Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭niallb

iamtony wrote: »
    Got a few Ikea Tradfri bulbs and a hub today. Can't link to echo. I don't think it's easy to do. Has anyone else tried?
    Yes. I've had it working for a couple of months by linking the IKEA gateway to my openhab2 raspberry pi. Alexa works well with it then.
    The IKEA gateway doesn't work yet directly with Alexa, but most of the Tradfri bulbs seem to be able to link to Philips Hue with the most recent firmware update.
    I haven't tried it yet as my dimmer controls wouldn't work anymore and my lights are already working the way I want them to. The bulbs can only be linked to one bridge at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭WittyNameForMe

Alexa in now included in the Amazon Music App. Need to update to latest version and it is in the bottom right hand corner.

Amazon today is bringing Alexa to the Amazon Music app on iOS and Android, allowing listeners to use voice controls with their music. The feature is available in the U.S., U.K., Germany and Australia, the company says, and will let users do things like request a song, artist, or music for various activities or moods, like “road trips” or “running,” – the same as you can do with Alexa on Echo speakers.

You can also ask Alexa to play songs where you don’t know the name of the track, but only the lyrics – another option Echo owners have had for some time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

A bunch of cool new Amazon Alexa devices announced today!

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/27/16374254/amazon-event-2017-news-recap-echo-spot-fire-tv-hardware

- Echo Spot
    - Echo Plus
    - New Echo
    - Echo Connect
    - Echo Buttons

Also Echo Show and calling coming to the UK now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

bk wrote: »
    A bunch of cool new Amazon Alexa devices announced today!

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/27/16374254/amazon-event-2017-news-recap-echo-spot-fire-tv-hardware

- Echo Spot
    - Echo Plus
    - New Echo
    - Echo Connect
    - Echo Buttons

Also Echo Show and calling coming to the UK now.

That new Echo looks great. Might also add an Echo Spot.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The Echo Plus seems to be a smart hub with a zigbee radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The Echo Plus seems to be a smart hub with a zigbee radio.

Up on Amazon for pre-order now.

All-new Amazon Echo (2nd generation), Heather Grey Fabric https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0749YXKYZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_-UbZzb9MS8RXN

2nd Gen Echo

Introducing Echo Plus – With built-in smart home hub (Silver) – Includes Philips Hue Light Bulb https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075RLRGB5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_kWbZzbCV62W99

Echo Plus.

If you order three of the 2nd Gen Echo you get £50 off (not sure if it'll work with other Echo products) and if you order the Echo Plus you can add a Hue Bulb for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Having only a dot I might be interested in the new Echo and move the dot upstairs.

Then again, the Google Home looks interesting and may suit better. Any opinions?

Use mostly for Spotify integration, Hue and Harmony Hub also.
    Like to get my commute report every morning as well as weather news etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 echo_one

New ehco, echo show and echo connect have just been announced in amazon U.K. Due November and 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

echo_one wrote: »
    New ehco, echo show and echo connect have just been announced in amazon U.K. Due November and 2018

They are available the end of October/November 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Ah, it's a shame the new Fire TV doesn't have the rumoured Echo Dot built in - https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/9/11/16287812/amazon-new-fire-tv-2017-alexa.

Is there any way of getting the Fire TV / Echo Dot bundle from Amazon UK? I only see it on the US site.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    Then again, the Google Home looks interesting and may suit better. Any opinions?

I've both a GHome, Echo and Echo Dot.

I find GHome to be far better in understanding me and answering general questions. She is just smarter IMO.

I do find Alexa works fine for Spotify, Hue and Harmony (I've all of them too), as those the GHome, not much difference there. It is the general questions and AI where it falls down.

Having said that, these new products look cool. I just wish Alexa didn't use stupid Bing search and was smarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭niallb

All we need is "Alexa, ask Google Home..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

I've both a GHome, Echo and Echo Dot.

I find GHome to be far better in understanding me and answering general questions. She is just smarter IMO.

I do find Alexa works fine for Spotify, Hue and Harmony (I've all of them too), as those the GHome, not much difference there. It is the general questions and AI where it falls down.

Having said that, these new products look cool. I just wish Alexa didn't use stupid Bing search and was smarter.

Did you try out the Google search ability using the "unofficial skill" with the AWS account set up etc.
    Ive never got round to it yet

I have it and use it for general knowledge. It's reasonably easy to setup. Just make sure you follow the steps closely.
    So far, it's been set and forget. I still find it a bit odd asking Alexa to ask Google something.
    NOTE: I am on the old "Ask Google" skill which basically just does a Google search. The link below is for the updated Google Assistant skill which I haven't updated to so I don't know how good it is.
    https://github.com/tartanguru/alexa-assistant

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Think about getting an Echo Dot. However, I'm not much into music and I generally listen to podcasts in the car. It seems you can't use it to wake up to a specific radio station rather than an alarm. Is that correct? Already have an internet radio for that purpose anyway. :pac: I'd see the Dot more so for weather and reminders. Perhaps I should look at a Google Home, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭gartcork

Alexa calling, messaging and ‘Drop in’ now available. Just update your Alexa app 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

gartcork wrote:
    Alexa calling, messaging and ‘Drop in’ now available. Just update your Alexa app 🙂

Not for me 🀔🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭tanka006

Guys,

Any idea how to update the Alexa App?

I am using it on both iPad & PC.

I purchased an echo for my dad to replace his dot - due to his hearing problem.

The (refurbished) echo picked up the location perfectly - whereas the dot wouldnt

He is happy not having to say the location for forecast etc

Any advice please

Thank you

Tanka

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Not for me 🀔🀔

I just update on android and it enabled drop in but the app didn't ask me to add contacts or anything strange. The app didn't acknowledge anything actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

tanka006 wrote: »
    Guys,

Any idea how to update the Alexa App?

I am using it on both iPad & PC.

I purchased an echo for my dad to replace his dot - due to his hearing problem.

The (refurbished) echo picked up the location perfectly - whereas the dot wouldnt

He is happy not having to say the location for forecast etc

Any advice please

Thank you

Tanka
    updating on iPad should be as easy as going to the app store. I believe it's download able on the Irish store now.
    I didn't know there was an Alexa PC app so can't help you their.

• Advertisement

Updated, synced contacts, asked to setup drop in but I don't want that. Will test the texting / calling features when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭afatbollix

No Way would I be putting a camera on my bedside table

afatbollix wrote: »
    No Way would I be putting a camera on my bedside table

Black tape over the camera, problem solved!

BTW do you use your phone, tablet or laptop in bed? If yes, then you will want to put the same sticky tape over their cameras too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Anyone know version number of the updated app, my apps auto update and I'm not sure if mine got the update already or not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭south

How are people updating the android app? Do you set up a UK address in Google wallet and change to the UK store to update?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Suckler

iamtony wrote: »
    updating on iPad should be as easy as going to the app store. I believe it's download able on the Irish store now.

I still can't get it in the Irish store? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭south

south wrote: »
    How are people updating the android app? Do you set up a UK address in Google wallet and change to the UK store to update?

I got sorted in the end. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

How exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Can you explain how you did it please.

• Advertisement

Client Version 1.24.2698.0
    Bridge Version 2.1.366.5 <- this is the version number reported from the play store.

Advertisement