Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Anyone having problems with RTE stations on Tunein?

I have tried various platforms without success so its not just Alexa - see here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057781021

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

So impressed I just ordered the bigger version! Only 90euro from Amazon refurbished!

Can anyone advice on what address to use? Can't seem to get it to recognise I am in Limerick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

893bet wrote: »
    So impressed I just ordered the bigger version! Only 90euro from Amazon refurbished!

Can anyone advice on what address to use? Can't seem to get it to recognise I am in Limerick?

Try updating your address through the website rather than the app, it doesnt seem to like some irish addresses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Just received my echo today.
    I've had a good read of the thread but have a couple of questions.
    Has anyone connected their echo or dot to their fire tv or firestick?
    And can't get 98fm to play. It goes to some American station.
    Love it so far. Have my Spotify premium account linked for my playlists and have a few bulbs and smart plugs on the way 😃
    Cheers

• Advertisement

Phillips hue set and harmony hub delivered today. Hue worked out of the box butility you need serious patience setting up the Harmony Hub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

Can any one screen shot an irish address they have working?

All I am getting is an error notification no matter what I do.

The new episode of south park said a few things to my alexa...

893bet wrote: »
    Can any one screen shot an irish address they have working?

All I am getting is an error notification no matter what I do.

Make sure you are logged in to .uk and not .com
    It should be fine for irish addresses now with the recent updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

Anyone find with flash briefing that bbc is at low volume and the guardian is very high volume regardless of echo volume setting?
    Have shouted alexa volume down many times because of this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Anyone find with flash briefing that bbc is at low volume and the guardian is very high volume regardless of echo volume setting?
    Have shouted alexa volume down many times because of this

I find that when I ask her for the news that she reads out news from RTÉ and then switches to a BBC audio feed and then finishes with her reading out my local weather forecast for the day. Pretty good, all told.

I didn't know you could include the Guardian though. How do you get that, and is it better than BBC / RTÉ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Anatom wrote: »
    I find that when I ask her for the news that she reads out news from RTÉ and then switches to a BBC audio feed and then finishes with her reading out my local weather forecast for the day. Pretty good, all told.

I didn't know you could include the Guardian though. How do you get that, and is it better than BBC / RTÉ?

You can add it through the app. You can also change the order in which you get your briefing.

I find it's not as good as BBC as you don't get an actual news report - you get a robotic voice reading out news headlines.

Yeah, not a fan of that. The way she reads things sometimes, especially Irish words like Taoiseach, was funny at the beginning. Not so much now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭moonboy52

On the Home, The Guardian has the weekly long read and a science weekly long read. About 20 minutes long each and spoken by a real voice.

Can access them on their website anyway, but a nice feature nonetheless

Not checked if my dot has those two.

Sounds interesting, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Just got the echo for my birthday and can't download te app from the App Store. Tried changing region to U.K. And it won't allow me because of my App Store payment method being an Irish debit card..,
    Please help as I don't want this thing to be just a lump in the corner of my kitchen
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Just got the echo for my birthday and can't download te app from the App Store. Tried changing region to U.K. And it won't allow me because of my App Store payment method being an Irish debit card..,
    Please help as I don't want this thing to be just a lump in the corner of my kitchen
    Thanks
    Pretty sure this was asked once or twice before. Maybe try set it up via a browser?

Thanks

The answers to your questions are within this thread,just have a read through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blink44

Is there a way to set different flash briefings for different devices? I was thinking the person using the bedroom echo might want different flash briefings then the one used downstairs. Or is it best just to set them up on separate amazon accounts?

blink44 wrote: »
    Is there a way to set different flash briefings for different devices? I was thinking the person using the bedroom echo might want different flash briefings then the one used downstairs. Or is it best just to set them up on separate amazon accounts?

https://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/how-to-set-up-and-use-multiple-accounts-on-amazon-echo/

Try above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blink44

Thanks for the link, there doesn’t seem to be a “household” option in the settings in the UK app, maybe it’s only on the US version

Does anyone know if you set your echo to US and a fire stick to same will the echo control the fire stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

The answers to your questions are within this thread,just have a read through it.

Thanks got sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Got a few Ikea Tradfri bulbs and a hub today. Can't link to echo. I don't think it's easy to do. Has anyone else tried?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭woidoi

iamtony wrote: »
    Got a few Ikea Tradfri bulbs and a hub today. Can't link to echo. I don't think it's easy to do. Has anyone else tried?

They can't talk to each other directly just yet. Apparently there is an update being pushed out next month that will enable direct connection with both Alexa and Google Home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,319 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Do they connect to the hue hub?

woidoi wrote: »
    They can't talk to each other directly just yet. Apparently there is an update being pushed out next month that will enable direct connection with both Alexa and Google Home.

Thanks. I Googled it while I was in the shop and first article I came across said they worked but when I Checked it again later it had an update at the end saying they were wrong. Sick. For now I'll have to live with using the app on my phone or the remote or the motion sensor.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Do they connect to the hue hub?

Haven't tried. Well I have but the hue hub isn't Connected to my app on my phone, the missus has Control for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,319 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Haven't tried. Well I have but the hue hub isn't Connected to my app on my phone, the missus has Control for now.

I thought I read somewhere that the IKEA bulbs can connect to the Hue hub. If they can then surely Alexa should be able to work?

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I thought I read somewhere that the IKEA bulbs can connect to the Hue hub. If they can then surely Alexa should be able to work?

Yes I read that too, they both work on the same system. Fizzbit or something like that but I was in Ikea today so the thought of going upstairs to press the sync button and try is too much for me right now. Maybe tomorrow:-)

Advertisement