Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Hi

Stumbled across this earlier(no affiliation) ,general FAQ's applicable to Ireland can be taken in conjunction with post #1 by "bk"

https://smarthomeguide.ie/2017/01/14/the-complete-guide-to-using-amazon-echo-in-ireland/

Seems to be other similar topics covered too

Might be handy for some

Great idea except Amazon shut down a similar UK site. Wait and see....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

Mariomaker wrote: »
    Is there a fix for Newstalk yet. When requesting Alexa to play Newstalk I say "Alexa play Newstalk FM" but it bring me to a station called the Young Turks in the USA. Anyone have an idea how to resolve?

One other way to get Newstalk Radio to work on TuneIn as follows:

Login to your Alexa account
    http://alexa.amazon.co.uk

- Select Music & Books
    - Select Tunein
    - Select Local Radio
    Seach bar at the top
    - Search for "Newtalk"
    - Select "Newstalk"

412290.jpg

- Select "Now Playing" on the left side main menu
    (Newstalk should be playing as default)

- Click on "Newstalk" icon over on right hand side
    - Select "Favorite Station"

412293.jpg

This should help Alexa to remember the station

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭garbeth

Or say Alexa Play 107.6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Last night my HTC Boost app told me that I haven't opened the Alexa app in over a month and suggested that I delete it...

I can remember using Alexa exactly twice recently, once to show some guests how it works, and the other time was when I came home from work, there was music blaring and crackling. I was wondering if my neighbors had inadvertently connected to my speakers via Bluetooth... I spent ages trying to disconnect the speaker in question, until I discovered that it was Alexa... Don't know how she picked up the command, but very very annoying.

So now Alexa has proven her usefulness to me is equalled by her disruptiveness....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭mossie

Mariomaker wrote: »
    Is there a fix for Newstalk yet. When requesting Alexa to play Newstalk I say "Alexa play Newstalk FM" but it bring me to a station called the Young Turks in the USA. Anyone have an idea how to resolve?

I have exactly the same problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

What happens when you say "...play Newstalk FM on TuneIn"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Alexa, tunein NewsTalk FM works for me 40% of the time.
    The other 60% I've kids shouting, screaming, tearing around the place, choosing that exact time to shout "lexa tell me joke".

So in other words it works fine for me all things considered.

mrcheez wrote: »
    What happens when you say "...play Newstalk FM on TuneIn"?

It plays a station called FM Newstalk 97.1, not the Irish one. Saying play 107.6 plays a station called The Breeze in Basingstoke, England, saying Newstalk plays Young Turks. Adding Newstalk to favourites makes no difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I used to have the youngturks issues when I said "NewsTalk" as opposed to "NewsTalk FM".
    Are you set to amazon.com or amazon.co.uk?

"Alexa, play Newstalk FM Ireland on TuneIn", usually results in a confirmation question but works for me.

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    "Alexa, play Newstalk FM Ireland on TuneIn", usually results in a confirmation question but works for me.

This works, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

I just have to say "Alexa, play Newstalk FM".

Works 100% off the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

mossie wrote: »
    It plays a station called FM Newstalk 97.1, not the Irish one. Saying play 107.6 plays a station called The Breeze in Basingstoke, England, saying Newstalk plays Young Turks. Adding Newstalk to favourites makes no difference.

Is the Echo set to a location in Ireland?

Perhaps try setting the location to "5 O'Connell Street Lower, Dublin, IE"

That's what I have mine set to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

mrcheez wrote: »
    Is the Echo set to a location in Ireland?

Perhaps try setting the location to "5 O'Connell Street Lower, Dublin, IE"

That's what I have mine set to.

Yes, Setting location to Dublin makes big improvements. Echo works a lot better since end of last year.

For Radio Just say " Alexa, play newstalk" Alexa play 2fm, alexa play 98fm, All play 100% of times. I've tried a good range of stations. I radio i cannot play, Alexa suggests an alternative and plays it.
    If you say Alexa play radio 1, it plays BBC radio1, Play RTE radio 1, plays rte1

"Alexa whats the weather" gives Dublin weather. I live in Galway. " Alexa whats the weather in Galway" gives me galway weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

I have some of the IFTT applets connected 'Keep a google spreadsheet of songs you listen to on alexa' . Have looked around can't find where the content is stored? Triple checked my google documents nothing there and no further info on IFTT and no reply to email.

