Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

I was rather pleased with myself last night getting my Media PC / TV working somewhat with Alexa. For anyone interested I have a LightwaveRF hub with the sockets but this would work with the TPlink sockets or the WeMo etc...

My TV I noticed in the past will switch back on if it was on when the power goes out... so that was one plug... Alexa Turn on the TV easy.
    My Media Centre PC I was able to change a BIOS setting for what to do on AC Return... I set it to always on. This way when the Power comes on the PC will boot up. So Alexa turn on the Computer... You obviously do NOT turn off the PC by just cutting the power but do a proper shut down first.  This setup has the added bonus for me of being able to turn on the PC from anywhere (where Wake on LAN was a bit **** in the past)
    I then have an overall group for the 2 if they are both off Alexa Turn on the Media Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Im at my wits end.

Cant install the Alexa App from play store and when i go to alexa.amazon.co.uk on the phone it diverts me to the play store and says your country is not supported.
    On a laptop it brings me to a setup page and no option to download an apk to install on the phone.

I can configure through the laptop but would prefer the app.

I looked through 200 posts but there are 7-800 posts here.

Maybe add the install instructions on the first post with the FAQ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

dfdream wrote: »
    Im at my wits end.

Cant install the Alexa App from play store and when i go to alexa.amazon.co.uk on the phone it diverts me to the play store and says your country is not supported.
    On a laptop it brings me to a setup page and no option to download an apk to install on the phone.

I looked through 200 posts but there are 7-800 posts here.

Maybe add the install instructions on the first post with the FAQ...

I downloaded the apk direct to laptop and side loaded to both android phone and tablet

I presume I can mention where I got it from apkpure.com

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

d31b0y wrote: »
    I've just set this up and this has increased Alexa's usefulness by about 300% IMO.
    So many times I have asked Alexa a normal trivial question and she comes back with "I could not find the answer".
    The Google search is so much better. Granted, you have to get the wording just right sometimes but the responses are far better than that of the vanilla Alexa responses.
    OK, there is a little bit of work to do to set it up but there are some pretty clear instructions out there on how to do it. It's very hard to go wrong.
    It might take an hour to setup if you don't know anything about what you are doing, but it's well worth every second spent. In all, I reckon it took me about 20 minutes.

This makes it a lot more useful, thanks for posting.

Thanks for that lad.
    Hate downloading from unofficial sites with the plethora of hacked apps on all kinds of sites.

I downloaded the apk direct to laptop and side loaded to both android phone and tablet

• Advertisement

Thanks for that lad.
    Hate downloading from unofficial sites with the plethora of hacked apps on all kinds of sites.

Then you'll have to wait until its offically launched in Ireland... or get a UK SIM or something

Thanks for that lad.

Then you'll have to wait until its offically launched in Ireland... or get a UK SIM or something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Latest version of the app straight from my phone;
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/2zg3ls14trjrm4d/Alexa_1.0.201.7-prod_8624710.apk?dl=0

Guaranteed 100% virus free.
    You can trust me.

You can trust me.

Thats just what Del Boy would say while peddling dodgy goods :P

del-boy-lookalike.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

DarrenG wrote: »
    Finally got the Harmony Hub and Echo dot working flawlessly thanks to some suggestions on the Logitech community forum. If anybody else is getting the dreaded "I was unable to reach your Logitech Harmony Hub", changing the TCP session timeout on your router from 60 (or 120 in my case) to 3600 fixes the issue.

Every command now works and connecting through the cloud to my hub always works every time.
    Anyone know how to change the TCP timeout on the Virginmedia Superhub3?. I've looked but cant see it in settings :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You can yes alexa.amazon.co.uk on your phone too, just change the phones browser to display the desktop version of the app (google your browser for details on how to do this, it differs from browser to browser).

There isn't much advantage to using the apk, it seems to be just a wrapper around the website, it doesn't do anything extra.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

podge3 wrote: »
    Anyone know how to change the TCP timeout on the Virginmedia Superhub3?. I've looked but cant see it in settings :o

I don't think you can, I think the Virgin router is pretty locked down.

