Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

For those who are experiencing problems with kasa plugs, like myself, just got this

We recently learned that users are experiencing an issue when using the Kasa app remotely and/or with Amazon Alexa Voice Control. Users are reporting receiving these error messages:

503 Service Temporarily Unavailable
    Server internal error
    Amazon Alexa voice control error stating, Sorry, the device is not responding. Please check its network connection and power supply.

Our smart home team is working diligently to identify and resolve this as quickly as possible. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience as we work to resolve this issue. We will email you again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

For those who are experiencing problems with kasa plugs, like myself, just got this

We recently learned that users are experiencing an issue when using the Kasa app remotely and/or with Amazon Alexa Voice Control. Users are reporting receiving these error messages:

503 Service Temporarily Unavailable
    Server internal error
    Amazon Alexa voice control error stating, Sorry, the device is not responding. Please check its network connection and power supply.

Our smart home team is working diligently to identify and resolve this as quickly as possible. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience as we work to resolve this issue. We will email you again

Got this too, good to know. This issue is a total PITA, and seriously hinders using the TP-Link sockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

No noticeable effects here. I've only the one plug though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Excellent problem solving skills with a strong attention to detail

:p:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Jaden wrote: »
    Got this too, good to know. This issue is a total PITA, and seriously hinders using the TP-Link sockets.

Ive been testing Home Assistant on a raspberry pi and connected my TP links to it and it works great.

You can connect all these to it and you are somewhat protected if the broadband or services go down.

https://home-assistant.io/components/

It communicates directly with some devices but if you want alexa or IFTTT to work you need broadband working and the service working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Howdy

Just an Echo Tips and Tricks update that I got from CNET via email

Tips and Tricks
    https://www.cnet.com/how-to/amazon-echo-alexa-tips/?ftag=CAD-04-10aaf6e&bhid=

Easter Eggs
    https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-echo-alexa-easter-eggs/

All Echo commands as of December 2016
    https://www.cnet.com/how-to/the-complete-list-of-alexa-commands/

The kids are now asking her their Maths and English homework questions

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Howdy

Just an Echo Tips and Tricks update that I got from CNET via email

Tips and Tricks
    https://www.cnet.com/how-to/amazon-echo-alexa-tips/?ftag=CAD-04-10aaf6e&bhid=

Easter Eggs
    https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-echo-alexa-easter-eggs/

All Echo commands as of December 2016
    https://www.cnet.com/how-to/the-complete-list-of-alexa-commands/

The kids are now asking her their Maths and English homework questions

I was amazed at the size of the waxing moon last night and asked Alexa "When is the full moon?"

12th March apparently, and she proceeded to tell me the present status.

Nice little touch

There's a guy I subscribe to on YouTube and he has just released a video on controlling Kodi with Alexa

Its only out this morning so haven't tried it yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LczsjqegsGk

There's a guy I subscribe to on YouTube and he has just released a video on controlling Kodi with Alexa

Its only out this morning so haven't tried it yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LczsjqegsGk

I haven't looked at the video yet but does it control Exodus or only content in your local library/torrents?

The version I implemented yonks ago worked well with my local library and torrents, but not Exodus (beyond Play/Pause)

• Advertisement

mrcheez wrote: »
    I haven't looked at the video yet but does it control Exodus or only content in your local library/torrents?

The version I implemented yonks ago worked well with my local library and torrents, but not Exodus (beyond Play/Pause)

I haven't looked myself,only got notification before I came into work,will hopefully try it out tonight

I have Plex App added to Roku 3 and also to an M8 II 2GB RAM Android Box and Plex Media Server set up on a laptop which all works well(also controlled by Harmony Elite Remote set up) So will see what different ways i can control it

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ecribs

Anyone get amazon music to work in Ireland? It seems to say payment method failed every time I try to get it for the device

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

ecribs wrote: »
    Anyone get amazon music to work in Ireland? It seems to say payment method failed every time I try to get it for the device

Use a Revolut card. Works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ecribs

tallpaul wrote: »
    Use a Revolut card. Works perfectly.

Thanks Do I need to change my address anywhere for this to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

Would like the functionalities of the harmony hub but it's a little pricey. Anyone have experience of a similar device with same capabilities?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Would like the functionalities of the harmony hub but it's a little pricey. Anyone have experience of a similar device with same capabilities?

Nothing else comes even close. PUt a price watch on camelcamelcamel, they are often reduced during various sales.

bk wrote: »
    Nothing else comes even close. PUt a price watch on camelcamelcamel, they are often reduced during various sales.

I bought the Elite from Amazon.de delivered to the door for 174 Euro on .UK at the same time it was 190 GBP

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I bought the Elite from Amazon.de delivered to the door for 174 Euro on .UK at the same time it was 190 GBP

I got my Elite for 140 gbp, about €160 at the time. Well worth it, great device.