Can't figure it out:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I have some of the IFTT applets connected 'Keep a google spreadsheet of songs you listen to on alexa' . Have looked around can't find where the content is stored? Triple checked my google documents nothing there and no further info on IFTT and no reply to email.

Did you approve permissions for IFTT to access Google sheets?

It works fine for me for updating shopping lists and tracking my working hours on Google Sheets.

I have this set up too but the applet shows never run.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Papav3r

Anyone ever have issues finding skills?

I can't seem to find the justeat or guardian skills on the app or the website?

Am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Papav3r wrote: »
    Anyone ever have issues finding skills?

I can't seem to find the justeat or guardian skills on the app or the website?

Am I missing something?

You logged into .com rather than .uk ?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Papav3r

You logged into .com rather than .uk ?

Yeah, my digital content was set to US.

Swapped it over and getting the skills I was after.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Still having trouble with news talk........(registered in co.uk and ireland is location......Tried Newtalk, news talk FM, news talk 106.......have to select it from the app.....have searched the thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭garbeth

Try 107.6 works for me every time. If it doesn't cycle through all options from 106.0 to 106.9 if none of them work try 107.0 to 107.9 or 108.0 to 108.9.

One should work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭frash

Anyone's RTE Flash Briefing not updating?

Mine's been saying the same news for a couple of days now.

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Still having trouble with news talk........(registered in co.uk and ireland is location......Tried Newtalk, news talk FM, news talk 106.......have to select it from the app.....have searched the thread

"Alexa, play NewsTalk FM Ireland from TuneIn"

you are welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭johnwoods

Hey folks,
    I picked up a Dot in London the other day, working well so far.
    ( I lived in the UK for a few years so I had a UK amazon account with UK debit card setup)

Although this FAQ states that it will not support local weather in Dublin I actually managed to change my location from my old London address to my Dublin address.

When I ask Alexa for the weather she gives me weather for Dublin (without me having to specify Dublin).
    Additionally when I ask Alexa to play music, she plays on Spotify by default (again I changed the default music player to spotify).

A couple of questions I was hoping you could help with:
    1) The flash briefing weather doesn't work, it goes to give a forecast and then just says 'not available', even though asking for weather straight up just works. - Tried a restart and enabling and disabling the skill in flash briefing. Any other ideas? Anyone here got the weather working in flash briefing?

2) I'm surprised RTE have a skill, works well, shocked to see them be ahead of things for once, why would they support a device thats not even available in the country officially?

3) I can only seem to add a handful (approx 20) flash briefing skills, am I looking in the wrong place, or is there only a few of these?

I was thinking of writing my own skill to track dublin bus (Alexa ask Dublin bus when the next 130 is etc), also to track some cryptocurrency prices.

Anyway there doesnt seem to be any real limit to using Alexa in Ireland once you set your address properly. Any other limitations you guys are seeing these days?

johnwoods wrote: »

I was thinking of writing my own skill to track dublin bus (Alexa ask Dublin bus when the next 130 is etc)

4NextBus skill already does this

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭johnwoods

degsie wrote: »
    4NextBus skill already does this

Yeah it's good.

I also noticed that asking Alexa "what's up" causes her to give me the time and then go to say "here's what's happening" then she just stops.

Any idea?

Yeah it's good.

I also noticed that asking Alexa "what's up" causes her to give me the time and then go to say "here's what's happening" then she just stops.

Any idea?

Maybe she's just shy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Echo can now be paired by bluetooth with another speaker,wasn't possible previously

I have not tried it yet

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/amazon-echo-pair-with-a-bluetooth-speaker/?ftag=CAD-04-10aaf6e&bhid=

• Advertisement

I noticed this happens on the Echo but not the Echo dot.

Advertisement