Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

duffer247 wrote: »
    Just wondering I have Spotify as my default but I still have to say "...on spotify"
    Also how do you set up sports briefing - all I can see is the option to pick a team

You can pick skynews Sports as part of your briefings ,regarding the Spotify I need to look into it as it seems 50/50 with regards people having to say Spotify or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Just wondering I have Spotify as my default but I still have to say "...on spotify"

Depends what you are asking for. If asking for a specific album you may need to say "on spotify".

Try saying "Alexa play some jazz"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

RTE news now flash briefings skill is officially available under the newest arrivals category.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

My Story so far

She arrived on Friday

Spotify all good as long as Spotify is set up as default Player "Play Queen" etc works or naming a Particular play list,no need to mention Spotify.

Sports Briefing set up for Sky Sports
    "Liverpool" set up as Sports team

Also how do you set up sports briefing - all I can see is the option to pick a team
    I was under the impression this happens if you've a US account? For me I dont have to say spotify at all... I could say Alexa... play awolnation and off she'll go.

RTE news now flash briefings skill is officially available under the newest arrivals category.

Good on RTE. It's just a pity it's in Alexa's voice rather than a recording. Just my own personal preference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Good on RTE. It's just a pity it's in Alexa's voice rather than a recording. Just my own personal preference.

It's a good sign for an Irish launch. RTÉ as a spender of public money couldn't really justify doing it unless it was in anticipation of an Irish launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Awesome, I added this and a few others to the skills thread.
    Nelbert wrote: »
    It's a good sign for an Irish launch. RTÉ as a spender of public money couldn't really justify doing it unless it was in anticipation of an Irish launch.

Not really. Plenty of people in the UK that are interested in hearing about Irish news. Since it was already setup for the .com market, I imagine it was pretty easy to port it over to .co.uk
    I doubt they'd have been given any insider information like that.

d31b0y wrote: »
    Awesome, I added this and a few others to the skills thread.
    Skills thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Skills thread?

Open alexa app (or in browser). Go to 'skills' on LHS of page. Type RTE. Add RTE News to supported skills. Alexa will now give you RTE news bulletin when you say "Alexa, whats in the news?" or something like that.

Skills thread?

Open alexa app (or in browser). Go to 'skills' on LHS of page. Type RTE. Add RTE News to supported skills. Alexa will now give you RTE news bulletin when you say "Alexa, whats in the news?" or something like that.
    I know that I pointed out that I found it may night.
    I thought there was an recommended Echo should thread on boards.

• Advertisement

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057688378
    There's not much in it at the moment but I am still hopeful it will take off :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ecribs

I am Looking at attempting to develop some basic skills for Alexa at home for fun. Anybody have any good ideas on resources or good places to get started to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

mrcheez wrote: »
    Depends what you are asking for. If asking for a specific album you may need to say "on spotify".

Try saying "Alexa play some jazz"

Did this work?! Just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Is the RTE skills set now on .co.uk address? Had to change mine to .com to get this and now all the skills very US based and no sky sports. May change it back to .co.uk and reset up my smart home again

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ecribs

Is the RTE skills set now on .co.uk address? Had to change mine to .com to get this and now all the skills very US based and no sky sports. May change it back to .co.uk and reset up my smart home again

Yep it is now available on the UK store. Still awaiting the likes of the Dublin bus app to move over.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

You can pick skynews Sports as part of your briefings ,regarding the Spotify I need to look into it as it seems 50/50 with regards people having to say Spotify or not.

I still can't seem to find the Sky Sports skill either through skills or the news briefing menu in settings. what am I missing here:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

I still can't seem to find the Sky Sports skill either through skills or the news briefing menu in settings. what am I missing here:(

On the Skills page type in Sky Sports,keep the space between the words,its there

You can also define the order in which it plays back the news

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭garbeth

If your on theUS skill store it's not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

garbeth wrote: »
    If your on theUS skill store it's not there.

yep just realised I'm defaulting to .com rather than co.uk:confused:
    Apart from the obvious (sky sports skill) does this matter - should I be looking at switching?

I prefer the us store. The voice isn't as good but the availability of skills is better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

looks like I'm on the US store too

How do I change to .co.uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

RTE News Now app works flawlessly!! Really handy to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

frash wrote: »
    looks like I'm on the US store too

How do I change to .co.uk?

Online chat with Amazon UK support

Or go to Amazon.com log in and select manage devices and change country. Select U.K. Address (parcel motel) and then log back into Alexa app.

You'll have to setup your wifi and smart home again and all skills may be lost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

garbeth wrote: »
    Or go to Amazon.com log in and select manage devices and change country. Select U.K. Address (parcel motel) and then log back into Alexa app.

You'll have to setup your wifi and smart home again and all skills may be lost

Is it worth the hassle?
    What are the advantages?
    I know it'll solve my "on Spotify" issue but is there anything else?
    No interest in Sky Sports skill.

I prefer the .com store as they have more skills. The .co.uk store would have better flash briefing skills or at least more relevant to here

Try it out you can always change back if you don't like it.

To go from.co.uk to .com go to Amazon.com and follow my instructions above
    To go from .com to .co.uk go to Amazon.co.uk and follow instructions above.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I've to say "on spotify" on the uk version, but not on the US version, is that the same with everyone else?

Once you have the default player set to spotify on the uk account, you don't have to say "on spotify".

• Registered Users Posts: 3 555john

I'm new to the Echo Dot this week. It's working fine but 2 notable exceptions.

- The Weather it gives me is for Japan (i'm in ireland and have my address set up in the Alexa App)

- NewTalk radio comes up as 'Young Turks 24/7'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

555john wrote: »
    I'm new to the Echo Dot this week. It's working fine but 2 notable exceptions.

- The Weather it gives me is for Japan (i'm in ireland and have my address set up in the Alexa App)

- NewTalk radio comes up as 'Young Turks 24/7'

Have you read this thread? This has been mentioned DOZENS of times already.

Advertisement