Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭gomara

long_b wrote: »
    Anyone know where to get the updated apk with calling? Link on Amazon UK opens the Play Store which just says "app not available in your country"

Google apkpure Alexa and you'll find it....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Don't currently own any voice activated units like those discussed here. Just have a few Hue lights. Was considering a Dot, or a new Echo. Also thinking of a Google Home Mini, but slightly put off by the switch re mute/unmute (well, based on a review). Feedback here is useful too re the quality of the smartness. :P Presume none of these are really available in Irish shops.

8nstand to be corrected but I’m sure I read somewhere that the Google Home Mini doesn’t have Bluetooth, which is essential for suc( a small device if you intend on using it for music. Another thing it doesn’t have is a line out, which just seems mean from Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭south

long_b wrote: »
    Anyone know where to get the updated apk with calling? Link on Amazon UK opens the Play Store which just says "app not available in your country"

PM me your email address and I'll send it to you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

south wrote: »
    PM me your email address and I'll send it to you

Got it from that apk site above.
    The calling will be very handy for contacting home base and for the kids to call me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Me again!!!
    Can anyone tell me what command they are using to play newstalk on tunein?
    Its changed to Jamaica Newstalk again!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Roosterreid

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Me again!!!
    Can anyone tell me what command they are using to play newstalk on tunein?
    Its changed to Jamaica Newstalk again!!!
    "Alexa, play Newstalk FM" works for me......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

Sister got Alexa for xmas last year. Was thinking of getting something related this year for the smart house concept such as the philip hue lights. What would people recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Roosterreid

scheister wrote: »
    Sister got Alexa for xmas last year. Was thinking of getting something related this year for the smart house concept such as the philip hue lights. What would people recommend
    A hub and one bulb (the colour ambiance are very nice) would be a great starting point.

Or one of the TP link plugs - allows you to run most things from it

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

it's very hard to argue with this post. I love the integration and all, and have lights and plugs and all my heating etc linked up...but at the end up the day her ability to act as an integration hub is great, but I can't shake the feeling that the AI part is pretty unintelligent. If only Amazon and Google would make friends... Alexa could be really great

Just FYI, all the home automation stuff works just as well on GHome IME. Pretty much everyone adds both GHome and Alexa support today at roughly the same time.
    Don't currently own any voice activated units like those discussed here. Just have a few Hue lights. Was considering a Dot, or a new Echo. Also thinking of a Google Home Mini, but slightly put off by the switch re mute/unmute (well, based on a review). Feedback here is useful too re the quality of the smartness. :P Presume none of these are really available in Irish shops.

Neither GHome or Alexa are officially available in Ireland, but both are pretty easy to get from the UK. I find GHome works very well in Ireland, Alexa is ok, but not as smart and the Bing search service behind it is really poor for Ireland IMO.

I wouldn't worry about the mute switch in the Mini, I find you never bother using the mute switch/button after the first day of playing with it.
    adox wrote: »
    8nstand to be corrected but I’m sure I read somewhere that the Google Home Mini doesn’t have Bluetooth, which is essential for suc( a small device if you intend on using it for music. Another thing it doesn’t have is a line out, which just seems mean from Google.

It does have Bluetooth, but can only be used as a Bluetooth target (as in play music from your phone on the Mini), but not as a sender (play from the mini to another Bluetooth speaker). And yes, I agree that is pretty useless. Though I figure they might enable the latter in future, the hardware is their to support it.

I agree on the lack of 3.5mm line out as sucking.

You can use Chromecast Audios to do the same and their is actually some advantage to those, but they do involve extra cost.
    scheister wrote: »

Philips Hue is excellent, but can become an expensive hobby :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Anyone know how to get newstalk on tunein. I used to be able to get it but now it keeps giving me an African station I've tried 'newstalk Ireland' 'newstalk 106' etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

dbnavan wrote: »
    Anyone know how to get newstalk on tunein. I used to be able to get it but now it keeps giving me an African station I've tried 'newstalk Ireland' 'newstalk 106' etc

It can be very hit and miss but Newstalk FM works for me . But if I keep getting the american station I try " play newstalk breakfast " on tune in. It will play a podcast from newstalk and then " Newstalk FM " will work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Play Newstalk radio Ireland works consistently for me

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Im tempted to go for the new Sonos 1 out next week.

