Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Is there a simple wifi bulb that would work with Alexa? I don't want hubs or bridges just a bulb on its own that Alexa can turn on and off. I found a TP-Link one on the Amazon USA site but unfortunately it's not a bayonet type.

not really. would a lamp work? you can use a cheap controlled socket like the TPLink (even the HS1000 :) ) and a normal buld

the bulbs tend to be zwave or similar, so need a bridge. there are a few out there but the main offerings need a bridge .

other option would be to replace the light switch, which might be cheaper in the long run?

degsie wrote: »
    Where did 1000/1100 come from? They are HS100/110, no?

sorry, i took the number from the post before mine, couldn't remember the exact number , just knew the 10 was non metering and the 11 was metering

fixed my post now

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭BobPresto

HS1000, HS1100? *HS100*HS110

• Registered Users Posts: 9,753 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

davo2001 wrote:
    Incase anyone is interested, got alexa working well with Kodi, very little buffering and response time seem pretty good so far.

Impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

davo, how?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

davo2001 wrote: »
    Incase anyone is interested, got alexa working well with Kodi, very little buffering and response time seem pretty good so far.

Assume this is local library only?

mossym wrote: »
    not really. would a lamp work? you can use a cheap controlled socket like the TPLink (even the HS1000 :) ) and a normal buld

the bulbs tend to be zwave or similar, so need a bridge. there are a few out there but the main offerings need a bridge .

other option would be to replace the light switch, which might be cheaper in the long run?

After more research I think I'm going to go with one of these TP Link LB110 bulbs when they're back in stock coupled with one of these adapters.

After more research I think I'm going to go with one of these TP Link LB110 bulbs when they're back in stock coupled with one of these adapters.

I'll take it you live in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

mossym wrote: »
    posting this to have a go at myself, as apologies for making it look like i was having a go
    someone-on-the-internet-is-wrong.jpg

All is forgiven so :p,I was on a website last night that highlighted the differences between the HS100 and 110 as being communication with Alexa,alto ugh at the same time this particular website tried to hack my laptop so maybe it wasn't the best place to get info _)-:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Is there a simple wifi bulb that would work with Alexa? I don't want hubs or bridges just a bulb on its own that Alexa can turn on and off. I found a TP-Link one on the Amazon USA site but unfortunately it's not a bayonet type.

Don't buy bulbs from the US, they won't fit our light fittings and they don't support our voltage.
    Note the listing says:
    - Shape A19, E26 Fitting
    - Voltage 120 volts

We use E27 and 240 volts here.

Lifx make wifi only bulbs that work with Alexa and are designed for the UK/Ireland. Check out Amazon UK for them.

However if you plan to buy more then one bulb, then I'd highly recommend Philips Hue. Even though it requires a hub, it is far superior to wifi bulbs as previously discussed on the forum.

Yeah stupidly I forgot about the whole voltage thing! :D :rolleyes:

bk wrote: »
    Don't buy bulbs from the US, they won't fit our light fittings and they don't support our voltage.
    Note the listing says:
    - Shape A19, E26 Fitting
    - Voltage 120 volts

We use E27 and 240 volts here.

Lifx make wifi only bulbs that work with Alexa and are designed for the UK/Ireland. Check out Amazon UK for them.

However if you plan to buy more then one bulb, then I'd highly recommend Philips Hue. Even though it requires a hub, it is far superior to wifi bulbs as previously discussed on the forum.

This right here is what I was getting at, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

d31b0y wrote: »
    Assume this is local library only?

Yes, well videos are taken from a stored NAS on the same network but it would work from external sources using WebDAV and such.

Anyone know what other brand of bulbs can connect to the Philips hue bridge?

Yes, well videos are taken from a stored NAS on the same network but it would work from external sources using WebDAV and such.

Did you have to do a bit of port forwarding with IPv4?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

BobPresto wrote: »
    Did you have to do a bit of port forwarding with IPv4?

Yeah but that's the easiest part of the process.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Anyone know what other brand of bulbs can connect to the Philips hue bridge?

While some third party bulbs work, they aren't officially supported and in the past Philips disabled them with a firmware update. They reversed that, but nothing stopping them doing so again in future.

The other bulbs aren't that much cheaper, specially if you keep an eye out on sales, then there is often not much of a price difference, not worth risking it IMO.

Got a new virgin hub 3 and they changed me over to IPv6😥 still waiting for them to change it back to IPv4.

bk wrote: »
    While some third party bulbs work, they aren't officially supported and in the past Philips disabled them with a firmware update. They reversed that, but nothing stopping them doing so again in future.

The other bulbs aren't that much cheaper, specially if you keep an eye out on sales, then there is often not much of a price difference, not worth risking it IMO.

Guess I'll be keeping an eye on Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Got this working last night.

Did you have any issues with your music library? I had to put empty in the music slots as it kept giving warnings over characters being limited to 140 characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Hi guys got my echo dot and mostly use for radio and Spotify but want to expand it to electric sockets like kettle etc.could someone point me in the way to buy the best home plugs.also getting the hue shortly so can control lights.thanks

could someone point me in the way to buy the best home plugs.

http://www.powercity.ie/index.php?par=20-27-HS110&action=moreinfo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

That is not a 'homeplug' but a 'smart' plug. Picky I know :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

DarrenG wrote: »
    Still the same. It works fine for a while then just takes forever to complete the commands.

An update on this. Had it working flawlessly for approx 15 mins last night then 10 mins later, back to I could not connect to your Harmony hub. It's as if the hub is sleeping.

Waiting to hear back from Logitech as I've exhausted all other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Even Dublin bus cant get that right

Has anyone got a skill yet for Dublin Bus ? Would be great to ask what time is next bus at stop number 3441 etc .

londonred wrote: »
    Has anyone got a skill yet for Dublin Bus ? Would be great to ask what time is next bus at stop number 3441 etc .

https://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Rodriguez-Next-Bus/dp/B01N488SN5

Haven't tested it but give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 wicked_wytch

londonred wrote: »

There is one, look up Next Bus skill, I have it enabled but haven't used it yet so can't tell you if its any good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I havent enabled any skills yet, when I click on this it says my account is amazon.oc.uk, how do I get around this? Thanks

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I havent enabled any skills yet, when I click on this it says my account is amazon.oc.uk, how do I get around this? Thanks

Make an Amazon.com account, I used a different email address so as to keep it separate from my UK account. You can link your own Spotify account back up to your us account and whatever else no problem.

Advertisement