This would be a good reason to use the Virgin router as just a modem and attach your own, better router to it so that you can do more advanced options like this.

Yes, I realise that means more cost and that sucks.

bk wrote: »
    I don't think you can, I think the Virgin router is pretty locked down.

This would be a good reason to use the Virgin router as just a modem and attach your own, better router to it so that you can do more advanced options like this.

Yes, I realise that means more cost and that sucks.
    I kinda thought it wasn't possible.

I've had nothing but trouble with this new "Superhub", its a piece of sh1t :mad:. The old UPC router worked away for years without a problem, this new one is giving nothing but trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

podge3 wrote: »
    I kinda thought it wasn't possible.

I've had nothing but trouble with this new "Superhub", its a piece of sh1t :mad:. The old UPC router worked away for years without a problem, this new one is giving nothing but trouble.

Can't you run an ether net cable to the old router and use it?

Jayop wrote: »
    Can't you run an ether net cable to the old router and use it?
    The old modem is a cable modem so no WAN port. I suppose I could connect the new bridged Superhub to a LAN port but I don't think I'd have any firewall then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

A guide on how to install the Google skill if anyone is interested:

http://alexamods.com/guide-install-ask-google-alexa-skill/

Adds alot more versatility IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

davo2001 wrote: »

How long did it take for your account to fully activate after the $1 was taken.

Also guys could someone tell me the fastest way to change my account to US from UK.
    There's a region specific skill for harmony that is supposed to make requests far more straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Mine only took a few minutes to activate. Google search is working now on my Echo dot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

DarrenG wrote: »

Mine only took a few minutes to activate. Google search is working now on my Echo dot.
    Mine is active now thanks but under the triggers it isn't giving me Alexa options.

Do I need to select a certain Blueprint?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭gomara

Mine is active now thanks but under the triggers it isn't giving me Alexa options.

Do I need to select a certain Blueprint?

My account took one day to activate. If you're not getting the Alexa options under triggers make sure your zone ( top right in aws) is see the to Ireland Europe, that should do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 ecribs

For anyone looking to experiment this youtube playlist is really cool and it should keep growing depending on popularity :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ge9KV8Kzac&list=PLimdZi1-IEt6LIkL_6XuPuCbfAV-2fCL4

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

ecribs wrote: »
    For anyone looking to experiment this youtube playlist is really cool and it should keep growing depending on popularity :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ge9KV8Kzac&list=PLimdZi1-IEt6LIkL_6XuPuCbfAV-2fCL4

Nice thanks. I note he has a video on controlling Kodi from Alexa.. it might be more stable than the hacky method I used earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

davo2001 wrote: »

Followed the guide and skill not showing up :confused:

Working now, wrong amz account :rolleyes:

You can trust me.

d31b0y I get this error when I try to run your file...
    hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Hmm, same here but it installs from the local file that I have before uploading to drop box. Looks like the download is modifying the apk somehow.
    Try this zipped version (be sure to unzip first).
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/7hv5agwxc6mrwfg/Alexa_1.0.201.7-prod_8624710.apk.zip?dl=0

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Plex now has a skill for Alexa.

Anyone tried it? I've enabled it but not tried yet. I use Plex on my Apple TV with the server running in my Mac so not sure how simple it will be to get it to play something through Apple TV.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Sorry for the stupid question but what exactly does Plex do and why should I use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Zascar wrote: »
    Sorry for the stupid question but what exactly does Plex do and why should I use it?

It's a media server. I have a lot of movie/tv/music files that I stream to my tv and hifi and Plex is the interface with poster art, synopsis, episode guides etc.

It is a fantastic media server. It basically comes in two parts, the server and clients.

The server runs on an always on pc, nas, Nvidia shield and organises all your content stored on a Harddrive or NAS, which you can then stream to various plex clients running on mac,pc,ios,android,firetv,shield tv,ps3/4, etc.

Basically great if you have your own library of video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Advertisement