Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

d31b0y wrote: »
    Mine has 4 fields and the country drop down;

Country drop down
    Your Street address
    City
    State/Province/Region
    Zip Code

And that's after you select settings then your dot or your echo then edit location?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Yup, exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

iamtony wrote: »
    All my skill disappeared soon after typing that sorry.
    My light situation is a mess. Can't remember what all the different bulbs were called and the hue account is in my missus email and we're not really today talking so I can't sort it:-)

I named my bulbs so I could figure out which ones were which so it'd be easier when adding to rooms etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I named my bulbs so I could figure out which ones were which so it'd be easier when adding to rooms etc.

Yeah I wasn't that smart:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭paulbok

Those of you who have gotten the messaging to work, have you tried multi-room playback?

Apparently it is available but I'd guess like everything its only in the US.

http://www.redmondpie.com/amazon-announces-multi-room-audio-support-for-echo-devices/

• Advertisement

paulbok wrote: »
    Those of you who have gotten the messaging to work, have you tried multi-room playback?

Apparently it is available but I'd guess like everything its only in the US.

http://www.redmondpie.com/amazon-announces-multi-room-audio-support-for-echo-devices/
    I havent as it's Amazon music unlimited only and I'm Spotify at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭paulbok

TuneIn supposedly works as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭coley

TuneIn worked fine for me, Alexa explicitly says she cannot play spotifty on group audio and plays on the device listening to your command.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Anybody else notice that flash briefing announcements between segments is much louder than the actual briefings on the dot with Bluetooth speaker attached?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Has any else been able to successfully update there work address for traffic reports?

I can now (like most people) set my correct home address but still cannot set my correct work address (under settings -> Traffic -> "To") on alexa.amazon.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

coley wrote: »
    TuneIn worked fine for me, Alexa explicitly says she cannot play spotifty on group audio and plays on the device listening to your command.

Tune in worked for me but disconnected my dot from the bluetooth speaker I have it connected to and reverted to the internal speaker only. Anyone else have similar experience

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭coley

from https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202108910
    However, Multi-Room Music does not support:

3rd party Alexa devices
    Non-music content such as Flash Briefings or books
    Any Bluetooth connections whilst streaming, such as to external speakers Wired connections to external speakers (i.e. from the Amazon Echo Dot) will not be affected.
    Fast-forward and Rewind re not supported during group playback
    If you are using Amazon Music Unlimited, please be aware that if you are streaming on any other device, you'll not be able to stream via Alexa at the same time unless you have a Family Plan subscription. Prime Music is also limited to one stream (to a device or a Multi-Room Music group) at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Having a lot of trouble with TuneIn lately. I have favourites saved on the app and it wont play any of the RTE stations (sometimes a good thing)
    Is there any other alternative other than TuneIn. I listen to a lot of UK stations and in particular one CDNX(which I have saved in Favourites) . However when I ask Alexa to play this I get 'We cannot play this artist' or something along these lines?
    Also have alarm set up on Dot and right beside the bed and its usually just a shout at it to Stop and not loudly. However now I have to pick it up and literally shout into it to stop but yet when I come into the room and ask it to turn on the Hue lights no issue just with turning off alarms?

Having a lot of trouble with TuneIn lately. I have favourites saved on the app and it wont play any of the RTE stations (sometimes a good thing)
    Is there any other alternative other than TuneIn. I listen to a lot of UK stations and in particular one CDNX(which I have saved in Favourites) . However when I ask Alexa to play this I get 'We cannot play this artist' or something along these lines?

If it's saying something about an artist, I would imagine it doesn't know it's a radio station. Are you specificying "Play xyz on TuneIn"?
    Also have alarm set up on Dot and right beside the bed and its usually just a shout at it to Stop and not loudly. However now I have to pick it up and literally shout into it to stop but yet when I come into the room and ask it to turn on the Hue lights no issue just with turning off alarms?

