Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭boccy23

I find it good but use it almost exclusively as a Radio with Tunein and for music with Spotify.

I see all the other apps but I use my phone as it always at hand and easier than asking Alexa and not knowing what answer I may get! Especially when using Bing which is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

"Alexa what's the latest?" Is my number one use of Alexa to get a summary of BBC world service .

That and lying back in bed stretching out shouting out to play whatever songs enter my head as my mood changes. Within 30 mins I can go from Beethoven to Sepultura depending on how the mood takes me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    Is there any official support channel for Echo Dot & can we use it if based in Ireland?
    It's still not playing any music from my Spotify (family premium account) account, used to up until a few days ago. V annoying. It's set up and set as default music library.

Thanks,
    Pa.

Got it working with help of great Amazon support.
    Had to update Amazon setting to UK address.

I believe for the ease of picking music alone it's great value. Have it connected to 2 Bose speakers via Bluetooth so good stereo sound.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Thanks for all the replies.
    Newstalk working after following someone else's advice ie "newstalk" on tunein.
    FM 104 working if you Say FM 104 point 4 on tunein.
    Rte1 working if you do your best American bad Irish accent.
    Nova works if you just say alexa play radio nova.

I'm happy again!!!

So thanks for the help.

Is there any way to get Alexa to list your most recently created Spotify playlists?

For new albums I like I create a playlist. But I don't remember them all so if it could list them it'd be helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I've done a bit of research and just wondering if anyone had managed it. Can you have multiple Spotify accounts assigned to Alexa? I have dots in different roomsz and if someone downstairs is playing music and I want to play music upstairs, it stops the first as it's the same Spotify account

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

You can have two separate profiles (Amazon household under settings) and each account can have a separate Spotify associated with it. So a max of two it currently is.

What's the best online resource for posting questions about features etc.? I thought Amazon would have an official Twitter account for that but can't find any.

Can Alexa list all your skills?

This does look great- Run Google Assistant on Your Amazon Echo. It's annoying that Alexa isn't good at general searches.

Or a step-by-step video for Alexa Google search

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ecribs

What's the best online resource for posting questions about features etc.? I thought Amazon would have an official Twitter account for that but can't find any.

Can Alexa list all your skills?

This does look great- Run Google Assistant on Your Amazon Echo. It's annoying that Alexa isn't good at general searches.

This facebook site has a lot of updates and tricks. It's very helpful if you have any questions https://www.facebook.com/groups/alexafansuk/

Some of the options available are only UK details but it is still very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

I installed the Google Assistant skill onto my Echos and it has improved it no end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

davo2001 wrote: »
    I installed the Google Assistant skill onto my Echos and it has improved it no end.

Is that for the US version?
    Mine is linked to UK, and I can't find that skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Is that for the US version?
    Mine is linked to UK, and I can't find that skill.

You need to set it up and install it yourself. Toke around 20 mins to get it installed but works well.

https://www.hackster.io/tartanguru/run-google-assistant-on-your-amazon-echo-d99235

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭padski08

Struggling to get the my Bord Gais Hive system set up with my Echo. I have searched in the Skills set and only 1 Hive skill (Hive - Optimized for Smart Home) is showing (instead of 2)
    This means that the skill "Hive" cannot be enabled and my Hive devices are not found
    Ive tried a few things from reading online, included changing my address to UK address and no luck

Any advise appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

I'm using "Hive - Optimized for Smart Home" and it's working fine

Have you enabled the skill & signed in?
    Is the Hive working from your smart phone with the same login?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭padski08

frash wrote: »
    I'm using "Hive - Optimized for Smart Home" and it's working fine

Have you enabled the skill & signed in?
    Is the Hive working from your smart phone with the same login?

I have enabled the skill and signed in and yes Hive is working on my phone also
    I've contacted the Hive support for help, so hoping for some good news

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Ok Alexa is taking the P:angry:

I use TuneIn to play radio station every morning. The radio station is CDNX. So this morning usually routine I ask Alexa play CDNX on Tunein and the reply was ‘ I cannot play this artist on TuneIn’ WTF…tried CDNX radio, CDNX Indie and still no joy. Same issue on the Dot!!

I thought she was supposed to be like a child and listen and learn but seems she is getting Amnesia?

Can anyone else try playing this station?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Ok Alexa is taking the P:angry:

I use TuneIn to play radio station every morning. The radio station is CDNX. So this morning usually routine I ask Alexa play CDNX on Tunein and the reply was ‘ I cannot play this artist on TuneIn’ WTF…tried CDNX radio, CDNX Indie and still no joy. Same issue on the Dot!!

I thought she was supposed to be like a child and listen and learn but seems she is getting Amnesia?

Can anyone else try playing this station?

Ha! Found the same problem with RTE 1. We need a skill to bitch-slap Alexa from time to time.

Have "accidentally" discovered some amazing TuneIn stations due to Alexa misunderstandings though including a random one from a small town in Quebec

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Tunein has similar issues on GHome, so I say it is a Tunein issue rather then an Alexa problem.

Here is a tip if you listen to the same radio statino every day.

- First find and play the radio station via the alexa app
    - Next day, say to Alexa "Resume tunein"

This should make it play the same station every day and avoid this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

bk wrote: »
    Tunein has similar issues on GHome, so I say it is a Tunein issue rather then an Alexa problem.

Here is a tip if you listen to the same radio statino every day.

