Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭coley

Anyone notice Alexa has recently changed the way she says "sending that to IFTTT"? now it sounds like iffat :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

Set up my echo dot last weekend and last night I set up a couple of tp-link smart plugs via the Kasa App and linked to Alexa.

One of plugs I named "stick the kettle" and last night before I went to bed I filled the kettle and put the kettle switch into the 'on' position with the device deactivated.

When I woke first thing this morning I said "Alexa, stick the kettle ON" .
    Well, you wanna see my happy little face when 5-6 seconds later I could hear the kettle begin to boil downstairs in the kitchen before I had left the comfort of my duvet.

My wife said she hadn't seen me grin and so full of pride since our then 2 y.o. daughter said 'Da-da' for the first time 4 years ago.

This is my life now.

I genuinely laughed out loud at this. :pac::pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Papav3r wrote: »
    Yeah, my digital content was set to US.

Swapped it over and getting the skills I was after.

Cheers

How did you switch ??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

sharkman wrote: »
    How did you switch ??

I did it before via webchat

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭chrismcc409

Hi,
    Just a question on the revolut card. I set one up with my own Irish address. I assume this was a mistake? Am trying to transfer my amazon music account from U.S. to U.K. but the billing address for my card is presumably the Irish one I entered on set up and the transfer option will only accept United Kingdom for country. Would appreciate any advice?
    Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Papav3r

How did you switch ??

Under your account settings in amazon.

Digital Content ----> Manage Your Content and Devices
    > Settings (tab)

You'll see a Country Settings there which you can change.

That worked for me anyway. Was instant.

Guys , looking for some advice please . Trying to set my Echo Dot for my home address but the closest I can get it to accept is O Connell Street. I live in Swords . I've tried numerous combinations of address to no avail.

Any idea??

Guys , looking for some advice please . Trying to set my Echo Dot for my home address but the closest I can get it to accept is O Connell Street. I live in Swords . I've tried numerous combinations of address to no avail.

Any idea??

As it isn't officially supported in Ireland, that's as good as it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭NakQuada

Just to say, the weather works fine without specifying a location (as stated on post #1). I can say 'Alexa, what's the weather?' or 'Alexa what's the weather for tomorrow' and it'll work just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

NakQuada wrote: »
    Just to say, the weather works fine without specifying a location (as stated on post #1). I can say 'Alexa, what's the weather?' or 'Alexa what's the weather for tomorrow' and it'll work just fine.
    If you live in or near Dublin, that is true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Yeah, fine if you live in Dublin :rolleyes:

Otherwise you have to specifiy.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

i live in Ennis and i don't have to ask it for the weather in Ennis, i just ask for the weather forecast........... you should have your address in the general settings (Device Location) in the Alexa app

ctlsleh wrote: »
    i live in Ennis and i don't have to ask it for the weather in Ennis, i just ask for the weather forecast........... you should have your address in the general settings (Device Location) in the Alexa app

Yeah, and it will give you the weather for the address listed, which is Dublin.

I'm barely using this thing any more. What do you guys actually regularly use it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭NakQuada

Weather works fine wherever you are so long as your address is correct in the Echo's settings.

All I say is 'Alexa, what's the weather' and it works perfectly (from anywhere in the country)

Weather works fine wherever you are so long as your address is correct in the Echo's settings.

All I say is 'Alexa, what's the weather' and it works perfectly (from anywhere in the country)

Yes, i know but it will still just give you the weather for Dublin, you could be in Kerry and ask "Alexa, what's the weather" it will say blah blah blah 17 degrees etc but it is the weather for Dublin, not Kerry.

If you want local weather you have to say "What's the weather in Kerry" or "Ask big sky what's the weather".

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Things have improved since the FAQ was first written. I need to update the FAQ, but I can't edit it after all this time, I need the help of a mod to do it.
    davo2001 wrote: »
    Yeah, and it will give you the weather for the address listed, which is Dublin.

You can say: "What is the weather like in Cork"
    I'm barely using this thing any more. What do you guys actually regularly use it for?

- Spotify
    - Control of TV (Harmony Hub)
    - Control of lights (Hue)
    - Control of heat (Netatmo)
    - Weather
    - Cooking timers

Ask the value of π (pi) occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

Use with Broadlink RM Pro to control lights and any device that uses a remote (RF and IR).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

- Weather forecast
    - How much rain will I face cycling in the morning
    - Latest news highlights from BBC
    - Spotify - handy in the shower where I can shout out to her to change songs ;)
    - "What's the song that goes like..." questions
    - Definitions of some words
    - Entertaining at parties - she is the life of the party ;)

I'll probably use it for home automation later on but right now it's an essential part of my home setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

-Settling arguments with Miss Gunner rather than checking interweb.
    -Home Automation lights and Tv.
    -Spotify
    -TuneIn Radio
    -Morning Alarm... using Dot for this

-TuneIn Radio
    -Morning Alarm... using Dot for this

oh yeah forgot, I do both of these too... wonder when they will get TuneIn radio working with the alarm...

mrcheez wrote: »
    oh yeah forgot, I do both of these too... wonder when they will get TuneIn radio working with the alarm...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XT6WKD7/

if you like BBC radio...

degsie wrote: »

cool, but I listen to RTE radio in the morning, mainly for traffic/forecast etc... but BBC World Service for flash briefings in the evening.

At least that's some progress.

ctlsleh wrote: »

As in SETTINGS-ECHO DOT ONLINE- DEVICE LOCATION .
    When I go in here to set it it will prompt me to the address but then tell me it cant enter it .:confused::confused:

As in SETTINGS-ECHO DOT ONLINE- DEVICE LOCATION .
    When I go in here to set it it will prompt me to the address but then tell me it cant enter it .:confused::confused:

Because it's not officially supported here.

degsie wrote: »
    Because it's not officially supported here.

Yes , I heard you the first time degsie , but ctlsleh was advising me that he had managed to get his address in Ennis on the app I believe .

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes , I heard you the first time degsie , but ctlsleh was advising me that he had managed to get his address in Ennis on the app I believe .

I think it was possible in the past, but only Dublin addresses seem to be working now.

The reason being Dublin has postcodes which you put in the second field. And no unfortunately Eircodes don't work, I tried.

bk wrote: »
    I think it was possible in the past, but only Dublin addresses seem to be working now.

The reason being Dublin has postcodes which you put in the second field. And no unfortunately Eircodes don't work, I tried.

Bugger ! Can only get O'Connell Street to work . I've tried every street locally to no avail .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Reassigned mine to dot com to get some skills however now more available on the dot co. uk skills more appropriate to Europe.

If I reassign it back to UK do I have to set up skills again as have Hue and Harmony TV skills set up...

Can't save skills?

Advertisement