Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

893bet wrote: »
    Question.....probably a stupid one....

If I buy an Amazon dot....and link it to my Spotify...... do I need to be present with my phone and the app for it to work or will my wife be able to access Spotify when I am not there through the dot and the house wifi?

No need to be there with the phone. The dot will connect to Spotify directly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭893bet

368100 wrote: »
    Your wife can use it without needing your phone but unless you have a family spotify account you can only use one device at a time so you won't be able to use at same time.

I haven't signed up yet so now is the time to fix these details.

If we had a single account and started using it in my car it would kick my wife off the dot at home so?

If we go premium with an account each can both of us be linked to the dot? how does the dot know which account it should be playing from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

I haven't signed up yet so now is the time to fix these details.

If we had a single account and started using it in my car it would kick my wife off the dot at home so?

If we go premium with an account each can both of us be linked to the dot? how does the dot know which account it should be playing from?

Yeah if you had a single account one of you would be kicked off. I'm normally sure multiple accounts are possible on the echo from what i read, maybe somebody else can confirm?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If you both decide to get two premium accounts, then best to go Spotify Family, it gives you up to 6 premium accounts for just €15, rather then say €20 it would cost to get two separate.

I haven't played with it yet, but yes I do believe Alexa supports multiple user accounts, however I don't think this feature is as slick as it is on GHome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

ctlsleh wrote: »
    How do you do that?

you can call/message other alexas or phones with the alexa app.

i haven't tried it yet but 'ol bendy nose makes it look easy

note: you'll have to set up all your skills again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭gartcork

The latest update to the Echo dot 584298020 now lets you enter your own Irish Address. Great for local weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

donegal. wrote: »
    you can call/message other alexas or phones with the alexa app.

i haven't tried it yet but 'ol bendy nose makes it look easy

note: you'll have to set up all your skills again
    This worked a treat thank you!!! Can now use the intercom function around the house which is fun. No more shouting to the misses if she wants a cup of tea anymore:-)
    So simple in the end. I tried everything else before this with no success.
    P. S all my skills are still enabled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

gartcork wrote: »
    The latest update to the Echo dot 584298020 now lets you enter your own Irish Address. Great for local weather!

It keeps telling me it can't add my address and make sure I've added a correct full address.

It keeps telling me it can't add my address and make sure I've added a correct full address.

Has your echo dot updated to the latest software 584298020?

Has your echo dot updated to the latest software 584298020?

Ya it's on that version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

Same here. I enter my home address but it won't save it.

I am on the latest firmware.

Ya it's on that version.

That's strange. I did have my own address connected to an Amazon fire stick before my dots were updated so maybe that kicked it in. I have 3 dots in the house and they all have my Cork address on them now! I'm not sure why it won't work for you.

That's strange. I did have my own address connected to an Amazon fire stick before my dots were updated so maybe that kicked it in. I have 3 dots in the house and they all have my Cork address on them now! I'm not sure why it won't work for you.

Local address:

Better picture

Better picture

Can you please post a pic of what you see when you click edit, there's two fields in mine the top one has O'Connell Street and the bottom one has 1,
    Is that supposed to be the eircode?

I removed some of my address for obvious reasons. I used my own eircode and it saved immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Alexa app is available on the Irish play store now too. Just installed it there. Testing the address thing.

EDIT: Doesn't show up in search but I can install when I go directly to the app;
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amazon.dee.app&hl=en

EDIT 2: Address accepted. I guess make sure you have the most up to date app.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Indeed , since last update my address is working . :D:D

d31b0y wrote: »
    Alexa app is available on the Irish play store now too. Just installed it there. Testing the address thing.

EDIT: Doesn't show up in search but I can install when I go directly to the app;
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amazon.dee.app&hl=en

EDIT 2: Address accepted. I guess make sure you have the most up to date app.

Well I'm shït out of luck anyway on both counts. It's coming up as not available in my country and I've downloaded the latest APK but I don't have those fields in my address settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Well I'm shït out of luck anyway on both counts. It's coming up as not available in my country and I've downloaded the latest APK but I don't have those fields in my address settings.

Looks like you need the most up to date app or maybe try alexa.amazon.co.uk

The only way to get the most up to date Alexa app for sure on Android is through Amazon App store see here https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201357510

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

I downloaded an apk from this site and it now seems to work for me.

http://www.apkmonk.com/app/com.amazon.dee.app/

I was able to select Ireland and then enter my address in Drogheda.

I have only tried asking for weather forecast so far but it seems to know about Drogheda!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

So, yes using alexa.amazon.co.uk I'm now able to set my exact address.

However it doesn't seem to make much difference, when I ask "what is the weather like?" it says it can't find weather for the location. I have to specify Dublin in the request! I assume this is the same for everyone else?

bk wrote: »

However it doesn't seem to make much difference, when I ask "what is the weather like?" it says it can't find weather for the location. I have to specify Dublin in the request! I assume this is the same for everyone else?

I get the weather for my exact location, in Co. Cork. Also, it seems to be very accurate so far.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

No , I'm getting weather for exact location.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I'm in the middle of nowhere and it works for me also. I also used my eircode - maybe that made a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

Newstalk (which always worked for me) doesn't work since I set my correct address:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

iamtony wrote: »
    This worked a treat thank you!!! Can now use the intercom function around the house which is fun. No more shouting to the misses if she wants a cup of tea anymore:-)
    So simple in the end. I tried everything else before this with no success.
    P. S all my skills are still enabled
    All my skill disappeared soon after typing that sorry.
    My light situation is a mess. Can't remember what all the different bulbs were called and the hue account is in my missus email and we're not really today talking so I can't sort it:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Been playing around with setting my address.

Had to look at Bing Maps to see how an address near me was stated.

So:

Street Address
    Waterford
    Waterford
    IE (not a field i filled in, taken from the Ireland selection as Country)
    Eircode (doubt it is being used but had to input something into the field)

Don't know if it is looking at County Waterford or Waterford City yet, but it beats being in O'Connell Street :p

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Been playing around with setting my address.

Had to look at Bing Maps to see how an address near me was stated.

So:

Street Address
    Waterford
    Waterford
    IE (not a field i filled in, taken from the Ireland selection as Country)
    Eircode (doubt it is being used but had to input something into the field)

Don't know if it is looking at County Waterford or Waterford City yet, but it beats being in O'Connell Street :p

I don't know what's wrong with mine I don't have that many fields only 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Mine has 4 fields and the country drop down;

Country drop down
    Your Street address
    City
    State/Province/Region
    Zip Code

Advertisement