- First find and play the radio station via the alexa app
    - Next day, say to Alexa "Resume tunein"

This should make it play the same station every day and avoid this issue.
    Ok looks like I might just have to select it from the Alexa app.
    I normally do say last or resume and then I get Bl**dy Ed Sheeran playing on Yesterday FM as Miss Gunner been listening to it:angry:

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭superd1978

Folks can anyone advise how I can get the app from the App Store?

Obviously not available in Ireland.

I browse to Alexa.amazon.com or .co.uk and I get redirected back to Ireland all the time, so effectively just going around in a loop.

Has anyone a detailed resource for how I can set up this thing!?

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Buttros

superd1978 wrote: »
    Folks can anyone advise how I can get the app from the App Store?

Obviously not available in Ireland.

I browse to Alexa.amazon.com or .co.uk and I get redirected back to Ireland all the time, so effectively just going around in a loop.

Has anyone a detailed resource for how I can set up this thing!?

Cheers.

You need to download and install the APK. The software itself.i downloaded from here yesterday

http://www.apkmonk.com/app/com.amazon.dee.app/

You may need to change settings on your phone to allow these.
    Granted haven't tried the app.... Still waiting for the echo to arrive.

Buttros wrote: »
    You need to download and install the APK. The software itself.i downloaded from here yesterday

http://www.apkmonk.com/app/com.amazon.dee.app/

You may need to change settings on your phone to allow these.
    Granted haven't tried the app.... Still waiting for the echo to arrive.
    Thanks mate. I'm an iPhone user, I assume that's an android link?
    Plus it's a company phone so can't do any jail breaking etc....

Sorted. Just used that URL from my laptop to do the initial setup. No app required.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 robfitz987

Having trouble with the ios app, every time I try log in it reloads and brings me back to the same page, anyone experience the same issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭meelick

So as of July 2017, are people able to play Prime Music and Amazon Music Unlimited using their Echo? I just got one, and can't get an address set to an Irish address or play any kind of Music. 
    I got the ios app by setting up a Revolut account with a UK address. That got me a virtual UK credit card. Then I switched my iTtunes account to the UK, using the UK Credit card. Got the Alexa App (and the Amazon Music App, bonus), and switched it back to Ireland again. Apps still present and working fine. 
    So, then on to the Echo. Boots fine, connects to WiFi fine, I can register with my account fine. However, it can't find any music. Amazon Music region on my Amazon.co.uk account is set to UK. Default CC is the UK one. I've reset the Echo several times. But I can only set UK addresses, but still no access to music. I've signed up for a trial of Unlimited, but still no joy. 
    Any tips?

Using the "Request Maker" plugin for chrome, I inspected the traffic from the Alexa web app to the Amazon servers. I found a couple of interesting responses.

https://pitangui.amazon.com/api/get-customer-pfm......... gave me
    {"countryOfResidence":"IE","effectiveMarketPlaceId":"______________","marketPlaceDomainName":"https://www.amazon.co.uk","marketPlaceId":"______________","marketPlaceLocale":"en-GB"}

https://pitangui.amazon.com/api/amazon-music-benefits...... gave me
    {"primeMusicBrowseable":false,"primeMusicContentAccessible":false,"primeMusicTestBrowseAndAddable":false,"primeMusicTestPlaybackAccessible":false}

So my country is IE.
    So I needed to change the Country setting in my account (it's well hidden)
    Your Account -> Your Account -> Content and Devices.

Pick the third tab over (Three tabs are Your Content, Your Devices, Settings), called Settings.
    Second section down allows to change Country. I choose my Parcel Motel address.

Re-running the queries now shows
    {"countryOfResidence":"GB","effectiveMarketPlaceId":"______________","marketPlaceDomainName":"https://www.amazon.co.uk","marketPlaceId":"______________","marketPlaceLocale":"en-GB"}
    and
    {"primeMusicBrowseable":true,"primeMusicContentAccessible":true,"primeMusicTestBrowseAndAddable":true,"primeMusicTestPlaybackAccessible":true}

So all good now.

Hope this helps someone! :)

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

meelick wrote: »
    So as of July 2017, are people able to play Prime Music and Amazon Music Unlimited using their Echo? I just got one, and can't get an address set to an Irish address or play any kind of Music. 
    I got the ios app by setting up a Revolut account with a UK address. That got me a virtual UK credit card. Then I switched my iTtunes account to the UK, using the UK Credit card. Got the Alexa App (and the Amazon Music App, bonus), and switched it back to Ireland again. Apps still present and working fine. 
    So, then on to the Echo. Boots fine, connects to WiFi fine, I can register with my account fine. However, it can't find any music. Amazon Music region on my Amazon.co.uk account is set to UK. Default CC is the UK one. I've reset the Echo several times. But I can only set UK addresses, but still no access to music. I've signed up for a trial of Unlimited, but still no joy. 
    Any tips?

You're not using a vpn? Revolut + VPN is required, I'm pretty sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

alexa google assistant worked fine for couple of days. suddenly alexa says no skill found for google assistant.
    anyone having same issue?

You're not using a vpn? Revolut + VPN is required, I'm pretty sure

No, I didn't need to use a use a VPN at any stage in the process...

Rgds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

Wow..very impressed with your post. Just waiting on revolut to review my ID and will follow your instructions.

Is there an app for prime music?

Many thanks

Advertisement