curious about the chromecast audio with Google Home as I'd be interested in avoiding the expense of Sonos.

If you are playing to multiple chromecasts in different rooms, is it possible activate per room thru Google Home? How do you manage volume?

As you go from one room to another, are there "synch" issues, i.e. being delivered at slightly different times so if you're between two rooms it the music is not in synch.

You can create "groups" that include 2 or more CCA's.

So lets say you have two CCA's called "living room audio" and "bedroom audio", you can then create a group called "home" that includes them both.

You can then say to GHome:
    - "Play music on home group" and the music will come out of both the CCA's

Alternatively you can play music out of just one CCA by saying:
    - "Play music on bedroom audio" and the music will come out of just that CCA then.

What you can't do is say "play song X out of CCA A" and simultaneously say "play song Y out of CCA B", if that makes sense.

Volume is managed on your individual speakers, or at least I think it is, I must try that tonight.

I haven't noticed any synch issues and you can adjust the delay in the app if you do have issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭niallb

I have three :D . They sync up well, and you can control relative volume within the group through "Google Home the app" as well as the overall volume with the application volume control.

I can't get Google Assistant to change the volume on the speakers when spotify is casting so I guess Google Home would be in the same position.
    I have a Nexus 6, but Google things it's a Pixel XL so it's running Assistant.
    My chromecasts are on firmware 1.21 .

You can assign names to different groups, but I can't get them to select by voice control. Again, I don't have the actual Home device, but I'm experimenting as best I can!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭niallb

OK. I've just wasted the last half hour talking to myself and renaming devices so they don't have the words "Speaker" or "Group" in their names.

I don't get any results here, but someone with a real home might be able to use:

"Cast [songname]/[playlistname] onto [speakername]" or

"Cast [songname]/[playlistname] from [applicationname] onto [groupname] group"

My chromecasts show up in the app as having the country code "IE" which may be preventing some of the features being active. I don't for example have the "Enable Voice Control" item when I create a group from them.

I think the CCA's also need to be set to the US locale.

So make sure it is set to the US locale and make sure firmware is at least 1.21

You will then also need to activate voice control in the Google Home App.

Oh and by the way, the command I use (and works) is:
    - "Play music on <group/device name>"

I'm not sure saying cast works, just in case that is the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭andy125

If you have 2 CCA, say one in kitchen and one in living room and my music source is google play music, using ghome can one song be played in the living room and one different song be played in the kitchen at the same time from the same source?

andy125 wrote: »
    If you have 2 CCA, say one in kitchen and one in living room and my music source is google play music, using ghome can one song be played in the living room and one different song be played in the kitchen at the same time from the same source?

I don't think so, not with Spotify anyway, I don't have Google Music.

If you bought two Google Homes and set them up separately, each linked to a separate Google Music account, then it might be possible.

• Advertisement

I don't think so, not with Spotify anyway, I don't have Google Music.

If you bought two Google Homes and set them up separately, each linked to a separate Google Music account, then it might be possible.

I would imagine thats not a technical limitation though ?

Seems sonos will have the edge for a bit more though!

Advertisement