Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

bk wrote: »
    I think it was possible in the past, but only Dublin addresses seem to be working now.

The reason being Dublin has postcodes which you put in the second field. And no unfortunately Eircodes don't work, I tried.

i only purchased mine 2 weeks ago, i believe it got my address from my amazon account when i logged in and set it up under my existing amazon account login.......it shows up in the Home - Settings - Devices - General under Device Location - i am able to edit mine

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ctlsleh wrote: »
    i only purchased mine 2 weeks ago, i believe it got my address from my amazon account when i logged in and set it up under my existing amazon account login.......it shows up in the Home - Settings - Devices - General under Device Location - i am able to edit mine

Actually that would explain the discrepancy I see between the Echo I have and the newer Echo Dot.

The newer Echo Dot has exactly my address in it, including building name and apartment number.

The older purchased Echo (bought on release), I can't enter the same address as the Echo Dot has! Instead I can only enter a (Dublin) street address that is a few streets away.

In other words, I think why there is so much confusion, is because it can differ from device to device and how and when you bought it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

johnwoods wrote: »
    Yeah it's good.

I also noticed that asking Alexa "what's up" causes her to give me the time and then go to say "here's what's happening" then she just stops.

Any idea?

This seems to based on your location address for the echo. Change it to a valid UK address and it will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ecribs

podge3 wrote: »
    Use with Broadlink RM Pro to control lights and any device that uses a remote (RF and IR).

Having issues with this and my virgin media remote. Anyone else find similar issues?

Remote is for the TV and the Virgin media box! Tv part works fine! Anything to do with virgin media box isn't pick up at all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'm barely using this thing any more. What do you guys actually regularly use it for?

Music, timer, Wikipedia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

8-10 wrote: »
    Music, timer, Wikipedia
    Radio, timer, unit conversion, bus stop schedules, spotify. Basically a kitchen assistant. used atl of the time. Doesn't like to work at the same time as the microwave though!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

One feature I think is missing from the Echo is the ability to add a timer to a device.

So turn off the light in 20 minutes.

Shouldnt be too hard with timer and light control there already.

Im dabling at this stage with echo / automation and so far.

Echo Dot
    Reverb App on Android (works really well with the widget but scan for new devices must be on echo to work properly.)
    Philips Hue lights
    Cheap strip lights with TP Link Plug but looking at SONOFF
    Broadlink RM PRO for IR (TV and Satellite) and RF (for cheap RF sockets).
    Open HAB for rules (not bindings for TPLINK or Broadlink yet so thats a problem) - Takes learning

Plus all the spotify, tunein, weather stuff....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

dfdream wrote: »
    One feature I think is missing from the Echo is the ability to add a timer to a device.

Echo Dot
    Reverb App on Android (works really well with the widget but scan for new devices must be on echo to work properly.)
    Philips Hue lights
    Open HAB for rules (not bindings for TPLINK or Broadlink yet so thats a problem) - Takes learning

You could possibly create the skill yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭FrDougalMcguire

Echo Dot
    Philips Hue lights

If you are using the rm pro you could set up a remote on it with a 20min delay for the device. Only drawback here is you would need to setup separate remotes with different delay times if u wanted anything other than a 20 minute timer

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You can do that with Philips Hue lights and Yonomi app.

For instance I've a Yonomi routine set up to turn off all lights in the house over a period of 60 seconds and also turn off the TV, with just one command.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

Hi All

I received my Echo Dot via Parcel Motel this morning and I am just experimenting.

Funnily enough when I ask for the weather forecast it gives the the forecast in Newtownabbey. (i.e. Parcel Motel). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭arsebandit

I've just received mine via parcel motel .. Has anyone successfully set theirs up for Ireland? I have tried inputting my address (which shows up as a choice) but it won't set .. I've tried just random roads too .. again suggestions show up but won't set . Has anyone had any luck ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

It won't take it - you'll have to use just a Dublin address - that's all I could set it to, something like Dublin 20

deadl0ck wrote: »
    It won't take it - you'll have to use just a Dublin address - that's all I could set it to, something like Dublin 20

Crap ! I tried just my area (wexford ) but nope .. any idea what I should put in the post code ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

There are 2 boxes when you edit the location
    In the first box I have : 5 O'Connell Street Lower, Dublin, IE
    In the second box I have: 1

deadl0ck wrote: »
    There are 2 boxes when you edit the location
    In the first box I have : 5 O'Connell Street Lower, Dublin, IE
    In the second box I have: 1

Yes .. it accepted that . I'll keep trying for my local area . At least it does see Ireland as a location anyway !

Has anyone here managed to order food in Ireland? What's the best app/method to order?

ecribs wrote: »
    Has anyone here managed to order food in Ireland? What's the best app/method to order?

You mean via echo?

degsie wrote: »
    You mean via echo?

Yep ... and By apps I mean skills :)

ecribs wrote: »
    Yep ... and By apps I mean skills :)

Maybe try Just Eat skill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Anyone have trouble opening the Amazon Alexa Android App. Recently its taken ages to open. Tried to download latest update but no joy. Any tips for how to update it so that I have the latest version as cannot download from App store. Tried the google route but found one and it could not install?

I got it using APKpure.com. I this link will work.

Having major problems with the app. I can't open it and select any of the options ie skills etc. Using Android version. Just opens then circle spins goes to the home but can't select anything.

If I uninstall it and re install do I need to do all the skills again or does it work from your login?

Works from your login. What about just using the web address in a browser? alexa.amazon.co.uk

Works from your login. What about just using the web address in a browser? alexa.amazon.co.uk

That's worked. Logged in removed app then downloaded and re installed and seems ok now

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Anyone have any issues with alexa and a Vodafone router. Haven't been able to connect for two days. Did a factory reset twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Having issues with the weather readout for the past week.

ME: "Alexa, what's the weather like?"

ALEXA: "I'm not sure what went wrong"

anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Nope, just asked about the weather and it's working fine for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Nope, just asked about the weather and it's working fine for me.

Weird, maybe I should re-save my address in the app and see if any difference?

Haven't changed address from O'Connell St, Dublin since I set it up last year and weather has been working fine.

Advertisement