Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭meelick

Wow..very impressed with your post. Just waiting on revolut to review my ID and will follow your instructions.

Is there an app for prime music?
    There is indeed. It's called "Amazon Music". Again, if you're on iTunes, you need to temporarily change your iTunes account to the UK iTunes store (using your brand new new Revolut virtual card), download Amazon Music (and Amazon Alexa while you're at it), then you can switch your iTunes account back to the Irish store. The apps will remain on your device after the switch-back. Not sure about Android.
    Oh, and the Revolut approval should take about 10 minutes (during working hours).

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭dercunx

Hello, I just purchased an Aamazon Echo Dot and it's working well so far. Only problem I have at the moment is entering an Irish address. I have read from posts online that entering an Irish address as been successful before, do you know how I can do this or has Amazon disabled this feature? TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭meelick

dercunx wrote: »
    Hello, I just purchased an Aamazon Echo Dot and it's working well so far. Only problem I have at the moment is entering an Irish address. I have read from posts online that entering an Irish address as been successful before, do you know how I can do this or has Amazon disabled this feature? TIA.

I've got everything working EXCEPT entering an Irish address. Amazon Music, controlling water pumps, reading temperature sensors, loads of stuff. But can I enter an Irish address? Nope. :)

Regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Started playing with mine, how do i setup an Irish address?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

The Only address that would work for me was O Connell Street, Dublin, IE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

I am sure its been asked before but I want to change my settings from .com to .co.uk as more skills coming on board. However I have a few skills set up already. The most important is Harmony (to control TV) Netatmo(to control heating) TP Link (plugs) Once reset I have to go through the whole process of setting up the skills again for these which is a Pain in the A.... or is there another way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

I am sure its been asked before but I want to change my settings from .com to .co.uk as more skills coming on board. However I have a few skills set up already. The most important is Harmony (to control TV) Netatmo(to control heating) TP Link (plugs) Once reset I have to go through the whole process of setting up the skills again for these which is a Pain in the A.... or is there another way?

I changed mine yesterday to .co.uk and all the skills still worked for me, Harmony, Netatmo, & Hue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

GristlyEnd wrote: »

I changed mine yesterday to .co.uk and all the skills still worked for me, Harmony, Netatmo, & Hue.
    ok will check with them via Chat as last time I changed I had to reset all the skills up again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭niallb

Be careful changing address if you use an Amazon family account.
    I received a mail after the event that I had left the family home and my wife and kids no longer had access to my shared library...

It was a real pain to get it switched back, and they made me feel like they were really doing me a favour which would not be repeated!
    There was no warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

Hi guys

What is currently the best way to get the Echo app for iphone ?

Thanks !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

trellheim wrote: »
    Hi guys

What is currently the best way to get the Echo app for iphone ?

Thanks !

Open a UK iTunes/App Store account.

It wont let me without a CC ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Hi Lads just seen the alexa voice calling and intercom skill is available in the U.S and I am using a UK account is it as easy as switching to a U.S account and bobs your uncle?

Really looking forward to the intercom skill as I have three dots around the home.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭tanka006

Hi Guys,

Ive purchased one of these & i just cant get it setup - please advise.....

on my ios ive changed the region from Ireland to UK & then googled the app - but when i try to download it - it informs me that my account with apps store is in Ireland & transfers me there - but there is no alexa app availiable there.

Next i tried to set up a new itunes account based in UK - but it wants my credit card details which ive given it only to be rejected as its not a UK card

Can anyone advise?

Many Thanks

tanka006 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Ive purchased one of these & i just cant get it setup - please advise.....

on my ios ive changed the region from Ireland to UK & then googled the app - but when i try to download it - it informs me that my account with apps store is in Ireland & transfers me there - but there is no alexa app availiable there.

Next i tried to set up a new itunes account based in UK - but it wants my credit card details which ive given it only to be rejected as its not a UK card

Can anyone advise?

Many Thanks
    I think you've to set up the account on a PC or Mac for it to offer the option of no card details then you log into that account on the phone to download the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭tanka006

iamtony

thank you for the prompt reply.

I did try the new itunes account setup on the PC - but wanted the CC details & when i did give them it kned it was an irish CC from the billing address?

Tanka

tanka006 wrote: »
    iamtony

thank you for the prompt reply.

I did try the new itunes account setup on the PC - but wanted the CC details & when i did give them it kned it was an irish CC from the billing address?

Tanka
    Did you try using a UK address? And maybe they you will get the option to select none as a payment method. It's in their somewhere I haven't had to do it in a long time but I assure you it can be done. Sorry if I can't be more help to you. Here's a northern Irish postcode off the top of my head to use a random UK address. BTW 4ET stick that into Google maps and you'll get the address.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Lads Google how to set up a free UK account. It's been post on here numerous times I'm sure.