Inbuilt Alexa support and Google Home support next year. Sounds great(in theory)

Doesnt have full Spotify voice integration yet which is putting off somewhat although is listed as coming soon.

One to think about anyway.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

New devices, the UE Blast and Megablast with Alexa built in:

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/10/19/16499038/ultimate-ears-blast-megablast-alexa-bluetooth-speakers

Looks pretty good, same as the UE Boom/Megaboom, but with microphone array and always listening Alexa. Waterproof and battery so portable.

I also love that you can buy a charging base for it.

I was thinking of wanting a GHome exactly like this just a few days ago. A portable, waterproof, battery Ghome, that could normally sit on a charger in your bedroom, but then you could pick it up and pring it into the bath or out to the back garden. I hope we will see a GHome version in future.

Only downside a little expensive and no Spotify support for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

bk wrote: »
    New devices, the UE Blast and Megablast with Alexa built in:

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/10/19/16499038/ultimate-ears-blast-megablast-alexa-bluetooth-speakers

Looks pretty good, same as the UE Boom/Megaboom, but with microphone array and always listening Alexa. Waterproof and battery so portable.

I also love that you can buy a charging base for it.

I was thinking of wanting a GHome exactly like this just a few days ago. A portable, waterproof, battery Ghome, that could normally sit on a charger in your bedroom, but then you could pick it up and pring it into the bath or out to the back garden. I hope we will see a GHome version in future.

Only downside a little expensive and no Spotify support for now.

Very pricey and looks fugly.
    No Spotify is a killer

The Tap will do more than this and is Amazon hardware.
    Main difference between them is waterproofing, battery life in the Tap is about 5 hours and sound is probably not as good but for a portable speaker it's damn fine

But.....the Tap dropped price to $80 last week and at that price it's a no brainer if you can get one shipped from the US

Well the lack of waterproofing is what kills the tap for me. After all one of the main uses for a device like this is to use it in the bathroom, by the pool, by the beach or out hiking. Also no charger base.

Disagree on the looks of the UE, I've a black UE Boom, looks very good, though obviously a certain rugged sporty look, which makes sense as that is what it is supposed to be for.

I totally agree these are overpriced and I'd prefer a GHome one then Alexa. I'm hoping that these are just the first of many similar cheaper devices.

I was just particularly impressed that I had been imagining a device exactly like this (waterproof, portable, charging stand) just a few days ago and now here it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Someone please ask alexa to play the scottish national anthem? Hilarious result for me.

Well the lack of waterproofing is what kills the tap for me. After all one of the main uses for a device like this is to use it in the bathroom, by the pool, by the beach or out hiking. Also no charger base.

Disagree on the looks of the UE, I've a black UE Boom, looks very good, though obviously a certain rugged sporty look, which makes sense as that is what it is supposed to be for.

I totally agree these are overpriced and I'd prefer a GHome one then Alexa. I'm hoping that these are just the first of many similar cheaper devices.

I was just particularly impressed that I had been imagining a device exactly like this (waterproof, portable, charging stand) just a few days ago and now here it is!

The Tap has a really great charging base. It comes with the Tap at no extra cost unlike the UE.

I have a few portable Bluetooth speakers and have never seen the need for waterproofing. It's just never occurred to me.
    We use them out in the garden, in the bathroom and in a backpack if we really need to bring it whilst out walking. It's just like a mobile phone really and we treat it the same. i.e don't get it wet or fling it in the bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

degsie wrote: »
    Someone please ask alexa to play the scottish national anthem? Hilarious result for me.

This thread needs more of these Alexa hacks and discoveries.

We use them out in the garden, in the bathroom and in a backpack if we really need to bring it whilst out walking. It's just like a mobile phone really and we treat it the same. i.e don't get it wet or fling it in the bath.

Well the biggest use for us would be in the bath. It would get daily use their (more my better half and child then me personally).

When I say "for a walk" I mean hiking up and down mountains all over Ireland. EVERY damn thing gets wet, bag gets soaked right through! I use a full waterproof case for my iPhone when I go hiking.