The Harmony Ultimate has been available for £99 in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mgtp45

Hi I'm having trouble with mastermind on alexa. When I try to send a message or make a phone call mastermind puts number 1 before the mobile number e.g. 10854463211 so she cannot send messages or make calls. She recognises my contacts and in my messages the message is sent but my contacts are not receiving. Alexa will only call landlines. Would you have any idea how I could fix this. Mastermind installed on Android and it says all permissions are allowed ???

bk wrote: »
    I got my Elite for 140 gbp, about €160 at the time. Well worth it, great device.

The Harmony Ultimate has been available for £99 in the past

Apologies for the lazy question but could someone explain to me in simple terms what is so good about it? Obviously the integration with Alexa, just what can you do?

• Advertisement

mgtp45 wrote: »
    Hi I'm having trouble with mastermind on alexa. When I try to send a message or make a phone call mastermind puts number 1 before the mobile number e.g. 10854463211 so she cannot send messages or make calls. She recognises my contacts and in my messages the message is sent but my contacts are not receiving. Alexa will only call landlines. Would you have any idea how I could fix this. Mastermind installed on Android and it says all permissions are allowed ???

Just tested mine and all seems to work,it will ring mobiles etc. the only issue I've noticed to date is pronunciation of names with regards contacts but I'm assuming that's an AI issue

The Matermind team are very quick with help queries etc.Address below
    support@convessa.com

Have you tried the obvious,disable then re enable the skill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I'm on camel and I got a price alert this morning that the elite is down to £116 on Amazon. You'll do well to get it cheaper than that.

Jayop wrote: »
    I'm on camel and I got a price alert this morning that the elite is down to £116 on Amazon. You'll do well to get it cheaper than that.

Fantastic price for this, go, go.
    Apologies for the lazy question but could someone explain to me in simple terms what is so good about it? Obviously the integration with Alexa, just what can you do?

Alexa is nice with this, but not the main reason to get this. It is more like the cherry on top.

The advantage of Harmony remotes, is that it replaces multiple remotes with just one remote and makes it much easier to use.

I use to have almost a dozen remotes on my coffee table and had to juggle between them to change activities. Harmony massively simplified things. I know have just one remote rather then 12!

It is particularly useful if you have surround sound. For example before I'd have to use the TV remote to turn on the TV, the Sky remote to turn the the Sky box, and the AV remote to turn on the AV and then switch the inputs on both the AV and TV to the correct one.

With Harmony this is now all done with just one button press.

Of course if you have a simple setup, with just a TV and no separate boxes, then it is of more limited use.

The other nice thing about it, is the IR blaster, which allows you to hide away all your boxes in a cupboard or another room and it still works. The remote talks to the IR blaster by RF, there is no need to point the remote at the TV, etc. which is really nice. This feature is very much appreciated by the other half, makes the room look much nicer and not like a server room like it use to! :D Also a great feature to keep expensive boxes away from sticky fingers.

Wow thank you for taking the time to do the comprehensive reply. I've actually had a few Logitech remotes (including the old favourite Harmony One). Was just curious what this does that they charge such a premium for it and how it integrated with Alexa. I love my gadgets but I think I can do without it (not saying it isn't great just not essential for my setup.)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Silverfluffs

Wow thank you for taking the time to do the comprehensive reply. I've actually had a few Logitech remotes (including the old favourite Harmony One). Was just curious what this does that they charge such a premium for it and how it integrated with Alexa. I love my gadgets but I think I can do without it (not saying it isn't great just not essential for my setup.)

Ah, I had the Harmony One too in the past, was a great remote. Then I got the Harmony Ultimate and now the Elite!

The advantage of the Ultimate/Elite over the One is the following:

- Smartphone app for control and setup
    - Integrates with Alexa
    - Non line of sight (in the cupboard, etc.)
    - Works with Bluetooth devices and IP controlled devices
    - Can control smart bulbs (Hue) and plugs (Wemo)

Plus the Elite just feels great in the hand. But yeah, you mightn't need any of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Silverfluffs

Alexa Lives in Your iPhone Now (US, should follow soon for this side of the water).

http://uk.pcmag.com/software/88381/news/take-alexa-on-the-go-in-amazons-shopping-app

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Mariomaker

Is there a fix for Newstalk yet. When requesting Alexa to play Newstalk I say "Alexa play Newstalk FM" but it bring me to a station called the Young Turks in the USA. Anyone have an idea how to resolve?

Mariomaker wrote: »
    Is there a fix for Newstalk yet. When requesting Alexa to play Newstalk I say "Alexa play Newstalk FM" but it bring me to a station called the Young Turks in the USA. Anyone have an idea how to resolve?

"Alexa play Newstalk FM on TuneIn"

Works for me

• Advertisement

Hi

Stumbled across this earlier(no affiliation) ,general FAQ's applicable to Ireland can be taken in conjunction with post #1 by "bk"

https://smarthomeguide.ie/2017/01/14/the-complete-guide-to-using-amazon-echo-in-ireland/

Seems to be other similar topics covered too

Might be handy for some

Advertisement