Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

davo2001 wrote: »
    I've been testing the SONOS and Amazon echo/dot beta 7.4 integration. Basically, it doesn't work, you can turn the volume up and down, thats the only thing that works.

Spotify is currently not supported (only pandora (who uses this!?!) and amazon prime)).

If i say "Alexa, play todayfm on Tunein in the Kitchen, it will acknoweldge what you say and then just do nothing. It has been acknowledged as an issues on the sonos beta forums.

The whole project acts like an Alpha not a beta and looks months from being ready for general release.

It's a pity as this "coming soon" feature was the main reason why I bought it.

Any update on the release of a Skill for Bose soundtouch.
    We were promised it in January and now we're into August and they still have the cheek to sell Echo and Soundtouch bundles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

iamtony wrote: »
    Hi Lads just seen the alexa voice calling and intercom skill is available in the U.S and I am using a UK account is it as easy as switching to a U.S account and bobs your uncle?

Really looking forward to the intercom skill as I have three dots around the home.

anyone got any advice on this ? would love to have calls patched through Alexa

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Was looking at the below so can bring Echo outside as did not want to get a Bluetooth speaker
    https://www.firebox.com/Vaux-for-Amazon-Echo-Dot/p8241
    Anyone have one of these or something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

Hi all
    Just back from 2 weeks hols, everything powered off during this time. Alexa has no skills enabled do I have to reset Spotify, Hue, Kasa etc. ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

duffer247 wrote: »
    Hi all
    Just back from 2 weeks hols, everything powered off during this time. Alexa has no skills enabled do I have to reset Spotify, Hue, Kasa etc. ?

Did you power off the freezer and house alarm as well? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

degsie wrote: »
    Did you power off the freezer and house alarm as well? :P

I was wondering what the pool of water was from...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Suckler

Having issues downloading the alexa app in itunes. Itunes wants me to change country but then when I try that Itunes match is blocking it??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Suckler wrote: »
    Having issues downloading the alexa app in itunes. Itunes wants me to change country but then when I try that Itunes match is blocking it??

You need to go back to the start of this thread and read through.
    You need to get the APK(or the equivalent for iphone , ipa I think ) and sign in to amazon using .com or .co.uk, each carrying their own local skill sets etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

You need to go back to the start of this thread and read through.
    You need to get the APK and sign in to amazon using .com or .co.uk, each carrying their own local skill sets etc.

Thought apk's are Android only?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Struggling to get newstalk, getting some Nigerian 93.5 newstalk instead, having to select the right newstalk from TuneIn, what a pain ....!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

"newstalk fm"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

I'm liking the newstalk alternatives. Today I learned about coconut farming in Jamaica.

Newstalk fm doesn't work for me either.......I need to say 'play newstalk ireland on TuneIn' now

If I just ask to play news talk ireland, I get newsflash.....doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

New stalk always worked until recently. Now I also get the Jamaica version.

Seriously how is there not more talk about the drop in and voice calling skill. People are able to get it in the UK now but I can't get it. I've updated to the latest version of the alexa apk on android but nothing. Has anyone had any luck?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mcofferon

Hi
    I've a first gen Amazon Fire TV stick and am new to the Echo and Alexa.
    I see articles saying Alexa can now control the Fire TV. My stick is running the latest software (5.2.4.1) and is registered to the same account as my Echo. On the same wifi net etc.

Alas Alexa can't find the fire stick when I try commands but it does show up on my Alexa app under "Music & Books".

Any thoughts??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

My six year old daughter just rang me on my mobile at work from the Echo Dot at home!

I didn't even know this was possible, I just thought you could call other Echos?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

My six year old daughter just rang me on my mobile at work from the Echo Dot at home!

I didn't even know this was possible, I just thought you could call other Echos?

You can call echos from your mobile through the app and/or vise versa. I think I read it works one way and not the other.
    I'm jealous! I've done lots of different things to activate it but nothing is working for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

So I have joined the Alexa club!!
    I won a prize in work and I believed it to be a regular Bluetooth speaker but lo and behold an Amazon Tap arrived last week in the post

I am not sure if anyone else has the Tap but below are my first impressions.