Have you moved it recently? I believe the microphone can sometimes have issues if the dot is situated to close to a wall?
    i.e. the alarm is being picked up by the mic due to sound waves bouncing off the wall and drowning out your voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

If it's saying something about an artist, I would imagine it doesn't know it's a radio station. Are you specificying "Play xyz on TuneIn"?

Have you moved it recently? I believe the microphone can sometimes have issues if the dot is situated to close to a wall?
    i.e. the alarm is being picked up by the mic due to sound waves bouncing off the wall and drowning out your voice.
    Yes doing the standard procedure 'Alexa play RTE 2 FM on TuneIn' and then silence and same for RTE gold or whatever. Click on favourites in the app and they wont play either. Same goes for Alexa play CDNX  on TuneIn' and get cannot play by artist?
    Have not moved the DOT was working ok and it can pick up voice controls when turning off lights but just not for turning off the Alarm??

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭tanka006

You are not alone with this problem - exactly the same here with Tune in radio

I will follow this topic with interest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Just Tried RTE Radio 2 FM on TuneIn on the dot. No joy, could not find it.

Google Home picked it up straight away

Try "Are TE 2 FM". Worked just there for me.
    Can't get CDNX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 PeterMilford

Anyone tried the new multi-room system on Alexa. Works really well I'm finding, Don't think it'll hit the sweet spot until they finally integrate Sonos control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 PeterMilford

I'm not on Music unlimited and it works fine for me, separately, I really like the "Alexa, play some music to cook to" function.

• Advertisement

I'm not on Music unlimited and it works fine for me.

Interesting... I'll try when I go home.
    Unfortunately I use mostly dots connected to Bluetooth speakers downstairs and the multi-room makes them disconnect obviously to stop a delay in one room so it's only useful for me to listen to talk radio around the house while I'm cleaning or whatever. But it does work flawlessly otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭underwaterdog

Interesting... I'll try when I go home.
    Unfortunately I use mostly dots connected to Bluetooth speakers downstairs and the multi-room makes them disconnect obviously to stop a delay in one room so it's only useful for me to listen to talk radio around the house while I'm cleaning or whatever. But it does work flawlessly otherwise.

I thought I was the only one having this problem. I have two dots connected to bluetooth speakers for better sound; I won't bother with the multi room function without the bluetooth connection.

I thought I was the only one having this problem. I have two dots connected to bluetooth speakers for better sound; I won't bother with the multi room function without the bluetooth connection.

No the only thing that works is if you are able to connect with 3.5mm aux cable it still works as no delay involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭893bet

Anyone help me download the Alexa app to my iPhone?

If I try change my iTunes Store I am blocked due to an Apple Music membership.

If I try via Alexa.amazon website it directs me to the us apps store which won't let me download and then pushes me back to Ireland.

So awkward.

Ideas?

893bet wrote: »
    Anyone help me download the Alexa app to my iPhone?

If I try change my iTunes Store I am blocked due to an Apple Music membership.

If I try via Alexa.amazon website it directs me to the us apps store which won't let me download and then pushes me back to Ireland.

So awkward.

Ideas?
    Can't remember all the details but this is what I remember. Do it on a PC. Get a new email address. Set up a new apple id and use UK address and then it let's you select none as payment type so doesn't tie you to Ireland. When it's all set up you can change over to that account on your phone to the UK account via iTunes and then it should be in the app store.

You should be able to just request the desktop site in whatever browser you are using and avoid having to install the app at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

You should be able to just request the desktop site in whatever browser you are using and avoid having to install the app at all.

Forgive me now, but how do you do that? I'm a complete fool when it comes to this. I set up a new iTunes/Apple account this morning (UK address) but when it comes to logging in on the phone to download the app it asks me for billing details which don't work ('cos they're Irish)...

Stuck!

This should do it;

Visit https://alexa.amazon.co.uk
    and then follow the instructions below for the desktop site.
    https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/request-desktop-site-ios-9/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭893bet

Set it up on laptop! Very impressive kit for the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Sorted! Now to get playing with it!!

Advertisement