Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

^^^
    Try a factory reset using the pinhole reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

corvus4906 wrote: »
    Trying to install an echo today for a friend who got it in the states....having issues maybe someone can give a hand with.... I sideloaded the Echo App to their android phone via an APK (as you can't get the app here in Ireland)

App installed fine and i could log into their Amazon account without issue....but i get stuck at the activation screen:

403602.jpeg

it just keeps spinning for hours. Any ideas what to do?

Edit: Apologies for the large screenshot image - woops.

Had a similar issue.... hung indefinitely. Ended up installing app on tablet and completed fine though tablet. Logged into app on phone then and it connected and worked fine. I've a galaxy S4. Hope it helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

kennM wrote: »
    iPhone Alexa App setup in Ireland.

Hey guys, before i get flamed i did a bunch of reading but no joy..... sorry in advance for long post.

Friend of mine bought an Echo but having difficulties getting app installed. Tried switching Apple account location to UK or US but its looking for credit card details registered in US or UK... rejecting ROI cards. Tried setting paymemt option on account to NONE amd then switching but it looks like UK/US doesnt have that option and again looks for a card... back to square 1.

Tried creating a new AppleID with no payment option against US/UK (tried both) and logged into it on phone... back to square 1, US/UK registered card.

How to install Alexa app on iPhone.. all help appreciated. Have Android myself and it was a doddle... appreciate it gurus ;)

I posted about this previous, what was wrong with my account was I had used Apple Music before and it had tied a subscription to my account. I had it closed but was still listed so wouldn't allow me to move to "none" for credit card

I used the online chat function with Apple and 30 seconds they have removed the subsciption and allowed me to select none. I could change country then no problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Any recommendation for Bluetooth speaker? I was thinking Sonos but I don't think it is supported? Looking around that budget....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Any recommendation for Bluetooth speaker? I was thinking Sonos but I don't think it is supported? Looking around that budget....

First of all you are correct, the cheap sonos systems don't currently support Echo dot, though they are supposedly working on support.

BTW Sons make a whole range of speakers, that range in price for £150 (on sale) up to £350. So it depends really.

The UE Boom 2 and UE Mega Boom are two good options IMO. If you want better then that, then I think the Audioengines 5's are pretty great, but expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭currants

I bought the Anker wireless A3143 from amazon and alexa picked it up easily. I'm not a total audiophile though, it sounds great for 20 watts. I got it for £38 but its £ 44 normally,I think it was a flash deal that gave me 15% off. I have an 84 year old here who is in love with alexa :D Classic FM without fiddling with DAB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Ok picked up the Echo and Dot over the weekend and set up the Echo last night. Got it linked to my Spotify. TP Link and Netatmo heating. Have one of the TP Links set up as Xmas tree so had fund saying Xmas tree lights on/off. However when I said Christmas tree it also recognised that also. Set up the group downstairs lights and able to do turn all these off.  Also paired it via Bluetooth with phone and could play songs for this and sound quality good  and just have to say Alexa volume up/down.

Also was listening to radio station today via TuneIn and then asked to turn on Xmas tree lamps. Sound went down and lights came on so did not know you could do another command while one was still going.

Collecting Hue lights and Hub tonight so will try to sort this out and ordering a Philips Hue go on Amazon as cheaper there than in UK and no price match for online stores. Take it just choose Prime option for free month then order then cancel Prime subscription?

Few questions.

Had to download the Echo Android app as not available on the Play store. However if this app is updated how can I do this?

Is there any way of changing the name Alexa? I keep on calling it Alexis (after Alexis Sanchez for obvious reasons) before I realising I called it the wrong name. I know it’s bad to call someone not their real name but can this be changed?

Also I put the Echo on Snooze. However its set up beside the CD system so if it’s on snooze can it still take commands if it picks up something from Stereo or TV as picked up something last night while watching something on phone?

I will be setting up the Dot upstairs do I have to go through the same procedure for lining in the TP Link spotify etc. I want to use this as an Alarm clock so can it be set up to repeat daily alarm at 7 am except at the weekend and when I am off / away?

Also can it be set up to wake up to a particular Tune In station or remember the stations I want to?

Will have fun tonight setting up the Hub but these are my initial questions

Cheers

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Few questions.

Had to download the Echo Android app as not available on the Play store. However if this app is updated how can I do this?

You will have to manually download the updated apk.
    Is there any way of changing the name Alexa? I keep on calling it Alexis (after Alexis Sanchez for obvious reasons) before I realising I called it the wrong name. I know it’s bad to call someone not their real name but can this be changed?

You can change the wake word in settings to either "Amazon" or "Echo"
    I will be setting up the Dot upstairs do I have to go through the same procedure for lining in the TP Link spotify etc. I want to use this as an Alarm clock so can it be set up to repeat daily alarm at 7 am except at the weekend and when I am off / away?

Some things won't need to be set up again, for instance your home automaton tech, however I think alarms are separate per device.

Cheers
    How do I check for what version I have as I checked the app on my phone and its client version 1.24.842.00 Bridge 1.16.4.5 is this the latest one? If not and I download an updated version do I have to go through linking everything again?
    Going to keep the Echo as Alexa and change upstairs Dot to Dot so no confusion
    Going to mess around with it more later and set up Dot and Hue lights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

bk wrote: »
    First of all you are correct, the cheap sonos systems don't currently support Echo dot, though they are supposedly working on support.

BTW Sons make a whole range of speakers, that range in price for £150 (on sale) up to £350. So it depends really.