• Great sound quality (not as good as some €100 speakers but its decent enough – on a par with my €40 Anker Bluetooth speaker)
    • Battery lasts about 4 ½ to 5 hours playing music – a little less if you are constantly asking it questions
    • The wireless charging dock is very stylish and is well built
    • The voice recognition is good – can be a bit patchy depending on where you have put the unit down e.g. if you put it down in the corner of a room within a few inches of walls etc then she seems not to pick up your voice so well
    • You can’t connect it to another Bluetooth speaker (unlike Echo and Dot) you can however connect a phone, tablet etc to the speaker. So really it only accepts Bluetooth connections and will not stream music etc via Bluetooth to another speaker
    • The cloth type covering on the unit can pick up grubby kids mess (as I have found out with all sorts stuck to it from kids hands – playdoh, food and other things) however its easily wiped clean

I have a few observations based on reading this whole thread

• I downloaded the Alexa app through the Amazon App store – the App store is on my phone and automatically updates apps so no need to mess with dodgy sites for the APK files (this is Android of course)
    • Wife has iPhone so just uses browser (alexa.amazon.co.uk)
    • There are way too many Skills to remember – it would be good to get some way to interact more naturally with it instead of having to say ‘Alexa Open xxxxx’ etc as I cant remember yesterday never mind the name of a Skill
    • General questions to Alexa fail about 40% of the time when she replies ‘I don’t know how to help with that’ etc – I will try load up the Google trick and see if that’s any good
    • Spotify is great but again its hard to pick a play list unless you have the name spot on e.g. I say ‘Alexa – play soft rock classics’ she always tells me there is no playlist by that name when in fact there is a playlist by that name in Spotify.

Another question I have for long time users

Is it wise to set up a ‘Family’ Amazon account rather than using my account? Essentially just a shell of an account with basic info and nobody will really use it to purchase anything etc.
    I say this because I think it would be best to associate Alexa with a singular account if everyone in the house is going to use it. Also if I open a new Amazon account and give it my real Irish address then Alexa may pick this up instead of my Parcel Wizard address that she defaults to with my current Amazon account

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Anyone know if there are issues using your Amazon.co.uk-purchased Echo Dot abroad in places like Spain / Malta?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

mrcheez wrote: »
    Anyone know if there are issues using your Amazon.co.uk-purchased Echo Dot abroad in places like Spain / Malta?

Should work fine, just as it does in Ireland, given that we are unofficially using it too.

The usual caveats about things like directions not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Anyone have Spotify premium with Vodafone and Alexa doesnt recognise the account as being premium when you link it???

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

peteb2 wrote: »
    Anyone have Spotify premium with Vodafone and Alexa doesnt recognise the account as being premium when you link it???

I have Spotify premium with Vodafone, but it works fine with the Echo Dot for me.

Problems with Amazon Fire Tv Stick (1st gen) and Alexa

Hi All

Had a good look at these links and I'm probably missing something? It confirms that my fire tv stick should work with Alexa.

I'd assume it was a compatibility problem if it weren't for that fact that the TV stick appears on my Alexa app (android) as does my Echo but they don't communicate. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong myself but if anyone else has this setup perhaps they could steer me in the right direction.

ECHO ON SALE

Amazon UK have the Echo for £99.95 for the Bank Holiday weekend for those considering one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭niallb

Mcofferon wrote: »
    Problems with Amazon Fire Tv Stick (1st gen) and Alexa...
    ... if anyone else has this setup perhaps they could steer me in the right direction.
    I have a 1st gen firestick and it does work with Alexa. I can turn off the kitchen lights from the bedroom with it.
    I did however buy a voice remote for it, and that may be the difference.
    I just press the mic button instead of saying the command word and then speak the command I'd normally use in the kitchen where the echo dot lives.

How do you do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭893bet

Question.....probably a stupid one....

If I buy an Amazon dot....and link it to my Spotify...... do I need to be present with my phone and the app for it to work or will my wife be able to access Spotify when I am not there through the dot and the house wifi?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

893bet wrote: »
    Question.....probably a stupid one....

If I buy an Amazon dot....and link it to my Spotify...... do I need to be present with my phone and the app for it to work or will my wife be able to access Spotify when I am not there through the dot and the house wifi?

Your wife can use it without needing your phone but unless you have a family spotify account you can only use one device at a time so you won't be able to use at same time.

Advertisement