The vast majority of bluetooth speakers are waterproof, it was a miss by Amazon not to make the Tap waterproof too IMO.

• Advertisement

Well the biggest use for us would be in the bath. It would get daily use their (more my better half and child then me personally).

When I say "for a walk" I mean hiking up and down mountains all over Ireland. EVERY damn thing gets wet, bag gets soaked right through! I use a full waterproof case for my iPhone when I go hiking.

The vast majority of bluetooth speakers are waterproof, it was a miss by Amazon not to make the Tap waterproof too IMO.

True they may have missed a trick with waterproofing. But it's not right to say the vast majority of Bluetooth speakers are waterproof. I think it's the opposite.
    But I suppose that's the beauty of totally hands free operation. You can leave the speaker on a window sill in the bathroom away from the water and still have full control over it. No need to touch it or bring it in to the bath.

I suppose each to their own. The last thing I want when out walking in the countryside is some music blasting out of a speaker. Also Echo needs an internet connection so not ideal when you are miles away from civilization.

Our speakers get use in and around the house, garden etc. For that the Tap is perfect.
    If I want music on a long walk it will be via headphones.

But I suppose that's the beauty of totally hands free operation. You can leave the speaker on a window sill in the bathroom away from the water and still have full control over it. No need to touch it or bring it in to the bath.

I feel though just from the steam in the room that you would end up damaging the device over time, specially if it is used every day, as we do.
    I suppose each to their own. The last thing I want when out walking in the countryside is some music blasting out of a speaker. Also Echo needs an internet connection so not ideal when you are miles away from civilization.

But without a connection, it still works as a bluetooth speaker. You don't want to have to have two separate devices that are almost the same.

It is a decent device, and it is a pity that it isn't available in Europe and that Google don't have one too. But I think many people will be very happy to get a waterproof one too. Options, the more the better *

* And in fairness to Amazon, that is definitely the one advantage they have over GHome, the wide variety of devices and options, both first and third party.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

If I out hiking through beautiful nature and some bellend came round the corner with music blaring out of an Echo or similar device, I'd be tempted to grab it off them and **** it down a big hill.

If I out hiking through beautiful nature and some bellend came round the corner with music blaring out of an Echo or similar device, I'd be tempted to grab it off them and **** it down a big hill.

Let me point out that I would never play music while others are around or just walking by. However if you make up camp at the end of the evening and their is no one else around, then a bit of music is fine.

I've hiked across Norway, you can literally go days without meeting another human being!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Tempted to pre order the gen 2. Looks pretty good and £89 is cheaper than the gen 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

degsie wrote: »

Ha ha...doubt the Scots are too happy with that

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

does anybody know when the new "routines" feature will be rolled out. e.g. saying "alexa goodmorning" turn on lights, gives flash briefing, weather, traffic and turn on kettle
    it was mentioned when the new product line up was presented but no release date specified
    i know there are work-arounds to get it done but would prefer to do it the amazon way (at least try!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Folks, I know this has probably been asked time and again but I'm not sure whether to get the Echo or Google Home? I have a gmail account and an Android phone so that's my connection with Google. I'd like to try and automate the house to some degree so I would look at some lightbulbs though probably not the Hue range. I have a Chromecast etc as well.
    I just saw that the Echo Show can connect with camera's- does anyone know if the Chinese IP camera's are likely to work with them? I have four vStarCams at home.

I guess I'd probably use them to add entries to my calendar, play the radio and stream from Spotify etc. I'm not sure if either has a killer feature that makes it a clear winner over the other?

How did you decide which to go for?

I've both and IMO Google Home is better. I'm planning to go all GHome now. It is just smarter and is better at understanding you, answering questions and controlling things.

However GHome doesn't have an equivalent of the Show yet, though one was very strongly rumoured yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I've both and IMO Google Home is better. I'm planning to go all GHome now. It is just smarter and is better at understanding you, answering questions and controlling things.

However GHome doesn't have an equivalent of the Show yet, though one was very strongly rumoured yesterday.

Thanks bk. Do you know if Home works with the Yeelight bulbs from Xiaomi? I'm reading conflicting things on the net.

Advertisement