Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I havent enabled any skills yet, when I click on this it says my account is amazon.oc.uk, how do I get around this? Thanks

Does anyone have any experience with using this with a thermostat such as Nest? I'd love to be able to say "Alexa turn on the heating for twenty minutes" and remain on the sofa!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,753 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Feel like such a dumb ass, if I wanted to turn the volume up from 6 to 10 I've been saying "Alexa, volume up" [wait].... "Alexa, volume up" [wait]... "Alexa volume up again" [wait]... "Jayzus Alexa, f**king volume up again!!" when all this time all I had to say was "Alexa, volume ten" or "alexa, louder". :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Feel like such a dumb ass, if I wanted to turn the volume up from 6 to 10 I've been saying "Alexa, volume up" [wait].... "Alexa, volume up" [wait]... "Alexa volume up again" [wait]... "Jayzus Alexa, f**king volume up again!!" when all this time all I had to say was "Alexa, volume ten" or "alexa, louder". :rolleyes:

You're not alone :(

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

That isn't dumb, what's dumb is certain people in my household telling "Alexis" to do stuff and then complaining about it not working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Does anyone have any experience with using this with a thermostat such as Nest? I'd love to be able to say "Alexa turn on the heating for twenty minutes" and remain on the sofa!
    Yeah, I have Nest set up with it.

"twenty minutes" won't work, just like it doesn't work with Nest. You have to set a temperature.

Also note that it needs you to reference the thermostat by name, you can't just say, "Turn heating up". Mine is called "Hallway", so I have to say, "Alexa, set Hallway to 20 degrees".

I plan on renaming that thermostat to "heating".

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭currants

srsly78 wrote: »
    That isn't dumb, what's dumb is certain people in my household telling "Alexis" to do stuff and then complaining about it not working.

:D We've had Alexia used here. Wouldn't be it be great if they got Joan Collins to voice Alexa.
    "Turn off lamps"
    "OK dahling"

srsly78 wrote: »

Arsenal fans per chance?

I occasionally call mine "Alexia" [A-lex-ee-aah]

Why? I have no idea.

Every time Alexis Sanchez is mentioned when an Arse*** match is on Alexa goes mental!! I only watch to see them lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

you can also turn it up to 11 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Every time Alexis Sanchez is mentioned when an Arse*** match is on Alexa goes mental!! I only watch to see them lose.

Eh less of that

I go just as mental

Be sure to set the equaliser as well.. I posted earlier in this thread how to do it.

Makes such a difference to the sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Using netatmo can only say turn up/down heating so I use Netatmo app

When I say Alexa living lights off.. Alexa lights up swirling and says item not responding.. seconds later lights turn off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Netatmo responds to temperature...

"Alexa, set <device name> to 20 degrees"

mrcheez wrote: »
    Be sure to set the equaliser as well.. I posted earlier in this thread how to do it.

Makes such a difference to the sound.

There's an equaliser?

Aha! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101854784&postcount=1243

frash wrote: »
    You're not alone :(

Thanks

Control music with your voice

Use these commands when you listen to music.

"What's playing?"
    "Turn it up."
    "Softer."
    "Volume 4."
    "Mute."
    "Stop the music."
    "Pause."
    "Resume."
    "Next song."
    "Loop."
    "Repeat this song."
    "Play some music to help me sleep"
    "Set a sleep timer for 30 minutes."
    "Stop playing music in 30 minutes."
    "Cancel sleep timer."
    "Add this song" (while Prime Music is playing).
    "I like this song" (when a song or track from a third-party provider / Amazon Stations are playing).
    "Thumbs down" (when a song or track from a third-party provider / Amazon Stations are playing).

yep also http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101876445&postcount=1255

Take note of the fact the volume changes when you change the level, so you always have to increase/decrease volume after.

A small side effect and probably why it's not officially acknowledged as a feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Does Just Eat work in Ireland does anyone know? I've never used Just Eat, just created an account there this evening because of my Echo. Placed my 1st order on PC then ten minutes later asked Alexa for an order update. She said I didn't have any orders, and I note that Echo is only mentioned on Just-Eat.co.uk and not .ie.

If it doesn't work for Ireland I really don't understand why. I can't imagine there's any extra work involved - the functionality is pretty limited and offers just order updates or repeat orders which is just driven from the Just Eat website.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Branoic wrote: »
    Does Just Eat work in Ireland does anyone know? I've never used Just Eat, just created an account there this evening because of my Echo. Placed my 1st order on PC then ten minutes later asked Alexa for an order update. She said I didn't have any orders, and I note that Echo is only mentioned on Just-Eat.co.uk and not .ie.

If it doesn't work for Ireland I really don't understand why. I can't imagine there's any extra work involved - the functionality is pretty limited and offers just order updates or repeat orders which is just driven from the Just Eat website.

Again, Amazon Echo is NOT officially supported in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Would really like to see the gambling sites create a skill. You could be watching a match and say Alexa, what price is Rooney to score next....and then place a bet from your linked account by voice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

Just wondering what sports news people have set up on their Echo? I have news for my premier league team but would like something bit more general or something like fixtures\current scores in PL

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

8-10 wrote: »
    Would really like to see the gambling sites create a skill. You could be watching a match and say Alexa, what price is Rooney to score next....and then place a bet from your linked account by voice.

The fact that Alexa responds to ANY voice would make this a bit of a nightmare to implement. Imagine your mates betting your house on a Wane Rooney goal for a laugh!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

What smart plug would people recommend..I just want one to turn on and off a single appliance using voice control.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭BobPresto

Hellrazer wrote: »
    What smart plug would people recommend..I just want one to turn on and off a single appliance using voice control.

Tp Link WiFi plugs are grand. Ye can get them from powercity and DID for €24.99 and €29.99 for the energy metered 1.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

BobPresto wrote: »
    Tp Link WiFi plugs are grand. Ye can get them from powercity and DID for €24.99 and €29.99 for the energy metered 1.

Are they easy to set up??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Hellrazer wrote:
    Are they easy to set up??

Yes, they are very easy to set up. Download the kasa app to give them a name, then install the skill on the echo and that's it really

Yes, they are very easy to set up. Download the kasa app to give them a name, then install the skill on the echo and that's it really

Cool I'll pick one up tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

Am I correct in thinking tp link isn't supported by Yonomi app?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

duffer247 wrote: »
    Am I correct in thinking tp link isn't supported by Yonomi app?

It isn't, nor IFTTT, Stingifiy, etc. It is the downside of this plug, it has very limited integration with services. Wemo seems to do better in this regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

bk wrote: »
    It isn't, nor IFTTT, Stingifiy, etc. It is the downside of this plug, it has very limited integration with services. Wemo seems to do better in this regard.

Anyone using a WEMO with Alexa?
    Have one somewhere but haven't used in ages.

Advertisement