You don't even need the app anyway. You can use the website.

for ios ok the only way to do it is to use an email address to create a new ID in the App Store ( not itunes ) , base it in the UK and then select None as the method of payment. As long as its not a spaminator source email then you can use that to get it.

What a resounding pain in the absolute hole for a free app .

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭garbeth

To create an account log out of your existing account select any free app select create new account. Base it in the U.K. and then select none under payment. Then select yes to transfer store then download Alexa app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I got an Alexa there yesterday.
    I set it up and was playing with it. Asked it the weather and she says it was cloudy in Newtownabbey...

Had to double check my address but it seems it's defaulted to my parcel motel address, and ignored the Irish ones. So that might be an idea.

Also, wtf do I do with this thing? I've neither an amazon prime/music account nor Spotify premium, and I've no home automation devices. Starting to get buyers remorse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

She's a good timer. Install bigsky skill for weather. Good for radio too. Get spotify with your "family" and it's €30 a year each. If you are feeling adventurous, you can try install the google home skill https://github.com/tartanguru/alexa-assistant
    I also have it controlling a wifi plug.
    That's all I use my echo dot for but I feel I got my monies worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I got an Alexa there yesterday.
    I set it up and was playing with it. Asked it the weather and she says it was cloudy in Newtownabbey...

Had to double check my address but it seems it's defaulted to my parcel motel address, and ignored the Irish ones. So that might be an idea.

Also, wtf do I do with this thing? I've neither an amazon prime/music account nor Spotify premium, and I've no home automation devices. Starting to get buyers remorse.

She'll have been auto set up with the address connected to your Amazon account, hence Newtonabbey.

It can play the radio for you off TuneIn and do some things like alarms etc

Did you buy the Echo or the Echo Dot?

I got the Echo. My sister got one for Xmas but she's in England and has a prime account so we mostly used the music features, which I found really good. I can't for the life of me get the thing to play a radio station off TuneIn. It must be the thick Dublin accent! Am I better off leaving it with the UK address, feature wise? I'm sure there's stuff locked out for us RoI residents that are enabled in the UK and US?

I'm big into hacking the software on any piece of technology I own, so I like the idea of hacking the Google Assistant onto it. I've just finished building a raspberry pi Google Assistant there. I don't suppose there's a "hacking" scene for this thing, similar to the stuff people do with Android phones? Coz it would be perfect if I could hook upthe thousands of songs I have on Google Play Music to it.

Other than that, living in an apartment, is there any basic home automation things I can get? If I ever manage to afford a house, I'll be kitting the place out from head to tow with automation and IoT, but until then, I'd like to just dip the toe in.

You can't play Play Music through Google Assistant. No real advantage to adding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

You can't play Play Music through Google Assistant. No real advantage to adding it.

You could just use the echo as a bluetooth speaker for an android device and play your Google music that way.

degsie wrote: »
    You could just use the echo as a bluetooth speaker for an android device and play your Google music that way.

For the 150 sterling the Echo costs you'd be better off just buying a far better BT speaker if that's about the extent of what you'd do with it.

I already have a decent bluetooth speaker. But I actually find the Echo to be a decent speaker in itself.

I'm looking at that intercom functionality there now actually. That looks promising. I'll try add my sister and see if I can call her. Should I ask if its been enabled this side of the atlantic yet?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Other than that, living in an apartment, is there any basic home automation things I can get? If I ever manage to afford a house, I'll be kitting the place out from head to tow with automation and IoT, but until then, I'd like to just dip the toe in.

I assume you are renting. Even if you are there are still a bunch of things you could do, which would still allow you to take them with you when you leave.

Depending on how the gas boiler works, you could install a smart thermostat. Just keep the old one and put it back on when leaving.

You could install Philips Hue lights. Again just keep the old lights and put them back up when you leave.

Various smart plugs, security cameras, wireless sensors. All are temporary and you could take with you later for your new place.

Would help with giving you an idea of what you might want when you do get your own place.

Now that I think of it, despite having my own place and having bought lots of home automation toys, I could take everything with me if I ever moved. It is all fairly portable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

I've been testing the SONOS and Amazon echo/dot beta 7.4 integration. Basically, it doesn't work, you can turn the volume up and down, thats the only thing that works.

Spotify is currently not supported (only pandora (who uses this!?!) and amazon prime)).

If i say "Alexa, play todayfm on Tunein in the Kitchen, it will acknoweldge what you say and then just do nothing. It has been acknowledged as an issues on the sonos beta forums.

The whole project acts like an Alpha not a beta and looks months from being ready for general release.

It's a pity as this "coming soon" feature was the main reason why I bought it.

Advertisement