Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Nelbert wrote: »
    Wireless has its place but something like the hub which by design is going to stay in one spot should really come with an Ethernet port.

Absolutely, this is the reason I've everything that has an ethernet port, plugged into ethernet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Nelbert wrote: »
    Once you've done that reboot the harmony. Been fine for me ever since that change (with my older smart control hub, not sure if issue is still present with companion hub..... I assume the hub part is identical but not sure).

Still the same. It works fine for a while then just takes forever to complete the commands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

How do you get Alexa to email you your shopping list? When I ask her to do that all she does is read it out to me. Maybe I need to add a skill?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

How do you get Alexa to email you your shopping list? When I ask her to do that all she does is read it out to me. Maybe I need to add a skill?

Why email it to you? Just use the app in the shop and check them off as you go :) what i do... hope it helps. If email is required you could probably write a custom IFTTT recipe for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Anyway to check the address that Big Sky is using.
    Weather doesn't seem to match up with reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

kennM wrote: »
    Why email it to you? Just use the app in the shop and check them off as you go :) what i do... hope it helps. If email is required you could probably write a custom IFTTT recipe for it

That makes sense actually ha cheers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

no need to write one, there is already an IFTTT recipe for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

There's a premade ifttt recipe to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

FYI the brilliant Bring shopping list app told me they are working on a Skill to add it to Alexa also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

fionny wrote: »
    FYI the brilliant Bring shopping list app told me they are working on a Skill to add it to Alexa also.

Didn't like that app at all. I use Anylist which I have linked to Alexa through an IFTTT recipe using the Reminders app on my iPhone. Works flawlessly.

• Advertisement

tallpaul wrote: »

Didn't like that app at all. I use Anylist which I have linked to Alexa through an IFTTT recipe using the Reminders app on my iPhone. Works flawlessly.
    To each their own! Bring worked flawlessly and easily for my wife and I, nice big clear interface for when running around the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

mossym wrote: »
    This is the sticky...:)

Nah... a sticky is a one-pager.. usually the first post in a thread, to save people trawling through 493 posts

So bk would you mind updating it please? :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

mrcheez wrote: »
    Nah... a sticky is a one-pager.. usually the first post in a thread, to save people trawling through 493 posts

So bk would you mind updating it please? :)

Yeah, the issue is that I can't edit the OP after a few days. Only a mod can. I send them on updates from time to time, but I don't want to bother them too much with updates.

"Alexa: Did you fart?"

Was already using OurGroceries to share the shopping list with Mrs Frash

"Alexa: ask OurGroceries add milk"

This will add it to your default shopping list in OurGroceries

The Redfm thing is driving me mad. I assume the Dublin location is throwing it out.

Also why the hell if I ask for the weather do I get a forecast to some place in Japan i have never heard of? Device location is set to o Connell st.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

The Redfm thing is driving me mad. I assume the Dublin location is throwing it out.

Also why the hell if I ask for the weather do I get a forecast to some place in Japan i have never heard of? Device location is set to o Connell st.

Exact same problem....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Shane732 wrote: »
    Exact same problem....

I just ask 'What's the weather like in Ireland' and she asks 'Which City'

Works fine then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,753 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Installed the 'Ron Burgundy unofficial" skill yesterday and got Alexa to quote me lines from Anchorman.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

Has anybody bluetooth paired with local music on their mobile and bluetooth speakers at the same time?
    Also has anybody paired with a Pi3 running kodi?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

boopolo wrote: »
    Has anybody bluetooth paired with local music on their mobile and bluetooth speakers at the same time?

Bluetooth will only pair with one device at a time.

Yes, I have it working with my Pi running kodi connected to my TV via HDMI, it will play a specific movie if i ask it eg: "Alexa, ask the TV to play Anchorman". Or i can say "Alexa, ask the TV to play, pause, fast forward, rewind etc"

It will also give me a list of any new movies / TV shows in my kodi library.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

davo2001 wrote: »
    boopolo wrote: »

Bluetooth will only pair with one device at a time.

Yes, I have it working with my Pi running kodi connected to my TV via HDMI, it will play a specific movie if i ask it eg: "Alexa, ask the TV to play Anchorman". Or i can say "Alexa, ask the TV to play, pause, fast forward, rewind etc"

It will also give me a list of any new movies / TV shows in my kodi library.
    Thank you. Will have my two dots next week. Love the Pi3 and Kodi. Using Yatse at the moment to control. My new home should be finished later this year, and I will be controlling it with Homeseer HS3 PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

Regarding weather forecast with Alexa;
    If I ask for weather I get the forecast for Le Son in Japan (my location is set to Dublin)
    If I specify Dublin I get the forecast alright just a pain always asking for Dublin
    I enabled big sky and I believe/hope I'm getting the reports for Dublin but the temperature is in Fahrenheit.

Appreciate if anyone has solutions to either of above

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

The option for celcius was on the sign up page of bigsky.
    I think you can change your options here - http://sarkonovich-2.elasticbeanstalk.com/sign_in

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

did you not set the temperature to celcius when you set up/enabled the big sky skill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

duffer247 wrote: »
    Regarding weather forecast with Alexa;
    If I ask for weather I get the forecast for Le Son in Japan (my location is set to Dublin)
    If I specify Dublin I get the forecast alright just a pain always asking for Dublin
    I enabled big sky and I believe/hope I'm getting the reports for Dublin but the temperature is in Fahrenheit.

Appreciate if anyone has solutions to either of above

For the first one you need to specify your location for Alexa to use it's native skill. My thinking it's because Bing Maps is crap it and Leeson St is the nearest it found - so reports back for Le Son. Just use Big Sky - it's better.

Orion wrote: »
    Just use Big Sky - it's better.

I asked before but is there anyway to verify that BlueSky is using the address I gave it at setup?

frash wrote: »
    Orion wrote: »
    Just use Big Sky - it's better.

I asked before but is there anyway to verify that BlueSky is using the address I gave it at setup?

Agreed I set it up once and it spouted off some totally whacky info... the web page is crap and doesnt tell you if its accepted your address or where it thinks you are or anything..

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

@mossym don't recall setting it, no.

No option to reset password on Big Sky, should I set up new a/c and disable skill on Alexa and then enable again?

• Advertisement
Advertisement