The UE Boom 2 and UE Mega Boom are two good options IMO. If you want better then that, then I think the Audioengines 5's are pretty great, but expensive.

You can obtain some fairly basic Sonos control via Echo if you use the Yonomi app (IFTTT not working here yet). As in turn on and play a specific Sonos favorite. So you can set up multiple routines to play specific stations or music favorites - Deezer flow in my case. It's of course as mentioned - basic - but it's a good start. When Sonos support is rolled out next year I expect it to be more advanced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I got my hue lights going on and off.
    Is there anyway of getting the scenes to work?

I got my hue lights going on and off.
    Is there anyway of getting the scenes to work?

You need to install the Hue skill.

Ok tried installing the Hue Starter Kit last night and thought I would post here first as trying to control lighting via the Amazon Echo(downstairs) and Dot (upstairs)

Just wanted to test the one light with Echo so got everything set up. Put one light in and called in Living and put this in the downstairs lights and under Hue its under Room ‘Living Room’ Got it so that I can turn on the ‘living’ light and also turn on downstairs lights. Also can request Alexa to dim lights. However how do I get Echo to brighten lights tried bright lights tried increase lights but no joy?

Associated it under Smart Home on the Echo app and can see that that the light is called Living under my devices. At the moment Its offline as I think Miss Gunner used the light switch to turn it off this morning I guess that is why its offline?. Also under Your Devices I have Dimmed in Living room, Hue Color Lamp 2, Concentrate in Living room, Bright in Living room, relax in living room, Energize in Living Room, All Hue Lights, nightlight in Living Room, Spring Blossom in living room, Arctic Aurora in Living room, Savanna sunset in Living room, Colorloop in living room.

I want to be able to dim, brighten, change colour on the lights via Echo. I thought I could do this via the IFTTT app but seemingly only available to US users. I also want to set timers on the Hue lights, but this is more a question for the Hue FAQ discussion. I want to have this option on both the Dot and Echo so that I can control all lights via both Dot and Echo

Any advise and I can try later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I'm using IFTTT but I'm signed in through .uk but I do have a .com account as well
    how do I check which one it is connected to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

FYI: I just got an email to be part of the beta testers for SONOS and one of the questions was "do you have an amazon echo or echo dot"

It's due to start in January so hopefully we will be looking at some sort of official echo / SONOS integration soon.

Skerries wrote: »
    I'm using IFTTT but I'm signed in through .uk but I do have a .com account as well
    how do I check which one it is connected to?

Did I read something that IFTTT has been released against UK also? Announcement was only last night I believe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Did I read something that IFTTT has been released against UK also? Announcement was only last night I believe?
    Yup:
    https://ifttt.com/amazon_alexa

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭underwaterdog

Amazon Echo down to £129.99
    Amazon Echo Dot down to £44.99

Not as big a discount as the Black Friday sales but still a discount.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

well f&^k it anyway, ordered 3 dots and the harmony elite last night, better halfs xmas present to me.

mossym wrote: »
    well f&^k it anyway, ordered 3 dots and the harmony elite last night, better halfs xmas present to me.

If you kick up a little bit of a fuss you'll get the discounted price... I bought echo at £150 and it dropped to £120? for black Friday sales/that week sales. Within 30 days you can return based on change of mind and get your money back. A little bit of common sense and you'll eventually find the right person who'll process the refund.

Ultimately if you return they have processing cost for returned stock, product they can't resell at full price, restocking etc. etc. etc. Cheaper for them to just give you the small discount as token of good will and off you go happy :)

Got £30 back, so will probably use it to but another dot ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

IFTTT reported working in UK now. Can anyone confirm?

need to read previous posts :(:o

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭underwaterdog

What IFTTT recipes are people using?

If you kick up a little bit of a fuss you'll get the discounted price... I bought echo at £150 and it dropped to £120? for black Friday sales/that week sales. Within 30 days you can return based on change of mind and get your money back. A little bit of common sense and you'll eventually find the right person who'll process the refund.

Ultimately if you return they have processing cost for returned stock, product they can't resell at full price, restocking etc. etc. etc. Cheaper for them to just give you the small discount as token of good will and off you go happy :)

Got £30 back, so will probably use it to but another dot ;)

yup, got a 15gbp refund after chatting to a service agent. result!!

thanks

Great to see that IFTTT is finally working on the Echo.
    What IFTTT recipes are people using?

On my Google Home, I've set up a recipe, that goes "Hey Google, food is ready" and I get a notification from the IFTTT app on my phone. Makes it easier for the better half to call me.

I also use IFTTT to control Logitech Harmony remotes and my Netatmo heating, but those are unnecessary on Echo as it has Skills for those devices.

I have Echo, Dot,Netatmo,Hue and Hue go.

What are the advantages of IFTTT that I can't do already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

I have Echo, Dot,Netatmo,Hue and Hue go.

What are the advantages of IFTTT that I can't do already?

Make your hue light turn blue or blink when it starts to rain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I'm not seeing IFTTT - just the IFTTT Maker Connect skill.

Make your hue light turn blue or blink when it starts to rain?

what do you mean start, you mean it's finally stopped?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

mossym wrote: »
    what do you mean start, you mean it's finally stopped?

Blue lights, blue lights everywhere.

• Advertisement

see a strong rumour on another forum that voice commands for harmony integration are coming shortly, not just the start activities but pause play volume up/down. would be superb if true

Advertisement